Mythbusters: Reality Or Dramatic? What Do You Allow In Your RPGS?

Bluenose

Adventurer
History has so many examples of things that would be rejected as implausible in a work of fiction that I'd hesitate to reject anything simply because I don't find it 'realistic'. That said, just because I let you do something once 'because it's a cool trick' doesn't mean I'll let you pull it off a second time. Strange things happening, fine; reliance on strange things happening, not so much.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
...and that arguing against the results is too much like arguing that two plus two does not equal four.

In my fantasy games, with sufficiently large values of two, one could possibly win that argument. :)

No light without dark, no good without evil - and no cool without the impossible and the mundane.

One can have light without darkness. Darkness is an absence of light. If all is light, there is no darkness. Shifting to metaphysics, the same applies to good and evil. Evil is the absence of goodness.

Thus, it is not beyond the realm of possibility that everything is cool and/or impossible.

I'm not sure I'd like to try to run that particular game, but it'd be worth a try.

Betote

First Post
I try to keep things in the "plausible" end of the spectrum (well, as much as one's able to do that while playing D&D, at least). The Rule of Cool appears once in a while, although I don't like it very much, as it tends to mean just "Rule of Please the DM".

Kraydak

First Post
Bluenose;5139270... That said said:
You certainly weren't the only one saying this, but as a player I find this the worst possible option: it enshrines "mommy-may-I?"

I don't care if it is for "cool", or because the player brought pizza, or the DM was having a bad day, mommy-may-I is bad.

Either bullets are a legitimate weapon to attack ropes with, in which case we get to look up rope hp and figure it out, or they aren't. (or, more likely, they are really really bad at it, and do significantly reduced damage)

Question: I love the Myth Busters show, but missed that episode. Did they determine what happens when the bullet is able to hit the rope directly in the center?

Depends on the game for me. As others have said, I try to keep things plausible, and in most campaigns, I would probably allow an attempt at this but make it very unlikely (by applying a serious penalty). On the other hand, if the game was heroic, I would probably not put a penalty in place.

One thing I've noticed though is you can have five people at the table, and five different notions of what is within the realm of possibility. Normally I don't like saying to my players, well I don't think that could ever happen so I won't allow it.

Quantum

First Post
Question: I love the Myth Busters show, but missed that episode. Did they determine what happens when the bullet is able to hit the rope directly in the center?

Yes they did. It did not break the rope.

And they did show it on high speed.

The Shaman

First Post
Two things...

... do you have a lifetime of experience doing all the things adventurers --in their various genres-- do? Have you been in a car chase . . .
Yes.
. . . forged a horseshoe . . .
I helped shoe horses, but I didn't actually forge the shoes.
. . . conspired against a Pope or mafia boss?
No, but I have conspired. Details will not be forthcoming, so don't ask.
Ever been EVA?
Closest I came was stepping out onto the skid of a hovering helecopter to land on a mountain peak.
Built a bridge?
Several.
Not yet, but I'm planning on taking lessons soon.
Have you been paragliding while being shot at by former KGB?
This relates to the conspiracy question above, so I'm afraid it's something I can't answer in this arena. Or I'd have to kill you all.

(That would be no on the paragliding and KGB agents.)

See where this is going? I have no doubt many participants in our hobby are more knowledgeable and talented than me. I also have no doubt --well, little-- that most GM's are called on to adjudicate such a wide variety of usually unusual actions --par for the course, really-- that most of the time they're talking out of their asses, plausibility-wise. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
No, most of the time they're using a lifetime of accumulated information to adjudicate rules interpretations, rules which already do most of the heavy lifting.

You don't need to be an expert, and you don't need to be one-hundred percent accurate every single time, but if you stop trying to be, you'll find you get more right than you get wrong.
...and two... do you have the time in the middle of a session to look up all things you don't readily know, to reference the whole of recorded history, or, barring that, wikipedia? I'm sure a competent DM could maintain a significant level of realism given enough research time.
Not every question needs to be answered immediately, and if you answer one wrong, you can correct yourself in the future.
I don't mean to come off like I'm denigrating anyone's preference for realism, or their skill sets, or for that matter their common sense and judgment. It's just my experience that 'realism' when discussed by gamers means something like 'I get my area of expertise/hobbies correct and everything else is a crap shoot'.
Which is why I prefer the term "verisimilitude," myself.

Bluenose

Adventurer
You certainly weren't the only one saying this, but as a player I find this the worst possible option: it enshrines "mommy-may-I?"

I don't care if it is for "cool", or because the player brought pizza, or the DM was having a bad day, mommy-may-I is bad.

Either bullets are a legitimate weapon to attack ropes with, in which case we get to look up rope hp and figure it out, or they aren't. (or, more likely, they are really really bad at it, and do significantly reduced damage)

If reality was entirely consistent, I might side with your argument. It isn't, always. While I dislike GNS theory, if I accepted it as legitimate I'd be a much bigger fan of the 'N' part than the 'S' part. So yes, if someone comes up with an idea that I like, I'll let them try it rather than try to determine whether it would work in reality. For one thing, I don't know everything about reality to judge it.

steenan

Adventurer
I, generally, keep to what is plausible. On the other hand, I condider what is plausible in the game setting and genre, not in the real world. While some games are quite reallistic, others definitely are not - but that does not mean they lack their own consistency. In Exalted, I would allow a PC to break the rope with no roll at all (and to do it with a roll if he was, at the same time, duelling his nemesis atop a skyship). In Call of Cthulhu I would strongly suggest seeking another solution.

I don't think I would ever use a detailed mechanics (like object AC and HP) for shooting a rope. In most cases, such constructs are based on mechanics designed to model completely different situations (like people fighting) and, thus, have no consistency with the rest of the game, neither in "physical" nor in dramatic sense. And in the rare cases where the mechanical system is this detailed and consistent, it is too unwieldy and complicated to use, at least for me.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
When I was young I strove for realism but as I get older I go more with the Rule of cool. It must be genre appropiate but as an old Twilight 2000 GM of mine once put it, "If it would look good in the movie, it should probably work".

Remove ads