Modified Black Widow Encounter: 4e Adv 7

Hey folks... if you is in my campaign... GET OUT!

:)

I have attached the almost final draft of the Black Widow encounter in the Trial of the Echoed Souls, in which the heroes catch up to a pair of Assassins.

Please review and let me know how horribly I mangled this one!

Thanks

Attachments

• Black Widow Encounter.pdf
    432.6 KB · Views: 173

I like.

I'm not sure the threat of falling asleep is the right tone for the encounter. You might want to swap out the traditional drow poison for something more injurious. I mean, actual black widows don't put you to sleep. They hurt like hell and can paralyze. Latrodectism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say ongoing 5 poison damage and -2 penalty to attacks (save ends). First failed save: target also is weakened from pain (save ends).

I actually would really like to run the Phorros Irrendra part of adventure 7 in 4e. Hit and run and skirmishing work really well in this ruleset.

I am glad you like, and will consider the more injurous poison.
I agree that 4e is alot easier to run skirmishes and mobile combats. I can readily imagine Phorros Irrendra as an extended scene from Avatar, with the Assassins fading into the branches only to re-appear and attack from odd directions... like from underneath the branch your standing on.

Flip thought, 'falling asleep' can be skinned as 'paralyzing pain wracking the body' and puts the onus on the rest of the party to rescue the PC. Ongoing damage + Weakened just means less effective until they finally make that save instead of 'out of combat until your team-mate helps out'

I will be working on doing the chase of Rhuarc later, incorperating skill challenges to a great extent.... you wouldn't happen to know someone who is already working on converting these adventures who needs a proof-reader? :)
{Hey, I haven't hinted at that for at least two months now!}

Oh..
P.S. This is for a group of 15th level characters.

Just an update, last Friday nights session was where the PC's reached the Black Widow encounter... and despite my best efforts they decided to talk thier way out of it.

.. So I still have no idea if I overdid this encounter :)

Instead they headed off to find Rhuarc at the Forge, where he was waiting for them. The battle there went very well, I had three Oblivion Wraiths in the forge itself, and Rhuarc sniping from up above.

I thought it went very well :)
Next session, the chase him to the Hallows!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hmmm? You've modified an encounter in an adventure we haven't written yet? I'm impressed! :D

Maybe I should have said 'modified from 3x in advance of the official 4e version that I haven't had a chance to get into the proof-reading group for' :)

But, I will be posting more of my conversions... especially the Rhuarc set, once I get the rest of it written down :)

Remove ads