[pfrpg]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
I can only think of two times that we've ever referred to alignment in games I've been in. Once during a game that used Slaad heavily, we had to check alignments because they had a spell that has different effects based on how close to the chaotic scale you were. Chaotic = no damage, neutral = 1/2, lawful = full.
The other time is in a game we currently have on going in the Legacy of Fire AP. Our whole party is composed of paladins so there are some things we can't do and others we need to be completely clear on our motives for. For example, we don't have an issue stealing something important from evil guys (ie, not money, but a key or documents we need). However we can't torture prisoners for information, but we can punish them for their crimes including a death sentence. It's made for some interesting conversations. We've had to argue evil as a result of environment or evil as an integral part of their being after we captured a gnoll bandit who asked for mercy. It comes up a bit more in this game but only as a reminder that the players need to make decisions that are in line with their character. We have a history of "kill everyone first, then Speak with Dead second." so we're trying to break out of that mold.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I'm still here. Sorry I haven't gotten to posting my character as of yet; reality is a harsh mistress. I should have it up sometime tomorrow. :)

rangerjohn

Explorer
fireinthedust, can go over Ragnor again? Also guys, Ragnor had plenty of funds to purchase the wagon and team, and food for 200 man/days so keep that in mind when making purchases.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Rangerjohn: I'm not saying don't be a Barbarian, but I want you to have him *as* a barbarian if you're going to be one. It's like if you wanted to be an eldritch knight: why are you a fighter *and* a wizard? (or are you going Swordmage, I dunno). I thought a barbarian who discovered sorcery through his rage wasn't awful, actually. (Still, if you're primary caster guy, why lose a level of that?)
That's the thing I was asking. It's still there, even if you're a straight sorcerer: why decide to be a Dragon Disciple? What is it that distinguishes him from other sorcerers?

Glasseye: I've been thinking: if you've got a mysterious past, should you as a player know it? Like Wolverine not knowing his past for (insert my childhood) years, until a recent (movie-related and awful) origins reveal.
If you leave it up to me, I could work *something* into the setting (though not necessarily the plot, per se), and you could puzzle it out. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be exactly what you said; but if you know, then why try figuring things out? And how do I keep you on your toes?
Could I try coming up with a reason he woke up in the snow with a doll in his hand?

Money: don't buy everyone else stuff. You just happen to have a pile of money right now, I guess. So long as the shopping list is basic... also, maybe your party just got paid for another job, but in rolls of silk and ribbons, jars of tea, sugar, spice, and everything nice. (and a puppy dog tail for Sindri's Troll, if he's good).

It's everyone pitching in for the wagon.

What is a Flamberge? I can't find it in my hardcopy (so pretty, that book)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Glasseye: I've been thinking: if you've got a mysterious past, should you as a player know it? Like Wolverine not knowing his past for (insert my childhood) years, until a recent (movie-related and awful) origins reveal.
If you leave it up to me, I could work *something* into the setting (though not necessarily the plot, per se), and you could puzzle it out. I'm not saying that it wouldn't be exactly what you said; but if you know, then why try figuring things out? And how do I keep you on your toes?
Could I try coming up with a reason he woke up in the snow with a doll in his hand?

I'm ultimately willing to leave the why's and what for's up to you to determine. Let me propose something and see if you are ok with this idea: Sindri wakes in the snow very near the Irrisen border, broken doll, Half-Jack; just like before but he has the memories of life as Sindri the Ulfen warrior from the Lands of the Linnorm Kings complete with former desire to become one of the Blackravens and current desire to get far away from where he is now. He initially tries to kill Half-Jack but the little guy gets away. Sindri goes back to his village but nothing is the same: no one he remembers is there, no one knows him, and no one really want to talk to him because of the glowing rune on his forehead. He travels west towards Kalsgard and all the while Jack keeps making overtures. He runs into Ragnar who sees the matching runes and convinces Sindri to at least listen to what the goblin has to say. All Half-Jack has to tell him though is that they are linked and the basics of his summoning; a reluctant beginning to their alliance. They hop ship at Kalsgard and begin working their way south, etc., etc. Sindri's only memory of what happened at the border is that of black flapping wings and it makes him nauseous to think about it, so he doesn't as much as possible.

I kinda like the quasi Rip van Winkle aspect of the above idea but could also go with having everything a blank before he woke up in that snowdrift, skipping the village scene, and picking up his history from there. Let me know which of these you prefer or if you have a third option.

As for figuring things out and keeping me on my toes? Sindri doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to plumb the mysteries of the universe (he's more like the happy-go-lucky grasshopper than the ant from that tale) so it may not ever be relevant unless you make it an issue.

Side note: still working on finishing the mechanics of Sindri/Jack. It's like two characters in one and taking me longer to complete than anticipated. Plus I keep going back to the fun history/description part, lol.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm ultimately willing to leave the why's and what for's up to you to determine.

I like both options. Maybe he remembers *a* village, and couldn't find them at all. I dunno!

As for figuring things out and keeping me on my toes? Sindri doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to plumb the mysteries of the universe (he's more like the happy-go-lucky grasshopper than the ant from that tale) so it may not ever be relevant unless you make it an issue.

Me? No. The rest of the Universe? Well... that's another kettle of pickled fish, isn't it?

Side note: still working on finishing the mechanics of Sindri/Jack. It's like two characters in one and taking me longer to complete than anticipated. Plus I keep going back to the fun history/description part, lol.

I'm the same way. I also get sidetracked by people who absolutely must have me talk to them the moment I settle down to actually working or doing something productive. guh.

grufflehead

First Post
You're looking suspiciously full, fireinthedust - got as many as you can handle for now?

Funnily enough I generated a level 6 PC for another game that never started, so if you need an alternate (or can fit in 1 more now) let me know.

Have fun all!

rangerjohn

Explorer
Flamberge was on the web link you gave. I would have gone straight greatsword on reflection. It gave 18-20 crits without the exotic weapon proficiency that I can see.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases