P90x

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Anyone here doing or done the P90X workout system?

I'm on day 62, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm seeing results, and I'm feeling results.

Anyone else?

Bullgrit

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
I know one of the guys on the informercial.

I have a bunch of friends who like it. I'm not sure I could do it.

jcayer

Explorer
I've finished 2 rounds of P90x, it is an awesome workout. I am relatively happy with the results, but since I failed to follow the diet, I didn't drop a lot of weight. I did move a lot of it around.

I hurt my shoulder at the start of round 3, so I switched over to Insanity. Not nearly as well rounded as P90x, but still a great sweat. I have a blog for Insanity here: Josh's Fitness Blog if anyone is interested.

Both products provide great workouts and I would recommend them in a second.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Jdvn1 said:
I know one of the guys on the informercial.
Which guy? But I'm not real familiar with the infomercial -- I've only seen maybe 5 minutes total of it (not all at one time). I'm familiar with the guys and girls in the videos themselves very well :)

jcayer said:
I've finished 2 rounds of P90x, it is an awesome workout. I am relatively happy with the results, but since I failed to follow the diet, I didn't drop a lot of weight. I did move a lot of it around.
Two rounds, that's impressive. I'll probably just go into "maintain mode" after my first round to get where I want to be. 6 days a week, 1.5 hours a day is just too much for me to keep up forever. I think I can do 3-4 days a week regularly.

I'm following the diet mostly -- I fall off the wagon at least once a week. I'm loosing some weight, (12# so far), but I wasn't real fat to begin with -- mostly just softer than I wanted to be.

If my weight loss keeps at the same rate, I might loose up to 20# by 90 days. That'll make me pretty lean. I'm doing this regiment for fitness, but I'm not unhappy with any weight loss.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
I've used it for awhile now. I've modified it to run almost year round, by combining it with Insanity, one other work out system for flexibility, the PT and athletic training I developed myself over the years, and the set of weight lifting and strength programs I've gotten from others or developed myself.

Since I've had my back broken and one knee shattered I sometimes have to modify certain exercises, or skip them for others. That's another thing I like about the program, it is easy to modify exercises. It's very versatile and flexible.

I think the program very effective, I like it a lot, and I think the principles upon which it is based are very interesting and sound. My results have been, and are, good.

I didn't use the diet, but one of my own. But I didn't think the diet was bad.

When I have little time for exercise I instead substitute the 10 Minute Trainer by the same guy.
I like that too. It's very convenient.

I think those are very good workout products.
He did a good job. It's the best commercial program I've ever seen or used.

P.S.: By the way I wanted to mention this also, as a little sidenote. My youngest daughter had asthma from an early age. She used to have very violent coughing attacks, with accompanying tachycardia.

Rather than go the traditional medicine route I did a lot of research and eventually ended up following Teddy Roosevelt's program for curing asthma. in addition we changed her diet, got her to play sports (Roosevelt), had her take up distance running (when I was a kid I ran distance), got rid of all processed sugars and sodas, got her outside and into the air and sun a lot more often (Roosevelt), etc, etc.

But my kids also often follow along with me during P90X or 10 Minute Trainer (if we're short on time). Now all of the things we did concerning treating her asthma were important and necessary. They all eventually helped, and now the only time she ever suffers an attack is in the height of winter, and even then her attacks are light and very mild by comparison.

But in my opinion I also credit P90X as being very helpful in suppressing her asthma, as well as strengthening her body and improving up her respiratory function. Dramatically even, I'd say.

I suspect this is because of the emphasis on almost continual movement as well as the heavy aerobic load it demands.
It took her a lot longer at first to build up to the exercises than we did, but once she began to strengthen, her improvement was rapid and for her age she can keep up with us throughout entire routines now.

I think that much improved cardio-respiratory function is a side benefit of the way the program works. More so perhaps than with other programs.

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.

jcayer

Explorer
Someone commented on how they'd go into maintenance mode after the first round. That's up to you, but I saw some substantial improvements the second time around. It certainly helped that my brother and I did it at the same time. We didn't work out together, but shared our daily results and really pushed hard.

One of the really great things about P90x is Tony continually tells you to write it down. The next time you do the workout, you look at that number and think...one more this time. And if you push, you can make that one more and show improvement almost every workout.

There is a guy on the infomercial who finished his 5th time and called it P-lifetime-X. I have to say, there is no reason that can't be the case. The 1.25-1.5 hours a day is a tough commitment, so you need to work it into your life. I do mine first thing in the morning and that means getting up between 4:30 and 5:00. As an aside, I mentioned I'm doing Insanity right now, the first round of those videos is....40 minutes a day, a nice change.

Remove ads