Random Inn Generator w/Floorpalns and now Menus

Janx

Hero
I'll have to look into a way of allowing that in the future. For now I guess you just just gen a couple of different ones ahead of time and dump them to the printer or print them to a pdf file. (Tools like PrimoPDF and CutePDF will allow you to save any web page as a pdf by simply going to your browser's "Print" button and choosing the pdf utility instead of a normal printer.)

Good point! Expect this in a future revision.

On the privies, just because there's no plumbing, doesn't mean there isn't a chamber pot under neath the seat, that then must be taken out back...

On the printing:
make a page that is "just the output" no other controls, Then thrown in a Print, or Save As button. You can set the MIME type to word, and MS Word will automatically intepret it. or get a html2pdf converter (there's free stuff for PHP).

Personally, when I use random generators, I copy/paste from them to my Word document for my adventure. I may include a hyperlink to the tool with the random seed/variables set in it, so I can reproduce it from the site.

On random development ideas:

consider a similar tool to produce shops and homes. For shops, having an inventory of their merchandise would be similar to producing a menu.

With this, then you could produce a whole city, with all the houses and shops and inns.

One of the project ideas I had, was based on what Jamis Buck started but never finished. He had built a Dungeon Generator, treasure generator, and NPC generator. But he never fully connected the dots.

Here's the mega-development plan, as I saw it:

build an NPC generator
build an NPC gear generator and connect it to the NPC generator
build a Monster encounter generator (produces stat blocks from DB content)
build a treasure generator and connect it to the Monster encounter generator
build a random encounter generator and connect it to the monster encounter geneator
build a dungeon generator and connect it to the random encounter generator and NPC generator
build building generators (inns, shops, homes, etc)
build a town generator and connect it to the building and NPC generators
build a world map generator and connect it to the town and dungeon generators

you now have a fully random generated game world.

As with any random generator, the results are subject to editing by the GM. But it could produce a lot of initial content, for the GM to fluff out later.

The problem with Jamis's tools, was it would only go halfway. The dungeon generator would give me rooms and treasure, and the name and quantity of monsters, but not the stat block data, so I'd have to go hunt that down to build out my adventure document.

The NPC generator woudl give you a character, but not his ggear. So that meant using another tool to generate that.

It's about building small tools that can be tied into other tools in logical ways to produce more complete content.

Remove ads