Mass Effect movie confirmed

BrooklynKnight

First Post
Ok. I'm saying this now. If they don't bring back at least SOME of the Voice Actors from the game to reprise their roles in the movie then they are gonna be making a HUGE mistake.

Even if the movie follows a different story then the game we should at least see some of the actors show up. Like the guy who played Anderson (who also played Goliath in Disneys Gargoyles) and c'mon, they have GOT to get Sarah, err Yvonne to reprise her role as whats her name from the second game.....

Oh oh! Can't forget Troi as the blue alien Matriarch!

WanderingMonster

First Post
Well I think Keith David as Captain Anderson and Seth Green as Joker are two must haves. Marina Sirtis might be the right age to play an asari matriarch. It almost* doesn't matter who they get to play Shepard if they get the supporting cast right. I think the big question is, which ME characters do you introduce at the onset? There are so many, it can get pretty overburdened by them in a short while.

If I had to keep a short list for the main ME1 characters that belong in the movie, they would be:

Ashley
Garrus
Wrex
Liara

They should introduce the following supporting characters so we know them well enough for their big roles in the *ahem* sequel:

Illusive Man/Cerberus
Miranda
Tali**

*of course, I know it matters very much!
**I can't get enough Tali, but her story in ME2 is SOOO much better.

Felon

First Post
**I can't get enough Tali, but her story in ME2 is SOOO much better.
With the mask, the hood, and backwards legs, I always think of Tali as an anthropomorphocized greyhound.

Joker, Thane, Garrus, Legion, Jack, Mordin, and Wrex are the must-haves. I rather like Zaeed's voicework, but there are better antiheroes in the mix.

Falkus

Explorer
If a Mass Effect movie is going to be good, it can't be based on the games, just the universe. Maybe set during the First Contact War, or following another Spectre.

WanderingMonster

First Post
If a Mass Effect movie is going to be good, it can't be based on the games, just the universe. Maybe set during the First Contact War, or following another Spectre.

I guess we have to disagree there. I think people would expect and want Shepard's story: the story about saving the galaxy from the Reapers. I know I would. Sure I'd love to see the story of the Mass Effect universe expanded, but I think Shepard, the Reapers, and the crew of the Normandy ARE Mass Effect.

By the way, if anyone who has any say in the movie ever reads this, I'd like to go on record saying that asari lap-dancers are Mass Effect too. [sit forward]

wolff96

First Post
This is going to be a tough one to do well.

So much of the backstory is kind of necessary -- the way the technology was FOUND, not developed is *critical* to understanding how long-term the Reapers think, for instance.

I could see this working quite well with the main storyline, though -- you ignore all the side-quest planets and just focus on the hunt for Sarin. Cut away a lot of the beauracracy around Noveria and it won't have as much impact, but the runaway experiment is cool. I forget the name of the other 'initial' planet, but I think Liara is a necessity to the cast.

Then you have the attack on Ilos (to explain where Saren is getting his troops) and on to the final planet -- before bouncing back to the station for the grand finale space battle. How AWESOME will the fight up the side of the elevator be if filmed well?

My picks for 'necessity' characters --
Garrus (gives contrast with Saren)
Ashley (need an action girl, plus she can be lost on Ilos)
Wrex (bad-ass)
Liara (make her less 'action', more of a scientist and exposition source)

They'll probably shoe-horn in the romance, despite how crowded this movie would already be, so the above list gives them a brief love-triangle as well.

I predict a "Soldier" Shephard. :)

LightPhoenix

First Post
So much of the backstory is kind of necessary -- the way the technology was FOUND, not developed is *critical* to understanding how long-term the Reapers think, for instance.

I completely disagree, for a number of reasons.

1) Rote reiteration of back-story in a movie is, by-and-large, boring. To make it any sort of interesting would require putting significant time into it; time that the plot does not allow.

2) There's a lot of interesting stuff in the ME back-story, but really a lot of it doesn't inform the story too much. For example, the whole story of the Genophage is interesting from an ethical standpoint, but not necessary to understand Wrex's character.

3) For a Mass Effect movie to work, it will need to distill the essence of the game, make one or two points, and be done. Things like the Genophage, the Human-Turian War, the finding of the relay, they're distractions to the core of the story - Saren and the Reapers want to destroy galactic civilization, and Shepherd needs to stop them.

In the end, I think any Mass Effect movie is by far and away better staying away from the games at all. Personally, I think a movie about finding the relay and the First Contact War would be cool. If they want to do the story from the game, I would hope they take the Serenity route and sum up the back-story in five minutes. If the movie is good, the audience will accept that "things are the way they are, just because."

They'll probably shoe-horn in the romance, despite how crowded this movie would already be, so the above list gives them a brief love-triangle as well.

I predict a "Soldier" Shephard. :)
Shoe-horn? The game had 2 possible love interests (or 3, depending on if you count before or after you decide the character's sex ;) ).

In the end, I think any Mass Effect movie is by far and away better staying away from the games at all. Personally, I think a movie about finding the relay and the First Contact War would be cool.
Doesn't sound that interesting to me. I want to see the "real" story. This is kinda like making a movie out of a book, but instead of telling the story of the book, you tell a precursor story. You can do that after you have shown me the story of the book (and did that well.)

Remove ads