Strongheart v. Ironheart Tattoo

They're both the same level and both the same price, Srongheart Tattoo lets you gain extra HP when spending a healing surge, equal to the # of hs you have spent since your last extended rest.

Ironheart Tattoo lets you gain resistance the the next damage dealt to you equal to the # of hs you have spent since your last extended rest.

Why does Strongheart Tattoo seem way better? What am I missing? Are characters with a low amount of healing surges and get hit les better off with Ironheart or something?

Last edited:

Kingreaper

Adventurer
Ironheart, if it does exactly what you describe, is superior IFF you only spend surges in combat (or max one per short rest)

You are almost certain to get hit at some point after spending the surge. With Strongheart you can overheal (and lose some of the hitpoints) while with Ironheart you cannot.

With Ironheart you can prevent damage completely, if it's really low damage, which stops those very very rare effects that trigger only when you take damage from a creature. (this one is pretty damn unlikely, so, yeah)

But given how small those benefits are, if you ever spend two healing surges in a short rest, or without getting hit in between, you're probably better off with Strongheart.

Thanks. I see the subtle difference now, and sometimes it does get tricky spending healing surges to heal, without going over 100%, thus, I can see how overhealing could be a possible issue.

I do like strongheart much better still.

Thanks again.

nogray

Adventurer
My wife's paladin chose Ironheart because she often uses her surges on others through Lay On Hands. In that situation, Strongheart does nada, while Ironheart is still useful.

Of course, the character also uses a Cloak of the Walking Wounded; she is likely to waste a few points either way.

Remove ads