Demonomicon Excerpts

the Jester

Legend
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Cacodemons)

First up is the Cacodemon.

Say. I seem to recall a demon that could ONLY possess corpses. Is that what this thing used to be?

Also interesting tidbit: Clockwork horrors are in this one (and they are demon possessed constructs now).

Huh... not much like the cacodaemon on which it is (loosely) based, but interesting and cool.

Where's the bit about clockwork horrors?? I musta missed that!

Scribble

First Post
Wonder if this also means we'll get demon possessed items? That would be cool!

Jester: It's in the section on possessed items.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I feel like a trained religion skill should also be able to detect the cacodemon in spirit form. But then, I generally feel religion doesn't get enough love compared to arcana.

Pour

First Post
Yeah I would allow trained Religion before I would allow trained Arcana, thinking about it now. Funny, there's another thread going on about underused skills, and I think you're on to something with Arcana bullying Religion and maybe even History.

That aside, I really like the cacodemon. The excerpt also mentions Kostistichie is in the book (and hopefully even more demon lords) and refers to exorcisms and alternate means of handling possession (the idea, as Scribble said, of demon-possessed items or tossing one into an inanimate object or something is raaaaad).

Kind of curious, though, why in the list of previews they opted to keep Incubi demons after having switched Succubi to devils. I bet it has something to do with Graz'zt. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if in this edition Graz'zt is really half-demon half-devil or something. That's how I'm using him in my setting, anyway. He just doesn't quite seem demon lord enough for me, not in a setting where we have suave, handsome and charismatic archdevils. Unfortunately, it suddenly occurs to me that Malcanthet and Shami-Amourae won't be in the book, either.

I don't think its so much that Religion gets the shaft vs Arcana as it is that 4e has concentrated more on demons than on devils. Elemental stuff is in the realm of Arcana, so it covers demons. If you were talking about devils then Religion is buff.

I think in terms of History the assumption is more that skills like Religion and Arcana necessarily deal with a lot of areas of knowledge that might be "Historical" within their own spheres. They wanted History to be HISTORY, not "general knowledge about anything that is older than me". Its sort of a grey area, but remember that in general Arcana/Religion aren't going to help you much with knowing historical stuff that isn't directly related to those fields, which means you can get plenty of mileage out of the History feat.

Kingreaper

Adventurer
I don't think its so much that Religion gets the shaft vs Arcana as it is that 4e has concentrated more on demons than on devils. Elemental stuff is in the realm of Arcana, so it covers demons. If you were talking about devils then Religion is buff.

Arcana gets to detect things a lot more often in the modules etc. I've seen.

In game I tend to give both religion and nature detection abilities (for instance, nature can detect primally empowered items. Arcana can't; they're not arcane)

I also allow history for monster-knowledge checks for anything that is military. (taking a bit off nature)

I mean, it's all well and good knowing that a gnoll has a powerful bite; but if this is a gnoll from the phoenix company, trained in blade mastery by Yirt Okiren, it's probably more useful to know about Yirt's famous exploits, and the history of the Phoenix

Mengu

First Post
Just wanted to say, awesome creature. I'm already thinking up an encounter to use it in. We indeed do need more fun and out of the box creations like this.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Kind of curious, though, why in the list of previews they opted to keep Incubi demons after having switched Succubi to devils.

I realized in thinking about a demon oriented campaing, that there was a "demon gap" with out the succubus. No 4E demon can really work as the "face", the trickster, the infiltrator. You can use cultists or others to fill this role (if it was Orcus related, you could use vampires), but it seems like something some demons should also be able to do. Being chaotic evil should not preclude fooling others.

Remove ads