FFG's Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

mattcolville

Adventurer
I was going to add "3rd Edition" but as far as I can tell, the game is just "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay." Edition isn't mentioned anywhere on the packaging and nowhere in the book that I could find.

It's interesting. We played one session for several hours and didn't finish a combat. The production values are top notch and for that reason alone it deserves attention.

Lots of things never came up. No one went insane, no one suffered from a condition, no one miscast anything. So a substantive percentage of the total bitz in the box never saw use. But, again, only one combat.

It's unfortunate that the funky dice and extensive use of cards for everything make it impossible to try just by downloading a PDF from their website, because I think it would do pretty well if people could try it.

There's three things here. The ideas, the execution, and the presentation.

The ideas seem great. I love the idea of the dice, and what the different facings mean. While I yearn for a system like this with more abstract facings like "politics" and "nature" and "terrain," so I, the GM, am forced to be creative within those random results and explain why Nature caused the thief to fail his lockpick attempt ("a flash of lightning blinded you!"), I found the facings they used worked fine. It wasn't just easy to adjudicate a die roll, it was *fun*.

Something I don't think you can get a sense of without playing: the system is fantastic for pulp action. Cliffhangers. All through the evening the players would succeed (success is typically HIGHLY likely) but with bad side effects. So I got to say "Ok! You successfully leap from the back of the coach to the back of one of the horses! BUT! The horses bolt and pull the coach! Everyone standing on the top of the coach has to make an agility check!" It was always reversal after reversal. Like watching a Saturday Matinée from the 1950s.

The players seemed to get a kick out of that. And my players are very picky when it comes to GM Fiat. Just making stuff up. They like the illusion that the Secondary World is objectively real and I am just describing it to them, rather than inventing it. The minigame of building the dice pool and the choices you make gift the result with enough of an objective feel that when I explain what it means, adjudicating the die roll, the players didn't react like I was just making something up. Well, maybe once I detected some dissatisfaction, but it was one of the first rolls and I don't think we were used to the process yet.

Stances, the Party Sheet, there's just a lot of cool stuff in here. It's well thought-out.

The execution seems middling. The (apparent, haven't studied it closely) overwhelming likelihood of success on any roll seems to undermine the high stakes combat. It's "grim and perilous" except you're probably going to destroy everything without getting seriously hurt. No one suffered a Condition or Miscast or went Insane all night, and no criticals. Again, only one combat. First impression. Too early to judge.

So while I like the idea behind the rules, I think maybe they made it way too easy for the PCs. That should be easily solved, since one of the dice is "Difficulty" and therefore I should just be able to slowly ratchet up the difficulty by adding dice until the players are succeeding only *most* of the time.

The Range and Positioning system struck me as dangerously underthought when I read it, and nothing happened in play to disabuse me of this notion. It's exactly the same as the Range system I designed for Decipher Trek's Starship Combat. I have no reason to think they were aware of this (and wouldn't mind even if they were!) but I bring it up because, having recognized it, I instantly recognized the problems.

The range system is great for simulating combat between two Capital Ships, especially from the point of view of a group of characters in the same room, the Bridge, looking at a viewscreen. Maybe three capital ships.

One of my coworkers said "This would be a nightmare for more than 3 ships," and I said "yeah but I can't think of a solution at the moment and it's Star Trek. Everyting's either 2 or 3 ships, or a huge fleet engagement anyway. It's perfect for Khan v Kirk and that's what people will key off," and indeed I believe I was proved correct.

But man it's a pain for 5 players and three groups of bad guys. At the beginning, when there's this scrum of all the players and one of the bad guys, no problem. But players were continually disengaging and wanted to be *this* far away from *that* guy but only *that* far away from *this* guy, which would have been the work of a moment, no need to even think about it, if it were tactical. But with this abstract system things started to get really messy toward the end of the night.

The solution, I suspect, is; "don't let the players invent their own place to stand." Yes, in a tactical game, you could stand *here* so you're close to this other player but not engaged, you're both at Close Range to the scrum, and you're both at Medium Range from the boss. Yes. But this isn't that game. So we need discreet places (represented by 3X5 cards) and they're fixed on a per-encounter basis. The Coach. The Road. The Forest. The Keep. There. Each has range to the other, and the players decide which card/location to move to. Easy in a Fantasy game, impossible in a space combat game. And appropriate for a game as abstract as this. It would not make *literal* sense ("how come going from the coach to the road always brings me closer to the Boss? He must be standing somewhere. I want to jump off the coach away from him") but I believe it would make narrative sense.

The huge, and to me critical, failing of the game is the presentation. Holy moley is this game hard to figure out.

The first huge oversight we noticed; $100 box, full of bitz, for only 3 players (and 1 GM) and nowhere in all that stuff is there a handful of Character Creation cheatsheets. Character creation isn't that hard, it takes like 5 minutes. But not if you have no idea what you're doing and with no handouts to explain the process and speed it up, it's 5 minutes multiplied by the number of players, since there's only one rulebook to pass around.

This is exacerbated by the way the rules are *written*. It took us about 45 minutes to *guess* what the difference between Career, Advanced, and Basic skills were. In the end, we got pretty close. It was easy for us to build hypotheses about what the designers intended that were entirely consistent with the rules, but contradictory with each other.

No Cheatsheet on how to build a dice pool. That was silly. One sheet with "How to build your dicepool" and "Stress and Fatigue" and "Healing and Recovery" and "reading your action card" would have saved a HUGE amount of trouble.

I mean, you can't *try* the game before you buy it. The funky dice and hundreds of cards (there's a LOT of cards) make that impossible. So it behooves them to make getting into it as easy as possible and here, I feel, they failed.

There's a ridiculous amount of basic stuff that's missing from the rules. Stances, one of the core mechanics that affects every die roll, are explained in several places. None of them tell you how to determine what Stance you're in when you're not in combat. Which seems like it's often, this game seems to think fighting is rare (the adventure bears this out) and dangerous (the dice do not bear this out).

Initiative is a check like any other, but what stance, if any, are you in when you make your Initiative check? No way to find out. What difficulty is an Initiative check? No answer in the rules.

Sometimes it's really maddening. Like the designers are doing it on purpose[/], no hyperbole. One of the core mechanics is Fortune, a resource you spend and which refreshes.

Reading at home, where I read the entire thing like a book, I remembered reading how MUCH fortune you refresh when the time comes. No problem.

At the table, where the book is used as a reference, I could not find it. None of us could find it. There's actually a phrase in the book that reads; "when fortune refreshes, members of the party *may* get *some* of their fortune back," emphasis mine. We know how much, but we won't tell you! Guess and you win a prize! Unacceptable.

If there were an index, maybe I could have found it. There was none. That's ok if you're rules are incredibly well-written. If I can open to the table of contents, find the section on Fortune, and get my answer, I don't need an index.

The monster stats are needlessly compact. Several critical stats are listed only as a parenthetical number after another value. So "Toughness: 4(4)."

That's armor, by the way. That's the listing FOR armor, which is called "soak." Toughness 4(4). Does that clearly communicate "Toughness: 4. Soak: 4" to you?

Sure, once you've looked it up a few times, flipping back to the description of monster stats, you get used to it. But why am I doing that? Why not just WRITE, "Toughness: 4. Soak: 4?" Again, it's like they're doing it on purpose.

That's my initial impression. The FAQ is so short and covers pretty much only the stuff we wondered about it makes me suspect our problems were pretty common. We didn't have the FAQ when we played, because once we reached a point where it was obvious we needed a FAQ, we'd already wasted so much time I just made a call and we moved on.

By the time we stopped, I'd had to make so many calls, looked the same things up over and over, often forgetting whether or not I'd found the answer, because there were so many questions I could now no longer remember which answers we'd learned, my ears were starting to ring and we stopped. We were too mentally fatigued to go on. Not a good way to make a first impression.

This isn't a review, I need to play through several more sessions before I reach any conclusion other than "the rulebook is terribly written." There's a LOT to like in here. But in my experience though, presentation is part of the design.

Last edited:

mattcolville

Adventurer
This is not, by the way, copypasta from somewhere else. I hate when people do that. I wrote that just now for ENWorld.

Though I did just now also post it on Facebook. :D

CapnZapp

Legend
I was going to add "3rd Edition" but as far as I can tell, the game is just "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay." Edition isn't mentioned anywhere on the packaging and nowhere in the book that I could find.
Though feel free to do so anyway, for the benefit of those who still play 2nd edition and have no interest in 3rd.

C_M2008

First Post
Solid review. After a 5 month RPG hiatus I'm reintroducing this to my half-new/half-old group. We only got to finish most of the adventure in the GM book before real-life intervened.

I agree with your assessment, the ideas are clearly brilliant, but the execution could have used a bit more work. The rules are a mess compared to other rulebooks and could use a clean, fluff-light players/character creation guide to get the basics across.

One nag, the example you used would have Soak (damage reduction via armor for those who don't know) 8 instead of 4, the toughness value is added to the soak from the armor. Likewise the damage value is added to the strength score, if you were playing wthout doing it that way it would explain your character's easy time. I Ko'ed 3 of 4 players in one of the battles (one who had total soak value of 9!). Each side hits lots, but the soak values of the melee types makes each hit less punishing, Its quite nitty gritty for the less well armored characters however (who might be facing 11 or 12 damage with total soak of 3-4). Otherwise for difficulty I think adding an additional challenge die for higher rated monsters 4+ skull monsters are 2 dice and so on, might work nicely.

I suspect this is a houserule but we said the default stance to start encounters and for "normal" activity was the space in the centre of the stance meter for the character; if you had a 3 reckless, 1 conservative stance meter the default stance is 1 reckless.

The manuvers/ ranges worked pretty well for us, as PCs are generally clumped up to start a fight and the monsters the same so 1 group inevitably comes to the other minus a straggler or 2 with ranged weapons. I tend to visualise an "engagement" as the area the melee covers; in 4e D&d for example the engagement would consist of at least a 10x10 area(squares); as the battle shifts back and forth as bodies are battered about, steps are made to gain position and desperate dodges are attempted things tend to flow around--hopefully this interpertation makes sense to others. The general battleground basically.

tenkar

Old School Blogger
You both got further then I did. I loved the presentation, I tried to wrap my head around the rules and somehow got lost in the 2e to 3e translation.

But I have these really awesome dice! ;)

I think I'd need to play with those that already know the rules to be able to make the adjustment. Which is a shame, cause it looks damn cool.

Of course, it will never make the the transition to a Virtual Table Top... those funky dice kinda make that kinda hard.

C_M2008

First Post
Of course, it will never make the the transition to a Virtual Table Top... those funky dice kinda make that kinda hard.

How so? there's a set probability of rolling any particular face of any die, you just need the ability to select which dice you're rolling and to have the program randomly generate the appropriate results. Hell it would be probably faster than real rolling since you could auto-tally the results (net 4 boons, 2 success and 1 delay for example.

mattcolville

Adventurer
One nag, the example you used would have Soak (damage reduction via armor for those who don't know) 8 instead of 4, the toughness value is added to the soak from the armor.

Where does it say that? I really hope you're wrong because it means many, many more attacks before the bad guys go down.

He's right.
WFRP Core Rulebook pg. 59 :
"The target's Toughness, the soak value of its armour or equipment, or the effects of special abilities or talents may reduce the damage it takes. These numbers are combined to calculate the target's damage reduction."

An example on pg 61 clarifies that this applies to both monsters and PCs:
"This beastman's Soak Value is 6 (his Toughness 4 + Soak Value of 2 from his monster entry)."

Don't feel bad about misinterpreting that, I got it wrong the first time I played too. The presentation of Soak as a seperate number in brackets doesn't help.

I wish that they had listed the combined Soak value seperately (and I had started doing that in my homebrew monster stat blocks) but that interferes with some abilities and weapon qualities like Pierce, which subtract armor Soak values but not toughness from damage reduction.

I think that last paragraph I wrote sort of calls out another major problem with the game's rules. Terms that should be discretely defined aren't, leaving a lot of room for confusion. Sometimes the combination of Toughness and Armor Soak is called Soak, other times it is called Damage Reduction.

While I was able to understand it intuitively, the description of how movement works is terrible as written and needlessly complex for what it accomplishes. I was trying to write a few quick rules to integrate horses into the combat system (I decided they gave characters a free movement, with the possiblity of making Ride checks as Manouevres to move further) and to make that fit into the system clearly it required 2 paragraphs.

Further adding to confusion, similar terms are also used for things that are quite different. The white dice are called Fortune Dice, which is also used to describe the specific Fortune Dice that you can purchase as advances to add to your characteristics. There are also the action-point like Fortune Points.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
He's right.
WFRP Core Rulebook pg. 59 :
"The target's Toughness, the soak value of its armour or equipment, or the effects of special abilities or talents may reduce the damage it takes. These numbers are combined to calculate the target's damage reduction."

So there are situations where the target's Toughness doesn't reduce the damage roll? That would mean that engineering such a situation would be tremendous advantage.

mattcolville

Adventurer
Well feck. The combat was already long enough with everyone hitting every round and doing damage every round. Adding 4 to all the monsters' soak isn't going to make anyone happy. Is it possible that it's *already* added in for Monsters?

Further adding to confusion, similar terms are also used for things that are quite different. The white dice are called Fortune Dice, which is also used to describe the specific Fortune Dice that you can purchase as advances to add to your characteristics. There are also the action-point like Fortune Points.

And they go out of their way to avoid using the term "points." Much as we (foolishly) did at Decipher and problem for the same reason. You can spent your XP on "advances." And uses those advances to advance your advanced stills in order to qualify for an advanced career advanced advanced.

There was one point where I suggested that maybe when they wrote "an advanced skill" they meant "a basic skill which you have advanced." That caused some disgust among my players as we had to re-read the section we already didn't understand because it seemed all too plausible that's what they meant.

Remove ads