Stand Still vs. ...

Quintus

First Post
With the release of the Monster Manual 2, a sticky question has cropped up in my campaign. If this answer's been posted elsewhere, I do apologize. Just point me in the direction of the thread, and I'll shaddup. ;)

To wit: Stand Still provokes a Fortitude save at DC 10 + damage inflicted to halt a foe attempting to enter the area you threaten or leave it, in cases where an attack of opportunity is available.

However, read this, from the MM2:

"(Undead or construct) is immune to mind-affecting
effects, /sleep/, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects,
necromantic effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save, unless it also affects objects. It is not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain or death from massive damage."

So...does Stand Still work against objects? Charging chariots? Blocks of stone being pushed on one from above? If so, why? If not, why not?

What I'm leading up to is this -- simply, does Stand Still work against constructs and the undead?

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I would figure that Stand Still effects undead and constructs. The fort save rule is there to save them from things like Stinking Cloud, Cloudkill, and Horrid Wilting.

OTOH, the flavor text of Stand Still could suggest the more literal reading if it involves a projection of the user's life force (I'm not really up on the psionics handbook).

I'd say it doesn't affect them. The Stand Still feat doesn't mention objects, but does force a Fortitude save. Disintegrate mentions object, so it will work on undead.

Arnix

First Post
I would say that it affects them, as it is used to stop the movement of creatures provoking AoO. Since most objects don't provoke AoO's, they were most likely ommitted from the description. I believe that they would force a fort save, replacing their charisma modifier for their con modifier (as per other under abilities that are con based). Undead also only makes them immune to MOST fortitude based saves.

Arnix (tm)

"Undead also only makes them immune to MOST fortitude based saves"

Correct. They are immune to effects that force Fortitude saves unless specified otherwise (or if the effect mentions objects).

Spatzimaus

First Post
Undead are immune to Fortitude saves unless objects can also be affected.

Crothian: Psionics Handbook.

Stand Still: psionic Feat, requires WIS 13 and 1 reserve point, causes anyone hit by a movement AoO to take a Fort save, DC 10+damage, failure means they can't move

Simply by the letter of the law, I'd probably have to say no. It's a Fort save, it doesn't specifically say objects, so they're immune.

By the spirit of the law, I'd say yes for undead and constructs. Objects normally don't draw movement AoOs simply due to not being able to move, and I think that's why they're not specifically mentioned in Stand Still. Undead/constructs are still taking movement AoOs, so you should still be able to do this.

It's one of those things that could be ruled either way, though. Considering that one of my characters uses this Feat extensively, I have a vested interest.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
By the hard rules, it won't effect undead or constructs, because it doesn't mention objects.

The spirit of the rules could work in both ways.

If it's physically hindering someone to move, it should work with about everything.

But the power point reserve can indicate that this is some way of doing it psionically (some soft variant of stunning or dazing). In that case, undead and constructs are taken out of the equation.

Ask the DM how he sees it, and whether taking undead and constructs into account makes the feat to powerful. He might think that it works, since he doesn't see why this should overpower it.

Remove ads