deck of cards

Almadus

First Post
okay i was wonder how would you work a percentage dice for a deck of cards?(Aces Two s Threes Fours Fives Sixs Sevens Eights Nines Tens Jacks Queens Kings including the two Jokers)

thanks for all thoose who decide to help

Last edited:

Sylrae

First Post
A Deck of Cards is basically a d13 + 2 Jokers.

each number has a 7.69% attached to it instead of the 5% that a d20 has for each number.

You could have people play 2-cards at a time and add both numbers together, giving you a range of 2 to 20 (drop the face cards). This gives you a much better probability of getting middle numbers though.

You could (once again dropping the face cards) say that black cards are 1-10, and red cards are 11-20 (or vice-versa, whatever). You still only play one card at a time. This gives you the standard 1-20, with the same probabilities.

If you have them draw from the deck whenever they would roll, you can just treat it as dice.

If you let them draw a hand of cards, they have better control over when they play good and when they play bad. They'll likely save their 20s for in combat. You may want to change how criticals work in that scenario, so they can't CHOOSE when to have a critical.

You could assign special meanings to the face cards. Here's a simple suggestion of something possible (though by no means the only or most interesting way to do it - This is for the draw method, not for a hand of cards). If the total after the use of the face card results in your crit range before your ability modifiers and such, it's a critical.
Jack: +1, Draw Again.
Queen: +2, Draw Again
King:+3, Draw Again
Joker: Draw two more cards. Add them together.

Personally, I'd suggest you use two decks if you have more than 2 players.

jefgorbach

First Post
The chance of any particular card would be 1/# of cards so for a standard 52-card deck would be 1/52 x100 = 1.9%

There's four suits with one card of each type, so the chance of getting an Ace, regardless of suit, for example would be 1/52 x4 x100 = 7.6% (alt/n 4/52 x100 = 7.6%)

sjmiller

Explorer
Ok, so you have a deck of cards totaling 54 cards.
Your chance of drawing a specific card is 1:54 or a 1.85% chance.
Your chance of drawing a specific suit is 13:54 or a 24.07% chance
Your chance of drawing a specific value (A, or 3, or whatever) is 4:54 or a 7.41% chance.
Your chance of drawing a joker is 2:54 or a 3.70% chance.

What baffles me is this: why not use a deck of cards instead of trying to recreate a deck? No matter what dice you use your odds will not be close to an actual deck, and it is easy to carry one in your DM kit.

That's just my opinion, but it seems rather odd to want to reinvent something so simple.

parinho7

First Post
i'd just roll a d20, if it's higher than 14 i'd roll again
and then roll a d4 for the shapes (i don't know how they called:eek:)

Sylrae

First Post
OH!

We were talking about a system to simulate cards with dice!?

I thought he wanted to Replace His Dice With Cards!

Particle_Man

Explorer
If you remove the Aces, it becomes much easier. 2% chance of any given card.

Alternatively you could remove Jacks.

Or a really fun option: Have 7 suits of cards from ace to king, and 9 Jokers. Then there is a 1% chance of any given card.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases