The Difference Between Realism vs. Believability

innerdude

Legend
I've been ruminating for some time now on what I see as being a common misconception about FRPGs.

I've heard it said many times, "Talking about 'realism' in a game where there's elves and dwarves and gnomes and magic is stupid, because it's inherently unrealistic."

I disagree with this statement, and here's why:

In any fictional construct--film, novel, play, shared roleplaying experience--there is "realism," and then there's something else called "suspension of disbelief," "suspendable disbelief," "verisimilitude," or "believability."

"Realism," as I'm going to define it for the purposes of this argument, is an approximation, or sliding scale, of how closely the fictional world models the "real world."

In a work of fiction trying for absolute "realism," then every minute detail about what happens in that work of fiction must be constrained by what is solely possible within our own real, lived experience. An absolute "realist" piece of fiction will not even admit the possibility of fantasy/sci-fi/pulp action tropes, because they don't exist in our world.

On the other hand, "suspension of disbelief," "verisimilitude," or "believability," are NOT an approximation of "realism" (meaning it's not about modeling the real world), it's about internal consistency within the fictional construct's own set of constraints.

(For ease of use, I'm going to refer to this idea as "believability," but you can use "verisimilitude" or one of the others at your discretion.

Every fictional world creates a set of rules on which the actions within it are either possible or impossible based on its own set of internal mechanisms. These "rules," or "creative mechanisms," are wholly independent of realism. They can approximate realism, they can completely differ from realism, but they themselves are NOT the same thing as "realism."

Something can be utterly and totally "unrealistic," yet still be "believable," because all of the actions taken within the fictional world hold true to its own internal set of mechanisms. We accept fictional worlds with elves, dwarves, and gnomes, and magic because within the constraints of the fictional world, those things are that world's "realism."

So when someone starts talking about "realism" in an RPG, I think it's very important to ask them, "Are you talking about 'realism' as it relates to the 'real world,' or are you talking about 'realism' as it relates to the construct of the game world?" because these two concepts are completely different.

If the fictional world has chosen to model, or not model some of its own internal constructs after the "real world," the question isn't how "real" it is, but how consistent it is. If the fictional construct deviates from "the real world," there typically needs to be a reason/explanation for the deviation, and it usually needs to be applied consistently. If you want to say that elves are seven-foot, 300 pound giants in your world, that's fine, as long as there's a reason, and as long as it's consistent.

A great example of this being done poorly is Star Wars Episodes I, II, and III. One of the reasons they suck so bad (besides the horrific dialogue and acting) isn't because they lack "realism," it's because they lack believability. The actions, behaviors, motivations, and consequences of the actions of the heroes/protagonists aren't even consistent within their own constructed environment, let alone our "real world."

What I'm saying is that like good fiction novels, films, and plays, RPGs don't need to be realistic, but need to have a level of believability to the way their mechanics interact within the chosen fictional construct.

Having elves and dwarves is inherently "unrealistic"--but it doesn't mean it's not "believable" within a game world like Forgotten Realms or Golarion.

Saying, "Well, in my world all humans have magical abilities that makes it so when they throw a sword, it automatically comes back to them" isn't "realistic" OR "believable" in the Forgotten Realms, because it goes against the Realms' own internal constructions.

Why do comic book heroes often have backstories? Why do we need to see Peter Parker get bit by that spider in the movie? It's not because it's "realistic," but because it makes what Spider-Man is later capable of "believable."

Last edited:

FireLance

Legend
While I don't disagree with what you have written, I think the line between realism and believability gets muddled when you have mechanics which are assumed or implied to model what is possible in the real world, or to be non-magical, e.g. the Martial power source in 4E.

That is where I think the fundamental disconnect comes from. Almost everyone agrees that things which are impossible in the real world can be made possible in a fantasy world through the use of magic. However, not everyone agrees that things which are impossible in the real world can (or should) be made possible in a fantasy world without the use of magic.

Nobody bats an eyelid when a cleric's prayer heals a wound or a bard's singing stops a companion from bleeding to death. That's explicitly magic. However, some people find it unbelievable or unrealistic when a warlord's shouting enables an unconscious ally to get back on his feet and keep fighting because normal people can't reliably do that in the real world.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Realism: It could happen that way in real life.
Believable: It could happen that way in genre media.

Some things can be both, some can be one or the other, and some can be neither. But once you've identified the genre, believable should in my opinion trump realistic.

Now, identifying what's believable and/or realistic, that's a separate problem.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
While I don't disagree with what you have written, I think the line between realism and believability gets muddled when you have mechanics which are assumed or implied to model what is possible in the real world, or to be non-magical, e.g. the Martial power source in 4E.

That is where I think the fundamental disconnect comes from. Almost everyone agrees that things which are impossible in the real world can be made possible in a fantasy world through the use of magic. However, not everyone agrees that things which are impossible in the real world can (or should) be made possible in a fantasy world without the use of magic.

Nobody bats an eyelid when a cleric's prayer heals a wound or a bard's singing stops a companion from bleeding to death. That's explicitly magic. However, some people find it unbelievable or unrealistic when a warlord's shouting enables an unconscious ally to get back on his feet and keep fighting because normal people can't reliably do that in the real world.
I think that this has always been a problem in D&D. It is why I left it in the first place. The simple interpretation of game rules is as a phycis engine and some games are built that way but I think that D&D never was.
At its roots it a wargame simulation. Wargames try to simulate outcomes, that is, if you take France in 1814 you will end up with 3 or 4 battles somewhare on the Brussels road and the Allies will just shade it and then set the VP on historical performance.
This is why armour makes you harder to hit rather than adsorbing damage and other oddities of D&D.
For an interesting take on 4.e I refer you to this post

NoWayJose

First Post
I think that most people get the difference between realism and versimilitude these days. After years of Internet debate, I think people have gotten more conscious of this issue and, after years of semantic nitpicking, also more careful about using the correct terminology.

I also agree that exactly what is believable is still contentious (witness a recent thread that was closed when the debate got too hot for some).

The issue gets more complicated with RPGs where the system informs the believability or unbelievability of the in-game setting. I can play Monopoly and have no desire for believability -- clearly, it's an abstract game. I can play one of those tactical miniature games that have a short background story and character cards with background blurbs and yet still have no desire for immersion and believability -- the fluff is just for flavor, it's still a boardgame. I think that D&D (4E more than 3E) can't quite make up its mind over its priorities -- is it simulationist or is it more of a metagame -- not in the sense that the developers were indecisive, but that their efforts to reconciliate rules and fluff is too sporadic to be consistent. I think Chaosim's Call of Cthulhu has overall great believability sandwiched between the rules and the fluff -- probably my favorite game for "real" role-playing, the fluff is almost always immersive and the game rules feel relatively inconspicuous during play.

Different players have different expectations. Personally, I need a certain amount of believability to enjoy an RPG. If I wanted just tactics and strategizing, I'd prefer to play a boardgame which has no pretentions about being anything other than a tactical/strategy game and I can enjoy it for what it is.

Something can be utterly and totally "unrealistic," yet still be "believable," because all of the actions taken within the fictional world hold true to its own internal set of mechanisms.

I tend to agree.

Using your terminology, realism and believability are essentially analogous to accuracy and precision. Realism (accuracy) is a measurement of how close, on average, things are to the real world. Believability is a measurement of how repeatable things are within the world.

The bullseye is reality. Your world lies wherever you place it on the dartboard.

High realism, low believability
100px-High_accuracy_Low_precision.svg.png

High believability, low realism
100px-High_precision_Low_accuracy.svg.png

(Images hotlinked from Accuracy and precision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
I think Plausibility - Believability - is what enables Suspension of Disbelief, which is important for me in playing/GMing an RPG. I generally find rules-light games better for me for SoD as they leave me more brain processing-power available to come up with explanations for what just occurred.

Example - GMing for my three-year-old last week, free-kriegspiel style:

"OK, the Duergar start towards you. Roll 3+ to hit"

Bill gleefully rolls a 5 on a d6

"Your arrow takes the lead Duergar in the chest. He falls off the bridge into the river, and is swept downstream..."

Whereas a more rules-heavy system tends to more tightly define the narrative, and can make improvisation harder. This can be problematic if I find it hard to justify rules-driven events within the setting, eg the 4e PC who goes from dying to full hp after a short rest, without benefit of magical healing, or from dying to full hp + full healing surges after a night's rest.

Bluenose

Adventurer
Personally, I need a certain amount of believability to enjoy an RPG. If I wanted just tactics and strategizing, I'd prefer to play a boardgame which has no pretentions about being anything other than a tactical/strategy game and I can enjoy it for what it is.

Make that a game which has no pretentions about believability and you're making more sense. There's an awful lot of boardgames which are intensely 'realistic' in approach, as well as tabletop wargames and computer games with the same approach.

lutecius

Explorer
I think that this has always been a problem in D&D. It is why I left it in the first place. The simple interpretation of game rules is as a phycis engine and some games are built that way but I think that D&D never was. [...] This is why armour makes you harder to hit rather than adsorbing damage and other oddities of D&D.
this leads to another misconception I see a lot on EW, that because D&D always had gamist elements, more gamisms don't change the nature of the game. or because you didn't mind the old quirks, you should accept the new ones.
(this also works for sci-fi elements)

but I do wish they had implemented armor as damage reduction in D&D.

Last edited:

Barastrondo

First Post
I think that this has always been a problem in D&D. It is why I left it in the first place. The simple interpretation of game rules is as a phycis engine and some games are built that way but I think that D&D never was.

You need look no further than the concept of "hit points" to find your proof, I'd argue.

Remove ads