Converting monsters from Dragon magazine

Cleon

Legend
I'm late to the party but the requirements for chant magic seem very generous both in time and difficulty, particularly for Epic spells, especially as this is essentially a non-combat ability.

I'm not that bothered about the balance issues. It's intended as a "plot device" more than anything else.

The original adventure features a small group of four priests chanting to perform a ritual to break their boss Ythog-Nthlei out of a magical imprisonment. I was interpreting this as being equivalent to a dispel seed so needed the ability to allow a group of four priests to case that epic spell.

Requiring Epic Spellcasting as a prerequisite would prevent any number of basic priests casting the dispel seed, since only epic level characters can acquire that feat.

I think making it take hours/days would make the chant take way too long. I would considered minutes instead of rounds though.

If I wanted to add additional time constrictions to it I'd be more likely to have something like "Finishing the spell exhausts the ability to use chant magic of all the priests involved. Recovering their ability to use chant magic takes X days it the chant magic was a regular spell or Y weeks if it was an epic spell."

Oh, and as for the example bear in mind that it would require 30 basic priests to produce a Caster Level of 50 needed for a DC 100 epic spell.

If we cut out the CL bonus it'd be practically impossible for a non-epic priest to create an epic effect which rather defeats the point of why I wanted to give them the ability.

Actually, that reminds me of something. I was going to add "The Aid Another action cannot be used to assist this Spellcraft check" but forgot to do so, otherwise all the priests in the group except the caster could stack Aid Another bonuses on the 'caster'. For example, in the aforementioned 30-priest group you'd have 29 priests Aiding for a +58 bonus, which would make the DC too trivial.

Although in any case I'd have no objection to adding a note that epic usage is at the DM's option and they should be careful about what epic spells they can produce or require additional conditions (special items, "cosmic alignments" or the like).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
At least we're agreed on something!

Updating the Priest of Ythog-Nthlei Working Draft.

Hrmm… can't quite make up my mind on which of those I like.

I'm also tempted by those old Evil High Priest standbys of dispel evil and slay living.

I'm going to guess that you meant dispel good rather than dispel evil. :devil: But how about greater command, flame strike, slay living?

Incidentally, I agree with keeping the Chant Magic times the same. I'd be in favor of adding the restriction on Aid Another, too.

Cleon

Legend
I'm going to guess that you meant dispel good rather than dispel evil. :devil:

Don't you know Evil Is It's Own Worst Enemy! :p

But how about greater command, flame strike, slay living?

Anyhow, that selection will do.

Incidentally, I agree with keeping the Chant Magic times the same. I'd be in favor of adding the restriction on Aid Another, too.

I'll add in the Aid Another proviso.

Updating the Priest of Ythog-Nthlei Working Draft.

freyar

OK, looks good. Do we want to add "priest powers" or improve AC as suggested in the red text, or are you ready to move to skills and feats?

Cleon

Legend
OK, looks good. Do we want to add "priest powers" or improve AC as suggested in the red text, or are you ready to move to skills and feats?

I think we'd better improve their Armour Class a tad but I'm not that bothered either way regarding the "priest powers".

Regarding those, I don't recall how much I explained my thinking on this thread but I was toying with the idea of giving them abilities that are expanded versions of a few priest domain special abilities. i.e. the Evil Domain's "You cast evil spells at +1 caster level."; the Knowledge Domain's "Add all Knowledge skills to your list of cleric class skills. You cast divination spells at +1 caster level."; the Magic Domain's "Use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack."

We've already done what I considered to be the most important one - the Madness Domain's insanity ability.

So shall we just increase the Armour Class? To 23, 25, or maybe even higher?

I'd be game giving some combination of an insight bonus, deflection bonus and/or increased natural armour.

freyar

OK, let's just deal with AC. They are kind of glass canons right now. I'd probably go to 25, which fits nicely with an insight bonus = Wis, deflection = Cha, and another +2 NA. How's that sound?

Cleon

Legend
Okay, shall we decide on Spell Resistance next?

The original had 40% Magic Resistance, which according to 1E AD&D rules would match SR 20 since an 11th level caster would have to roll 9+ to beat it.

That seems a reasonable number, although I'd be willing to entertain another figure.

Remove ads