[Spes Magna] Ars Metamagica

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
I spent a few hours this morning editing Ars Metamagica to include feedback from playtesters while waiting for my car to be serviced. Lots of clarifications and improvements to the system have been implemented. I sent the revised PDF back to the playtesters for a second review.

This PDF is going to be a good one, and perhaps a long-overdue tweak to what many feel is a less-than-thrilling aspect of the game.

In short, I've never been pleased with the core metamagic system being based on feats. Feats are precious commodities, and, in the case of metamagic feats, are precious commodities rendered cheap by the inclusion of metamagic rods. I can't think of any other group of feats that can be made obsolete so easily by magic items.

Ars Metamagica presents a system that replaces feats with a metamagic check mechanic that gives casters more flexibility but not without potential costs. Manipulating the metamagic arts can take its toll on the body's health, after all.

If I keep on schedule, I'll have the final PDF ready for sale by the first Sunday in September.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Ars Metamagica is now for sale at DriveThruRPG for $1.50 US.

This 13-page, printer-friendly PDF describes an alternate metamagic system that replaces metamagic feats with a metamagic check mechanic. Spellcasters daily select a palette of metamagic arts with which to modify their spells. Whether a prepared caster or a spontaneous caster, the spell-slinger makes a metamagic check at casting time to successfully reshape the magical energies. Success means greater customization of spells, but failure risks magical feedback. Also included are these:

* Specific recommendations about modifying class features, spells, and other rules impacted by Ars Metamagica.
* Five new feats that let casters dig deeper into the metamagic arts.
* Two new traits for casters with an affinity for the metamagic arts.
* A new type of metamagic rod that works with rather than replaces the metamagic system.

Treebore

First Post
You should link DM's review from the Paizo site, it made me buy it. Well, put it in my cart to buy with next months budget.:D

Remove ads