Unboxing the DM's Kit

Dire Bare

Legend
So is the book included in here have the same exact contents of the DMG?

No, the DM's book in the DM's Kit has sections from the DMG1 and DMG2, but not the entirety of either book. I believe there is also some new info, but not much. Think of it as a "best of" . . . taking the best parts of the current DMG books and rewriting them a bit for new DMs.

Emertinel

First Post
No, the DM's book in the DM's Kit has sections from the DMG1 and DMG2, but not the entirety of either book. I believe there is also some new info, but not much. Think of it as a "best of" . . . taking the best parts of the current DMG books and rewriting them a bit for new DMs.

So... if I bought the DM's Kit, would I still need to buy a copy of the DMG?

Magic items are no longer a bonus for your character. They are as needed as feats or powers or anything else.

Not letting players choose most of them (with you then setting them into the adventure as you desire and throwing in a few curve balls) is ridiculous.

While they may be needed for their plusses, you could easily deal with that via the Inherent Bonuses rule.

The exact powers that items have are _not_ necessary. Those are what are 'bonuses' for the character.

One of my players has said something similar, but I don't agree. You don't need certain magic items in order to make your character concept work, no more than you needed them during 1e, 2e, or 3e.

However, by putting the magic items in the PHB, WotC inadvertently made the players think they were entitled to pick and choose magic items to optimize their characters.

By putting this back into the hands of the DM, a lot of the optimization issues that people have had can go away.

nnms

First Post
No, you wouldn't HAVE to . . . but you might want to . . .

The original DMG is probably the best "how to DM" book there is. It's entirely possible the DM Kit book takes the best of the DMG and combines it with the best of the DMG2 and makes the panultimate D&D DMing book. It's entirely possible a given person will need nothing else, but I'm going to wait for more information.

Marshall

First Post
The exact powers that items have are _not_ necessary. Those are what are 'bonuses' for the character.

On the contrary, there are several items that are necessary to make builds work. What would a Tiefling fighter be without a Flaming weapon?

However, by putting the magic items in the PHB, WotC inadvertently made the players think they were entitled to pick and choose magic items to optimize their characters.

By putting this back into the hands of the DM, a lot of the optimization issues that people have had can go away.

Disagree on both counts, MI's are designed to be a customization point for the players to use. Putting it in the hands of the DM doesnt do anything about optimization, its still there. The only objectionable optimizations are/were theorycraft anyway even tho WotC never let that get in the way of a nerf.

AngryMojo

First Post
Disagree on both counts, MI's are designed to be a customization point for the players to use. Putting it in the hands of the DM doesnt do anything about optimization, its still there. The only objectionable optimizations are/were theorycraft anyway even tho WotC never let that get in the way of a nerf.

That's part of the reason why I love wishlists so much. Handing out treasure is much easier this way, and it makes my prep easier so I can focus on the parts of the game that make it good, like encounters and story.

Sometimes I just give out gold and call it a day, let the PC's equip themselves. I've got enough stuff on my plate.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Putting it in the hands of the DM doesnt do anything about optimization, its still there. The only objectionable optimizations are/were theorycraft anyway even tho WotC never let that get in the way of a nerf.

I agree. This isn't 1979 prior to the advent of the internet. Ain't no putting that genie back in the bottle.

Remove ads