Special Conversion Thread: Tasked Genies

Cleon

Legend
Updated.

How's this for the cave-in/collapse ability?

Collapse Mine (Su): As a standard(?) action, a miner genie can cause a cave-in or collapse by merely touching a cavern wall. This cave-in or collapse has a 20-foot radius, with a 30-foot-radius slide zone. The save and check DCs are Strength-based (DC 19 for a typical miner genie).

I'd rather keep the original restriction to mines the genie has made itself, e.g.:

Collapse Mine (Su): As a standard action, a miner genie can strike the wall of ceiling of any excavation that was constructed or repaired by a miner genie, causing it to cave in or collapse. This cave-in or collapse has a 20-foot radius, with a 30-foot-radius slide zone. The save and check DCs are Strength-based (DC 19 for a typical miner genie).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think it might be easier to reduce the damage or size of the cave-in. Getting this thing up to CR 8 is going to need a substantial HD boost, or it'll be a glass cannon.

Cleon

Legend
I think it might be easier to reduce the damage or size of the cave-in. Getting this thing up to CR 8 is going to need a substantial HD boost, or it'll be a glass cannon.

Well we could have it so it only creates a "slide zone" rather than a "bury zone"?

SRD said:
A weakened ceiling may collapse when subjected to a major impact or concussion. A character can cause a cave-in by destroying half the pillars holding the ceiling up.

Characters in the bury zone of a cave-in take 8d6 points of damage, or half that amount if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. They are subsequently buried. Characters in the slide zone take 3d6 points of damage, or no damage at all if they make a DC 15 Reflex save. Characters in the slide zone who fail their saves are buried.

Characters take 1d6 points of nonlethal damage per minute while buried. If such a character falls unconscious, he must make a DC 15 Constitution check. If it fails, he takes 1d6 points of lethal damage each minute thereafter until freed or dead.

Characters who aren’t buried can dig out their friends. In 1 minute, using only her hands, a character can clear rocks and debris equal to five times her heavy load limit. The amount of loose stone that fills a 5-foot-by-5-foot area weighs one ton (2,000 pounds). Armed with an appropriate tool, such as a pick, crowbar, or shovel, a digger can clear loose stone twice as quickly as by hand. You may allow a buried character to free himself with a DC 25 Strength check.

How's this:

Collapse Mine (Su): As a standard action, a miner genie can strike the wall of ceiling of any excavation that was constructed or repaired by a miner genie, causing a collapse. All creatures within a 20 ft. radius must succeed at a DC 19 Reflex save or be buried and take 3d10? damage, those that save take half damage and are not buried. A buried creature takes 1d6 nonlethal damage per round until it is freed (which requires a DC 19 Strength check by either the buried creature or an ally). Furthermore, any creature within a 30 ft. spread but outside the "bury zone" must succeed at a DC 19 Reflex save or take 1d10? damage. The save and check DCs are Strength-based.

I set the "bury" damage to half the original's 6d10 since it seemed a good match to a lower-CR creature and was partway between the full cave-in's 8d6 and the slide zone's 3d6. (averages 8d6 = 28, 3d10 = 16.5, 3d6 = 10.5).

Also not that the original miner genie's equivalent to the "slide zone" damage was 1d10, around half the average damage of the SRD slide zone.

Of course, we can always have a "greater miner genie" that can cause a full 8d6 (or 6d10) damage cave-in. :devil:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Very busy! I'd love to have a vacation just to catch up here! Of course, it would help if you stopped posting so much. :lol:

The new version looks good. I'd just want to change "bury zone" to slide zone to avoid confusion with the SRD cave-ins. Like this:

Collapse Mine (Su): As a standard action, a miner genie can strike the wall of ceiling of any excavation that was constructed or repaired by a miner genie, causing a collapse. All creatures within a 20 ft. radius must succeed at a DC 19 Reflex save or be buried and take 3d10 damage (similar to the slide zone of a cave in). Those that save take half damage and are not buried. A buried creature takes 1d6 nonlethal damage per round until it is freed (which requires a DC 19 Strength check by either the buried creature or an ally). Furthermore, any creature within a 30 ft. spread but outside the slide zone must succeed at a DC 19 Reflex save or take 1d10 damage. The save and check DCs are Strength-based.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Skills: 8 at 9 ranks
Appraise, Craft (gemcutting), Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Spot?

Feats: Improved Initiative (B), 3 more
Dao have Cleave, Improved Sunder, Power Attack

Remove ads