Heroes of the Fallen Lands analysis

Rex Blunder

First Post
At blogofholding we're reading Heroes of the Fallen Lands cover to cover and posting extensively. We'll be adding posts for the next couple of days.

One of the things I noticed so far is that the Thief is almost totally a Single Ability Dependent class. There are no class features that rely on Strength or Charisma, and only a handful of powers, including the awful Feinting Trick. A Thief probably should point-buy the 18 Dex, and you don't lose much by being a human Thief.

Also: the Essentials horizontal character sheet.

I've seen the vertical one, that came with the Red Box, around but not this one.

Last edited:

cdrcjsn

First Post
That's sorta true about the core 4e Rogue builds as well I think. A lot of the secondary functions of powers that are dependent on a second stat aren't as good as an extra +1 to hit/dmg.

I think it's commonly accepted that Rogues and Wizards are the two classes that can get away with pumping up one stat to 20 at 1st level.

As for the Heroes of the Fallen Lands book, I like the small size, but I'm wary of the flimsiness of the cover. I can't imagine how tattered it'll get after spending a few months in my game bag. I'm tempted to find a book cover for it.

captainspud

First Post
As for the Heroes of the Fallen Lands book, I like the small size, but I'm wary of the flimsiness of the cover. I can't imagine how tattered it'll get after spending a few months in my game bag. I'm tempted to find a book cover for it.
Mine's been in my briefcase for three days, and it's already showing dings in the cover. I am terrified of what it'll look like in a month, let alone a year. :(

ppaladin123

Adventurer
At blogofholding we're reading Heroes of the Fallen Lands cover to cover and posting extensively. We'll be adding posts for the next couple of days.

One of the things I noticed so far is that the Thief is almost totally a Single Ability Dependent class. There are no class features that rely on Strength or Charisma, and only a handful of powers, including the awful Feinting Trick. A Thief probably should point-buy the 18 Dex, and you don't lose much by being a human Thief.

Feinting trick is not awful if you have the feat, "flash of the blade." And unless you use daggers, you should.

Also, we just learned on the character optimization board from WotC_Josh that human thieves can use their extra at-will slot to pick up a regular rogue at-will (http://community.wizards.com/go/thr...tetc._can_take_an_at-will_from_the_base_class.) You might very well want to pick up sly flourish then:

[w]+dex+cha+cha +sneak attack sounds rather nice.

Last edited:

Larrin

Entropic Good
[w]+dex+cha+cha +sneak attack sounds rather nice.
Sadly sly flourish is not a basic attack, so this cannot be :(

And as for being a horrible trick, a thief that doesn't have combat advantage is pretty worthless. There are times when you can't hide, flank, or trick your way into CA, in these cases Feinting trick helps out a little. A first choice? No. But as a 2nd (or third as you progress in levels...) choice its not something I would ignore completely, depending on build.

Last edited:

Remove ads