Armor thrull token on white knight?

Patlin

Explorer
I've been breaking my magic cards out of their decade long hybernation to play with my kids. I'm not sure if the rules have changed much in that time, but I give the time lapse in case it effects the answer.

Does the White Knight's "protection from black" ability prevent it from gaining a token from the Armor Thrull's sacrifice ability? It seems to me it would, even though the token is beneficial, as the token is given to a target creature, and I don't think the black Thrull card can target the White Knight.

The mnemonic device is DEBT:

Damage
Enchant
Block
Target

A creature with protection from X cannot be damaged by, enchanted by, blocked by, or targeted by things with property X. So no, Armor Thrull could not target White Knight with its ability.

By the way, I heartily recommend investing a smidge in the newer cards. The new sets generally are much better-designed than past ones: more balanced, more fun, and with more intuitive rules.

You could pick up the 'Deck Builder's Kit' for about $20, which has some preset cards, some random, and enough variety to give your kids nice options for creating their own decks. I know my local Target has one.

Patlin

Explorer
My son is 6, and I don't think he's quite up to making his own deck yet. I was considering getting two copies of the magic game off of Steam, though. You lose the deck building part of the experience, but at this point I've put 5 or 6 decks together and I'm just letting them pick which one they want to use.

Remove ads