DDI/CB: An actually modest proposal

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This won't deal with all CB issues, nor is it shockingly original, but I am still making it.

When you buy a print WotC D&D product, you receive a promotion code that provides 3-6 months of DDI subscription credit, depending on the cost of the item.

Thats it.

Scribble

First Post
I think it would be a great idea to do that with the starter set at least. Kind of like how every xbox comes with a free month or so of xbox live.

At least they did... I dunno if they still do.

Nichwee

First Post
When you buy a print WotC D&D product, you receive a promotion code that provides 3-6 months of DDI subscription credit, depending on the cost of the item.

It works fine for boxed-sets but any book would then need to come sealed to stop the code being knicked by someone just fliiping through the book at the store - this then raises production costs per book (as you add the packing material and machine costs to shrink wrap or box every book) thus requiring an increase in shelf cost, so the point - getting DDI for free - is defeated as you have just paid extra to allow this to be possible.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I would agree with Nichwee that it wouldn't work for the books if you weren't going to shrinkwrap them or provide the code in some sort of sealed envelope (which would drive up the cost as he said).

Personally, I think the best way to entice people to subscribe to DDI is to just do what they currently do... offer a display option of the tools for free at the most basic level. CB up through level 3... maybe Monster Tools from just a single source (like the Monster Vault) with monsters up to level three (and no editing function)... a test-drive version of the Compendium etc.

Give folks a taste of what they can get and allow them to decide if they want the full functionality.

Mengu

First Post
Interesting proposal. How about a reverse approach, when you subscribe for a year for the first time, you get a free player kit of some sort.

This would let them promote D&D more as a service than a product. I know that's not what the community is used to, but for all intents and purposes, a steady flux of material and updates is more of a service than a product anyway.

Scribble

First Post
What would be interesting is letting stores have cards like xbox does with codes for service time.

Set them at a price that lets stores make a little money off of the deal. Maybe even if you buy x amoutn fo gaming stuff you can get a deal on a year subscription or soemthing.

There are loads of things they could do with DDI. I hope the new "system" they're putting in place lets them run with it.

Who knows though.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
They stick those maps in there, cant figure out a code?

I like the idea of getting the retailer involved...though that might be, well, involved.

Interesting proposal. How about a reverse approach, when you subscribe for a year for the first time, you get a free player kit of some sort.

This would let them promote D&D more as a service than a product. I know that's not what the community is used to, but for all intents and purposes, a steady flux of material and updates is more of a service than a product anyway.

I also thought about this. DDI subscribers could a flat discount, or book coupons, or store credit.

I guess you could have the promo code in some boxed products, and then for subscribers, use the discounts to keep them interested in the books (and still subsribing). That could work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases