Frank Mentzer, Tim Kask, Jim Ward and Chistopher Clarke form Eldritch Enterprises

havard

Adventurer
I hope they do well. It is a rough market.

Me too! With the interest in "Old School" material, and in the history and roots of the hobby in general, there very well could be a market for the people who actually were there forging D&D from the very beginning.

-Havard

PS: Thanks for mentioning my blog, darjr! :)

Treebore

First Post
I found this extremely funny:

"Before even having a name, the company was criticized in the Grognardia blog for possibly not being Old School enough."

I wonder who at Grognardia thinks they are more old school industry professionals than these guys are?

JohnRTroy

Adventurer

"Before even having a name, the company was criticized in the Grognardia blog for possibly not being Old School enough."

I wonder who at Grognardia thinks they are more old school industry professionals than these guys are?

Grognardia is only one guy. And people need to remember that James Maliszewski is writing what amounts to an opinion column, there's a lot of personal bias there, and I would not call him a true historian because of that. I think a lot of readers forget that because he writes a lot and his blog is so popular.

However, I've heard complaints elsewhere. The complaint used is it's a bunch of "old guys getting the band back together", whatever that means. :erm:

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
Between playing with these guys at Cons, or listening to or reading interviews, I would say these "old guys" still have what it takes to make good stuff that I will want to buy.

So I for one am definitely going to ignore any such negativity.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned
I think that everyone who likes D&D (at least old school O/AD&D) wants them to succeed, generally speaking. I would not read too much into a few comments of "criticism" here or there by other old school guys. My brother and I fought a lot as kids, but that didn't mean we didn't want each other to do well. I think it would probably be wrong to think that JM or anybody else isn't ultimately supportive. Just my opinion based on what I've read in forums and blogs, of course.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter

That wasn't the complaint. You can see the Grognardia post here.

In particular, James of Grognardia said: "Any definition of "Old School approach" that encompasses both Savage Worlds and Pathfinder is, I fear, so broad as to be meaningless", which referenced the original statement from Jim Ward when they were talking about the possibility of forming the company.

Jim Ward was also the man behind Fast Forward Entertainment, one of the true crash-and-burn stories of the d20 era, due to astonishingly bad product and little understanding of either the market or the OGL.

Of the four names forming the company, none of them have a good list of old-school design credits at TSR. James Ward has Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World, but little besides. Frank Mentzer is particularly notable for expanding the BX books to BECMI and for producing the "Red Box" Basic set, but I'm not particularly impressed by Needle, Egg of the Phoenix or his completion of the Temple of Elemental Evil. Tim Kask is... ahem... a design nonentity, who is particularly notable for his hatred of Dave Arneson. I'm not familiar with Chris Clark at all. (I'm not much the wiser after trying to research his previous products).

They may well be able to actually produce good product. I hope so.

Cheers!

Remove ads