D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 - The easiest way to make a NPC able to read scrolls

What is the easiest way to make a NPC able to read scrolls, even if:
1) He has no arcane/divine spell list.
2) No Use Magic Device points.

but:
1) 15 points in Spellcraft.
2) Some arcane spell-like abilities (caster Level 12).

Any spell or magic object to make it possible are welcome!
Tnx!

Last edited:

Wyvernhand

First Post
Um, I think its 8 ranks in Knowledge Planes to qualify for the feat: Planar Touchstone (Planar Handbook). The Catalogues of Enlightenment gets you the granted power of any one domain. The Magic domain gives you the ability to use arcane stuff with a caster level equal to half your cleric level, minimum 1. Since you don't have any cleric levels, you'll still be effectively a wizard 1 WRT activating stuff. That gives you access to all spell trigger items (like wands) and the ability to make CL checks to activate scrolls, although you'll probably have a rough time with scrolls higher than ~3rd or 4th level.

Lol... PNG = NPC... it's a long story :)

So... I can't pick any feat or skill point right now
I have just to "equip" him with one or more spell or magic item
A spell could indirectly accomplish to the task, maybe summoning someone able to read my scroll... but I can't choose a specific creature I suppose

Jack Simth

First Post
Lol... PNG = NPC... it's a long story :)

So... I can't pick any feat or skill point right now
I have just to "equip" him with one or more spell or magic item
A spell could indirectly accomplish to the task, maybe summoning someone able to read my scroll... but I can't choose a specific creature I suppose
What about with a Bracelet of Friends?

Ok, there is a guy confined in a very lonely place, in very far plane, with a friendly noble djinn.
The guy can't escape just asking a wish, but he has to solve several "puzzles" by reading arcane and divine scrolls in this place.
There's no way to duplicate those spells, the guy or the djinn have to use the scrolls.

So, initially I asked to the djinn a +15 use magic device ring, but doesn't work because I have no rank in UMD, and even with the ring, I still untrained.
I have unlimited wish.

Any ideas?

Jack Simth

First Post
Ok, there is a guy confined in a very lonely place, in very far plane, with a friendly noble djinn.
The guy can't escape just asking a wish, but he has to solve several "puzzles" by reading arcane and divine scrolls in this place.
There's no way to duplicate those spells, the guy or the djinn have to use the scrolls.

So, initially I asked to the djinn a +15 use magic device ring, but doesn't work because I have no rank in UMD, and even with the ring, I still untrained.
I have unlimited wish.

Any ideas?
How about a full solution?

Under Magic-Psionics Transparency, Psychic Reformation is a 4th level spell. Wish, in the safe clauses, includes "Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower even if it’s of a prohibited school." So you duplicate the 4th level Psychic Reformation, trade some of your skill ranks for UMD, THEN pick the +X UMD item, and use the required scrolls.

Remove ads