Can an arcane initiate take Beguiling Strands?

pauljathome

First Post
I want my character to take the arcane initiate wizard multiclass feat.

And take Beguiling Strands as the encounter power. Its a Mage power and not a Wizard power but I thought that the two were basically freely interchangeable.

The character builder doesn't let me do this, even after this mornings
upgrade.

One of the worst aspects with the whole CB fiasco is that I have no real idea whether something is legal or not. It used to be that almost all of the time I just assumed that the CB was right. But now there are SO many bugs in the edge cases that one just cannot assume that.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I would say that it is legal given the wording. Mages ARE wizards (a wizard build), though wizards are not mages. It says to pick a 1st level wizard at-will attack power, so Beguiling Strands qualifies.

FWIW, the <redacted> offline builder lets me pick it with Arcane Initiate.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Yes, you can do this in the web-builder. In this case, for non-Essentials characters, the CB defaults to options from Non-Essentials sources. Click the "Show Additional Options" box and you'll get the full list of wizard at-will powers, including beguiling strands and the other powers from HotFL.

DracoSuave

First Post
By the rules, it is perfectly legal. Beguiling Strands is a Wizard At-Will Attack power, level 1. That's all the feat cares about. What book it's printed in makes no difference, it is non-specific in that regard.

pauljathome

First Post
Yes, you can do this in the web-builder. In this case, for non-Essentials characters, the CB defaults to options from Non-Essentials sources. Click the "Show Additional Options" box and you'll get the full list of wizard at-will powers, including beguiling strands and the other powers from HotFL.

Ah. Missed that. Thank you very much.

I'm REALLY not liking the new interface. Way, way too many time that one has to tell it (again and again) that one wants to see all options please.

Remove ads