D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 mind blank and true seeing.

Wyvernhand

First Post
Its the ol' Unstoppable Force vs Immovable Object debate. Both have absolute language in them. Both conteract each other. Obviously, you can't rate two absolutes against each other, so its kinda one of those divide by 0 events.

I'm of the camp though, that believes that it shouldn't. If it did, Mind Blank + Superior Invis renders you virtually invincible. As a player, I'd be dismayed if a DM pulled this against me. As a DM, I'd be hard-pressed to challenge the PCs if they used this trick. Its just really hard to handle.

If you want to get really dicey, you could always simply resolve it with a nice opposed CL check and may the best Archmage win. Kinda screws the folks who don't have their own magic and rely on magic items like the Scout's Headband for their limited access to True Sight.

Crust

First Post
The RAW is clear on this. See invisibility has a range of "personal" and a target of "you," in other words, the caster. See invisibility's target is always the caster, never a subject beyond the caster (with or without mind blank or nondetection cast). See invisibility cannot be cast at anything other than the caster, and once the buff is cast, the caster's eyesight does not function as an emanation or gaze that may affect other targets. See invisibility affects the caster only, and it is not blocked by mind blank.

True strike works the same way. It's range is "personal" and its target is "you." True strike's target is only the caster, never anything else. True strike is not thwarted by nondetection or mind blank.

True seeing has a range of "touch" and a target of "creature touched," and once cast, true seeing does not transform the target's eyesight into an emanation or gaze that affects other targets. The true seeing granted to the subject extends out to 120', but that is not the range of the spell's effect. True seeing cannot be cast at anything other than the target of the buff, and therefore true seeing is also not blocked by mind blank.

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Does mind blank foil true seeing?
As Dandu said: Often debated, no clear answer.

From a balance perspective, I'm inclined to not let Mind Blank work against True Seeing / See Invisibility / Arcane Sight / and so on, but to let Nondetection work against them.

If Mind Blank trumps True Seeing, you end up with an 'ultimate defense' that lets someone be fully undetectable (or near enough for most critters) while still attacking.

If Nondetection trumps True Seeing, it's a caster level check to succeed for the person watching, vs. a DC based on the sneak's caster level - which puts it back to a game of dice.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
No. If you interpret "information gathering" that broadly, mind blank would simply foil all divination spells.
Agreed.

I interpret "information gathering" to imply "non-tactical".

Similarly, IMHO true strike works both ways (cast by someone under mind blank and cast to attack someone under mind blank).

Cheers, -- N

frankthedm

First Post
Originally Posted by Vegepygmy No. If you interpret "information gathering" that broadly, mind blank would simply foil all divination spells.
How is that interpreting broadly? That is exactly what the spell says.

This spell protects against all mind-affecting spells and effects as well as information gathering by divination spells or effects

Death Ward Rapes Necromancy, True Sight rapes Illusion, Mind Blank rapes Enchantment and Divintation.

Mind Blank/Nondetection vs. see invisibility/True Seeing
Invisibility and Mind Blank vs True Seeing or See Invisibility
DM Question: Mind Blank
Mind Blank question
Overcoming True Seeing

Last edited:

jefgorbach

First Post
No, simply because Mind Blank protects the user's EMOTIONS/THOUGHTS from outside detection whereas True Seeing "confer on the subject the ability to SEE all things as they actually are".

Thus True Seeing would reveal the "evil human" seeking to kill whomever is physically a dwarf - however would not reveal that (whatever) is currently mentally controlled/possessed by a drow wizard hoping to start a human/dwarven war to soften the local resistance for his own army's future invasion.

Remove ads