Were you all aware WotC has print on demand books available at lulu?

To make a point about D&D PoD (print on demand) in another thread, I looked up dungeons and dragons on Lulu. I expected to find 3pps...but I was surprised to find official WotC books!

It seems like most of the 4e books are available, and at a discount.

Search by author name or title as well as "dungeons and dragons" and you'll see what I mean.

This may be old news, or might be brand new...but it was news to me.

Here are some searches (you have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser due to page format)

Mike Mearls

Bill Slavicsek
http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fSearchData[author]=Bill+Slavicsek&fSearchData[lang_code]=all&fSort=salesRankEver_asc&showingSubPanels=advancedSearchPanel_title_creator

Robert J. Schwalb
http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fSearchData[author]=Robert+J.+Schwalb&fSearchData[lang_code]=all&fSort=salesRankEver_asc&showingSubPanels=advancedSearchPanel_title_creator

Wizards RPG Team
http://www.lulu.com/browse/search.php?fSearchData[author]=Robert+J.+Schwalb&fSearchData[lang_code]=all&fSort=salesRankEver_asc&showingSubPanels=advancedSearchPanel_title_creator

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
I think they're just acting as resellers and not POD.

"This content is made available through a partnership with Ingram Book Company in full compliance with copyright law."

Nagol

Unimportant
Comparing the pricing between amazon and lulu, the lulu offering is less than a dollar more. It's highly unlikely that a POD offering could match the price point of a mass order offering.

One thing I thought was unusual is the pricing on 2nd-party new copies of the PHB

Amazon.com blurb said:
Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook [Hardcover]
Rob Heinsoo
Rob Heinsoo (Author)
› Visit Amazon's Rob Heinsoo Page
Find all the books, read about the author, and more.
See search results for this author

<snip>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $34.95
Price: $23.07 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $11.88 (34%)
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Tuesday, January 18? Order it in the next 5 hours and 16 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details

64 new from $11.12 41 used from $11.99

Is it typical that 2nd parties offer a new copy of the book at more than a 50% discount compared to Amazon's retail price? I don't even dabble in the secondary markets, but wouldn't pricing like that suggest remaindering?

Last edited:

Ourph

First Post
Is it typical that 2nd parties offer a new copy of the book at more than a 50% discount compared to Amazon's retail price? I don't even dabble in the secondary markets, but wouldn't pricing like that suggest remaindering?
It's not that unusual. A lot of independent bookstores and game shops sell their overstock or clearance items through Amazon. The PHB is out-of-date at this point (and it meant to be replaced in the retail stream by the Essentials products and many of the rules have long-since been subject to errata) so I imagine a lot of places are willing to sell at cost to recoup what they can.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I find Lulu highly confusing about what is print on demand, and what is simple reselling the regular books. Considering that some of the things they are offering are miniature and the like, I think those are not print on demand.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Comparing the pricing between amazon and lulu, the lulu offering is less than a dollar more. It's highly unlikely that a POD offering could match the price point of a mass order offering.

One thing I thought was unusual is the pricing on 2nd-party new copies of the PHB

It may also be that the seller(s) split the PHB1/PHB2 bundle (that also sold for a total of $34.95) and is just selling them individually. They'd still be making a profit that way.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I think they're just acting as resellers and not POD.

"This content is made available through a partnership with Ingram Book Company in full compliance with copyright law."

You may be right Nagol, and if so this would be pretty unexciting news.

Anyone know for sure either way?

I'm sure. Ingram does the same for Paizo Pathfinder and Mongoose books. I've talked to both companies in the past about this when I discovered it. Ingram is just the regular book retail arm of Lulu.

Remove ads