Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
Sure, go for it.

So like this?

Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to viciously attack at the least provocation. They usually open combat by shooting crossbow bolts, and switch to claws and bite in close combat. Snappers often throw nets at fast-moving opponents to try to remove their speed advantage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
So like this?

Snappers are ill-tempered and territorial, apt to viciously attack at the least provocation. They usually open combat by shooting crossbow bolts, and switch to claws and bite in close combat. Snappers often throw nets at fast-moving opponents to try to remove their speed advantage.

Looks good!

Cleon

Legend
Anything about their relation to standard tortles?

Well I'm not entirely clear what there relationship to tortles is. It just says they're a "primitive marine relative" of tortles.

The AC9 Creature Catalog (1986) mentions they lay their eggs in beachfront labyrinths, which we should certainly include in the background text:

Creature Catalogue said:
When the time comes for them to mate, snappers may travel hundreds of miles to congregate at special egg-laying grounds. These grounds often take the form of rock-walled, roofless labyrinths just above the high-tide line. The snappers defend these places fiercely, attacking all who venture near them.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Well I'm not entirely clear what there relationship to tortles is. It just says they're a "primitive marine relative" of tortles.

I'd imagine they'd have encountered one another by now. I suppose divergent evolution and the general bad temperament of the snappers would set them at odds with their landbound kin.

The AC9 Creature Catalog (1986) mentions they lay their eggs in beachfront labyrinths, which we should certainly include in the background text:

Agreed.

Cleon

Legend
I'd imagine they'd have encountered one another by now. I suppose divergent evolution and the general bad temperament of the snappers would set them at odds with their landbound kin.

Since they both inhabit the Savage Coast in Mystara they can hardly not be aware of each other. Since Snappers prefer the ocean and Tortles prefer forests and beaches they presumably mainly encounter one another along the shoreline.

Hmm, maybe it would help if I posted some background info of the previous versions of the Snapper:

X9 - The Savage Coast (1985).
It is common for these massive 1,000-pound carnivores to swim hundreds of miles between feeding and egg-laying grounds.

AC9 - Creature Catalogue (1986).
Snappers are bad-tempered and will attack other ocean creatures at the least provocation, using their claws and beak. If drawn into a combat on land, however, they attempt to avoid melee, preferring to attack their foes with arrows fired from their longbows.

Snappers do not form closely knit tribes, have no recognised leaders, and do not build permanent settlements. Instead, they prefer to roam across the oceans, travelling in small groups from one hunting ground to another.

When the time comes for them to mate, snappers may travel hundreds of miles to congregate at special egg-laying grounds. These grounds often take the form of rock-walled, roofless labyrinths just above the high-tide line. The snappers defend these places fiercely, attacking all who venture near them.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, all of that would work:

Leaders ride nik'too.
Travel long distances to defensible egg-laying grounds to breed.
Have poor relationships with land-dwelling cousins, the tortles, when they happen to meet along the shore.

But it's probably best if someone else writes it, since my text is usually pretty poor.

Cleon

Legend
Well, all of that would work:

Leaders ride nik'too.
Travel long distances to defensible egg-laying grounds to breed.
Have poor relationships with land-dwelling cousins, the tortles, when they happen to meet along the shore.

But it's probably best if someone else writes it, since my text is usually pretty poor.

That sounds suspiciously like "leave it to Cleon to do the work"! ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases