Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Mortis

First Post
Let's stick to Imp Grab then.
Right you are, one or two claws to trigger?
AD&D version required two.
SCMC said:
To use its special drowning attack, the gurrash must successfully attack with both front claws.

freyar said:
What do these need at this point?
Swim speed: 30 ft. like I suggested? It would normally convert to a higher speed but I can't see them swimming faster than a croc whose swim speed is 30 ft.
Attacks: Stick with spear like shazak or give it a different weapon?
Skills: 2 ranks each in Intimidate, Survival, and Swim?
Feats: Multiattack and Weapon Focus [weapon] seeing as they're often used as mercenaries?
Organisation: Same as shazak but without mobats?
Challenge Rating: 3 Given the special attacks that the shazak lack?
Treasure: Standard?
Level Adjustment: +3? (swim speed, special attacks, +6 Str)

Description, tactics, etc.

As characters section
Domains: need to check Demogorgon for these.
Abilities: +6 Str, +4 Con, -4 Int
A gurrash's base land speed is 40 feet, (plus swim speed)
Favored Class: Barbarian or Fighter?

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
2 claws for Imp Grab is fine with me.

30 ft swim is ok.
Maybe another weapon would be more interesting. Scimitar? Glaive?
Skills and feats sound fine.
Same for org, treasure.
They seem a little squishy for CR 3. But we don't have rage spelled out yet, which might make a difference. Are we making it barbarian rage and stack wtih barbarian levels?

Mortis

First Post
Maybe another weapon would be more interesting. Scimitar? Glaive?
Hmm... I like the idea of some sort of polearm.

They seem a little squishy for CR 3.
I see what you mean but they're better than the CR 2 shazak. Question is are they a +1 CR better?

Are we making it barbarian rage and stack wtih barbarian levels?
I believe that we were going for barbarian rage. If so it would make sense for it to stack.

Regards
Mortis

Cleon

Legend
Hmm... I like the idea of some sort of polearm.

How about a trident. It goes with them spending a lot of time in water, and it acts as a coded reference to the CE Lizard Kings. If demogorgon's their patron, they might have Lizkings leading them.

I see what you mean but they're better than the CR 2 shazak. Question is are they a +1 CR better?

Not sure, I think we'd best finalize the rest of their stats before deciding.

If we add a tail-slap secondary attack (maybe with 1.5 Str?) as is mentioned in the original, that'd certainly help justify a higher CR.

I believe that we were going for barbarian rage. If so it would make sense for it to stack.

Yes to Stackable Rage.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
They look pretty good. The damage output is probably ok for CR 3, but I don't think the hp or AC are. I have to stick with CR 2.

Cleon

Legend
They look pretty good. The damage output is probably ok for CR 3, but I don't think the hp or AC are. I have to stick with CR 2.

The SRD Lizardfolk has a heavy wooden shield, we should add one for +2 AC (it'll explain why it doesn't use an off-hand claw with its trident or wield the trident two-handed).

If that AC still seems too low we could consider giving them leather armour as well.

As for the HP, I am reluctant to increase the Con any more than we already have, it's already got a Con bonus 1 higher than a regular lizardfolk.

Overall, I'd rather throw in a shield and make them a tough CR 2.

Finally I still say their speed is wrong - the original had "12, Sw 18", so the 3E version should be "30 ft. (6 squares), swim 40 ft.".

Mortis

First Post
The SRD Lizardfolk has a heavy wooden shield, we should add one for +2 AC (it'll explain why it doesn't use an off-hand claw with its trident or wield the trident two-handed).

If that AC still seems too low we could consider giving them leather armour as well.
I'm happy with both of those.

As for the HP, I am reluctant to increase the Con any more than we already have, it's already got a Con bonus 1 higher than a regular lizardfolk.
How about the Toughness feat, preferably as a bonus feat, otherwise replace Weapon Focus.

Finally I still say their speed is wrong - the original had "12, Sw 18", so the 3E version should be "30 ft. (6 squares), swim 40 ft.".
I still prefer them the other way around for previously stated reasons. I guess we''ll have to leave it to the other to decide.

BTW what was a 2E crocodile's swim speed?

Regards
Mortis

Mortis

First Post
Nearly forgot...

Taken from Demogorgon's Demonomicon of Iggwilv entry.

SRD Domains: Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Water.

Fiendish Codex I: replace Destruction and Water with Corruption and Demonic.

I'd have liked Scalykind as well...

Regards
Mortis

Remove ads