Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Cleon

Legend
EDIT: stupid double post. Server seems to have some troubles tonight.

So what's new. :p

I don't think we should discuss the tabernacle of the ram yet, because the spell's not quite finished.

We haven't added the range information yet.

We need to know (a) how far away can a congregation member be and still transmit their spells to the tabernacle, and (b) how close must a spellcaster be to the tabernacle to concentrate on the summon coven and/or draw empowerment points from it.

I think the tabernacle of the ram should greatly increase the "gathering power" range and allow it to happen without line-of-sight, since it permits every goatling in their kingdom to participate in a summon coven.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
OK, well, the original spell is 1 mile/caster level (of the leader, I guess) for "gathering power," but that seems to assume the tabernacle of the ram is involved. So maybe something like long range for gathering power and close range for drawing power?

Cleon

Legend
OK, well, the original spell is 1 mile/caster level (of the leader, I guess) for "gathering power," but that seems to assume the tabernacle of the ram is involved. So maybe something like long range for gathering power and close range for drawing power?

I was thinking long range for gathering power, but would prefer a flat figure for the spellcasters' distance - maybe thirty feet?

freyar

That works for me. And I think I'd go with 1 mile/level for the Tabernacle of the Ram (as in the original spell), and the caster only needs to be present and concentrating to change how the power is drawn off. So, if they are powering Occultation, they can just get it started and then leave.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me.

How's this for the revision?

The summon coven spell is a powerful magic that allows a group of goatlings to amass a pool of empowerment points and then use those points to empower additional spellcasting. This spell requires at least 3 goatling spellcasters, who all cast summon coven simultaneously, plus a congregation of at least 4 other goatlings of 15th level or higher. The spellcasters who cast summon coven must nominate one of their number as the "head" of the coven, they must all agree who this head is or the spell fails. The spell also requires a focus component called a tabernacle, a ritual chest that holds the empowerment point pool created by the spell. The spellcasters must be within 30 feet of the tabernacle to cast summon coven or to concentrate on maintaining the spell (see below).

Gathering Power: This spell creates a pool of empowerment points equal to the total HD of all participating goatlings who are willing to sacrifice their Goat Magic spell-like abilities for the day while the spell is being cast. A goatling must be within long range of the tabernacle to transmit power to it (400 ft. plus 40 ft. per caster level of the summon coven).

And I think I'd go with 1 mile/level for the Tabernacle of the Ram (as in the original spell), and the caster only needs to be present and concentrating to change how the power is drawn off. So, if they are powering Occultation, they can just get it started and then leave.

The mile per CL range is fine, but I was thinking of something a bit more elaborate for the drawing from the Tabernacle artifact (a shocking twist, I'm sure!).

freyar

That looks fine for the spell, although maybe we need to note specifically that only the "head" has to concentrate to maintain the spell.

See, I'd like the Tabernacle of the Ram to be powerful enough to "concentrate for itself." If it takes something elaborate to set that up, it's ok, but I think it should run things automatically.

Cleon

Legend
That looks fine for the spell, although maybe we need to note specifically that only the "head" has to concentrate to maintain the spell.

See, I'd like the Tabernacle of the Ram to be powerful enough to "concentrate for itself." If it takes something elaborate to set that up, it's ok, but I think it should run things automatically.

As written, only one of the spellcasters need to be concentrating at any given time, so even the head can take a break.

I was assuming that as part of the tabernacle of the ram's ability to store power over the long term it wouldn't need a summon coven spellcaster's concentration to maintain its empowerment pool.

freyar

Oh, true enough, I forgot that. This thing has a number of moving parts to it. Is the non-artifact part done?

We're agreed on the artifact, then! What did you mean by something more elaborate?

Remove ads