How far are they going with Essentials

Incenjucar

Legend
Are you certain? One of the blogs I follow has a battlemind PC - from the blog's week 1 Encounters report:

I confess that I don't know the character creation rules for this season, and I know DMs have a lot of leeway in what happens in their Encounters game. However, I've beeing following the DM from the blog for a while and he appears to be an avid Encounters player who know his stuff. I could find no indication from his blog that character creation was limited to Essentials. Is there a place where the rules of character creation are listed for this season?

Having said all that, I have a definite preference for Essentials material. I don't think anyone is stupid or smart for wanting to play one class or the other - people just have preferences for a certain kind of gameplay or theme.

I'm quite sure. I've been co-DMing this season and the rules are very clear:

Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (Warm Up Your Winter with D&D!)

"We’re keeping it straightforward again this season by spotlighting the D&D Essentials line for character creation. You can create a character using Heroes of the Fallen Lands, Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms, and any Dragon magazine article content that has the icons of those two books on the article’s title page. In addition, the DDI Character Builder has all the details already pre-loaded into a campaign setting for "March of the Phantom Brigade" (available approximately one week before the season begins).

If you want to just jump right in and play, you can pick up one of the pre-generated characters to start while you’re trying to decide what to make for the next week! "

Many DMs ignore it because they don't want to lose the many players who find the restriction obnoxious.

I'm perfectly fine with Essentials style classes, they're options that some players like and that's great. I think the key point here has been missed though. It isn't about continued additional options supporting 'classic' 4e classes. It is about FORWARD compatibility with content that is to be released in the future.

For example: When Heroes of Shadow is released will I have the option to play an Artful Dodger Rogue and use options from HoS? If not then I'm left with 2 equally unpalatable (to me) choices. Either HoS is useless/less useful to me or I'm forced to play a class that I don't want to play in order to get the other options that I want. Effectively any material going forward that requires Essentialized classes is basically a different and incompatible game from what I already own. I can't use the material the way I want.

Yes, I know, people will jump in and say that "isn't any different from not being able to use some option for a Wizard that appears in Arcane Power with a rogue." But that is ignoring the obvious fact that the Essentials Thief is occupying EXACTLY the same conceptual space as my rogue. Wizard options are a whole different thing and their existence doesn't imply that I won't get to use relevant features of the game that will be released in the future. Content that is Thief-only on the other hand is doing exactly that, taking up the space that would have gone to support the rogue and balkanizing the game in a way that stops us from using that content with what we have now.

Now, I don't know that HoS does or doesn't have provisions for the Rogue AND the Thief (or just all rogues in general) to use whatever is in there for that type of character. I do know I won't be picking up a copy until I find out because I'm just not interested in only being able to use it with Essentials classes. Actually the delay in releasing the book and its transition to hardcover kind of makes me think they may have decided to revise it in the direction of supporting classic 4e classes, but who knows? It will be interesting to see.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I do know I won't be picking up a copy until I find out because I'm just not interested in only being able to use it with Essentials classes.

You say this as though you expect to get chastised for it. :D Waiting to see what a book has in it before actually buying it is the most rational thing to do, and I'd question why anyone would do it differently (unless they just are a completist and want a book regardless of what's actually in it).

Artful Dodger rogues use feats. They use powers. There's nothing in your way.

I'm sure I don't understand what you mean. We don't know how HoS options are structured, except for one small sample we saw a while back before the book was delayed. As written the N*mancer options we saw and the Blackguard were based on Essentials builds, not compatible with pre-Essentials classes. I'm not saying that is still true or that other material doesn't exist for that compatibility. We shall see. In the case of Mage vs Wizard it is not really a big deal IMHO, but with the Martial classes or Cleric vs Warpriest it is more significant. I'm hoping.

Jhaelen

First Post
But you see how this is a problem when people want to play at different levels of complexity, yes? I am one of those players who rarely picked up wizards in previous editions because I do not like that level of complexity. Then 4e comes along and everyone is a Vancian wizard, and I am turned off by ALL the classes, because they are ALL too complex for me.

And then we have Essentials, and suddenly I have a lot more variety in complexity, and I love it.
Okay, I could see that, however: Wouldn't it have been a lot nicer then, if _all_ Essentials classes had the same, reduced complexity of a Slayer?

Then you could play every class the game has to offer instead of just a few!

I guess, I would have liked Essentials better if it wasn't the same game as 4e. Imho, Essentials should have been what BECMI D&D was to AD&D. A separate line for those who didn't care about the complexity of 'classic' 4e.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Jhaelen said:
Okay, I could see that, however: Wouldn't it have been a lot nicer then, if _all_ Essentials classes had the same, reduced complexity of a Slayer?

Then you could play every class the game has to offer instead of just a few!

I guess, I would have liked Essentials better if it wasn't the same game as 4e. Imho, Essentials should have been what BECMI D&D was to AD&D. A separate line for those who didn't care about the complexity of 'classic' 4e.

I think they all are reduced complexity, just to different degrees. The Slayer might be the poster child for "as simple a class as 4e can probably do," but it STILL has fiddly bits and unexpected synergies. The mage is a little closer to the default 4e classes, but it STILL revolves around a single thematic choice (school, in this case) that presents clear and unambiguous options to choose from when gaining new ones. Anyone who wants complexity would be better served, in all cases, choosing a 4.0 build. No Mage is going to be as complex as a core PHB fighter is.

But, to your broader point, I don't grok why 4e having different levels of complexity is a bad thing. If you like complexity, no one is forcing you to pick an Essentials class, and you still have a galaxy of options for the majority of your 4.0 classes (PHB3 classes perhaps aside), options that are still being expanded, even if it is at a slower rate than before. Fighters especially are an embarrassment of riches when it comes to options and features (and, in large part, the Essentials Slayer and Knight benefit from these riches, too).

If you DON'T like complexity, I don't see why shoving you into some not-true-D&D ghetto is the best solution. There shouldn't be any reason a complexity-loving gearhead and a beer-n-pretzels mage player shouldn't be able to sit at the same table, have fun, and contribute equally. D&D is not an activity purely for the dorky elite who get all excited over the fact that the rules for OAs have over 1,000 points of interaction with other rules that you can memorize and debate over. It is also for the lady who likes to hang out with her buddies and pretend to be Dwarfbeard the Slayer for a few hours, who wouldn't know an OA if one of her dorky buddies didn't keep pointing them out.

As someone closer to Dwarfbeard in my playstyle, I don't want to rule out Dorky McRulesman from my games. I also don't want to be ruled out of HIS. What is so awful about playing together?

AbdulAlhazred said:
I'm sure I don't understand what you mean. We don't know how HoS options are structured, except for one small sample we saw a while back before the book was delayed. As written the N*mancer options we saw and the Blackguard were based on Essentials builds, not compatible with pre-Essentials classes. I'm not saying that is still true or that other material doesn't exist for that compatibility. We shall see. In the case of Mage vs Wizard it is not really a big deal IMHO, but with the Martial classes or Cleric vs Warpriest it is more significant. I'm hoping.

You realize that Essentials builds are compatible with pre-essnentials classes? That they can play alongside each other? That E-classes can make use of non-E powers and feats, and that non-E classes can make use of E powers and feats? That the Blackguard can swap out certain Paladin powers, and that the Paladin can swap out certain Blackguard powers? That they can both take the (usually quite solid) Essentials feats?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that HoS is going to contain feats and powers.

There should be no reason your current characters shouldn't be able to make use of at least some of them.

Jhaelen

First Post
If you like complexity, no one is forcing you to pick an Essentials class, and you still have a galaxy of options for the majority of your 4.0 classes (PHB3 classes perhaps aside), options that are still being expanded, even if it is at a slower rate than before.
Yup. No one is going to take the 'classic' 4e builds away from me;
just like no one is going to burn my vast library of 3e books.
And since I'm not interested in the 'low complexity' builds that Essentials has to offer, I'm just ignoring the Essentials products that include them.

But: All new products will include material that is supportive of Essentials builds. Sure, _some_ of the material will also be useful for 'classic' builds, but the trend is already apparent in DDI content.

I will never see a new official ritual because in Essentials there aren't any!

Instead of the sudden death of 4e that would have been caused by releasing a new edition we get a slow, but no less lethal poisoning of the game by the insidious process of 'Essentialization'.

It's not a big problem, though. We have only just started playing 4e, really. It's going to take us plenty of time to use just a tiny fraction of the material that has already been released for classic 4e. Chances are, 5e will come out before we get bored with the options already available.

And my money will simply go somewhere else, like board games or new rpg systems from other publishers.

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I really like what they have done in the two essentials character class books - the 'mage' made possible a translation of my favourite 3e arcane caster in a way which just wasn't possible in standard 4e wizards (or other 4e arcane casters). The Scout makes a much better model for my old Ranger character. I love the use of basic attacks with 'stances' for the fighter classes - mechanically pretty simple and easy to visualise.

If I run 4e again it will be an 'essentials only' game; if I play in a 4e game I'd hope that I can use an 'essentials' class to do so.

From my perspective it would be great to see one or two additional classes come through in Essentials format in a single book - say a monk, an assassin, a couple more runepriest domains, a couple more mage schools, that sort of thing :)

edit: and warlord! I want a martial leader back :)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases