D&D 2E [2e] Monster Mythology Update Project

AuldDragon

Explorer
I doubt there's much here you don't already know about, but for possible additional resources, please check out the Gods List (hint: if you run a search with a blank search bar, it'll show you the entire list of results).

EDIT: I forgot to add that I think this project is awesome, and so are you for doing it!

Thanks! I have not seen that specific list, but I have seen other similar lists. I'll look over it.

Jeff

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'm actually looking for more solid info on Nomog-Geaya of the Hobgoblins, if you could point me to your sources that would be much appreciated.

AuldDragon

Explorer
I'm actually looking for more solid info on Nomog-Geaya of the Hobgoblins, if you could point me to your sources that would be much appreciated.

Dragon Magazine #63, Monster Mythology, and On Hallowed Ground are the primary sources. I don't believe I have come across any real information about him anywhere else, at least in AD&D sources. I don not have access to 3e sources or later, and I have a very low opinion of them anyway. There really aren't even many secondary sources that describe hobgoblin culture (other than the Monstrous Compendium), which could be adopted to his worship.

Jeff

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Dragon Magazine #63, Monster Mythology, and On Hallowed Ground are the primary sources. I don't believe I have come across any real information about him anywhere else, at least in AD&D sources. I don not have access to 3e sources or later, and I have a very low opinion of them anyway. There really aren't even many secondary sources that describe hobgoblin culture (other than the Monstrous Compendium), which could be adopted to his worship.

Jeff
Thank you.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
AuldDragon, I noticed that several of your blog posts on this topic say you take requests for which deities to do next. Is that still the case? If so, I'd like to nominate Ferrix, and then Mellifleur, for updates.

AuldDragon

Explorer
Any chance we will see something for the Spelljammer races? I think the spheres need some love...

I've been slipping in some plot hooks for Spelljammer where I can with the Goblinoid pantheon, such as hidden temples or mercenary/pirate forces. :) You'll also notice a few deities from Spelljammer sources in the list, such as Rais and Klikral. Once I get to the Beholder and Illithid pantheons, there will be plenty of Spelljammer references. I'm also pondering working on the Neogi pantheon, of which only names and portfolios are known. There was, sadly, very little written about the religions of a LOT of the Spelljammer races (to the point that the majority seem to have NO religion), so I'd have to make the vast majority of them out of whole cloth. I've long wanted to do something unique for the Gravs and the Hurwaeti, but I haven't had any good ideas for them yet. There was a discussion on the Piazza a while back about the Dohwar, and making a "Celestial Corporation" pantheon (opposed to the Celestial Bureaucracy, of course) for them that I may get back to one day.

On a side note, I have been considering expanding the goblinoid pantheons with some lesser and demipowers to make them more well rounded, and many of them will certainly have some Spelljammer hooks.

Jeff

AuldDragon

Explorer
AuldDragon, I noticed that several of your blog posts on this topic say you take requests for which deities to do next. Is that still the case? If so, I'd like to nominate Ferrix, and then Mellifleur, for updates.

Since I've switched to trying to get groups of deities done together, no I'm not. I'll confess, I've had no ideas about Ferrix at all yet (I tend to make notes when good ideas pop into my head, even if I'm not planning to work on a deity right away), and Mellifleur will be tricky since the write-up for FR's Velsharoon is such that it begs the question as to whether they are the same being or not (they share a realm for example, which you'd think liches in general, let alone lich-gods, would avoid...). Not sure how I will end up handling that.

Jeff

Samloyal23

Adventurer
I've been slipping in some plot hooks for Spelljammer where I can with the Goblinoid pantheon, such as hidden temples or mercenary/pirate forces. :) You'll also notice a few deities from Spelljammer sources in the list, such as Rais and Klikral. Once I get to the Beholder and Illithid pantheons, there will be plenty of Spelljammer references. I'm also pondering working on the Neogi pantheon, of which only names and portfolios are known. There was, sadly, very little written about the religions of a LOT of the Spelljammer races (to the point that the majority seem to have NO religion), so I'd have to make the vast majority of them out of whole cloth. I've long wanted to do something unique for the Gravs and the Hurwaeti, but I haven't had any good ideas for them yet. There was a discussion on the Piazza a while back about the Dohwar, and making a "Celestial Corporation" pantheon (opposed to the Celestial Bureaucracy, of course) for them that I may get back to one day.

On a side note, I have been considering expanding the goblinoid pantheons with some lesser and demipowers to make them more well rounded, and many of them will certainly have some Spelljammer hooks.

Jeff

There was an Egyptian goddess, Taweret, who was a hippopotamus. I think she would be a good mother-goddess for the Giff...

Last edited:

AuldDragon

Explorer
There was an Egyptian goddess, Taweret, who was hippopotamus. I think she would be a good mother-goddess for the Giff...

I'm actually not a fan at all of adapting human (particularly real-world) deities to non-human races. As there's no evidence of Egyptian influence on the Giff, I'd rather develop a custom god or pantheon for them. I figured they would have something with a military hierarchy.

Jeff

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases