D&D 4E Running player commentary on PCat's 4E Campaign - Paragon Tier

Dungeoneer

First Post
I'm itching for the first report from Paragon Tier!

I continue to find PC's game to be very inspiring. Not so much the specifics of the plot and stuff as the possibilities of the all the cool things you can do in a simple game of D&D. It makes me want to have stuff like that in my own game!

I'm trying to get better about incorporating PC backstories into my campaign arc, so I find the recent developments to be Relevant To My Interests even though we are not anywhere near paragon.

Keep it up!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
[MENTION=2]Piratecat[/MENTION], have you felt the need to adjust your DM'ing style to have the Pursuing Avenger's Oath of Enmity target run away more often than normal?
It's been a problem I haven't addressed yet. Last level was combat-light and exploration/roleplaying heavy, and we haven't had a really good mobile combat yet.

So ask me after next game. I'm hoping to change up my tactics a bit, which hopefully will be fun for everyone.

Robtheman

First Post
Regarding Pursuit Avenger, I find that roleplaying by the player can help motivate the creature to run away more often than they normally would. Any time my Pursuit Avenger strikes his foe he quotes a passage from an imagined Book of the Dead. This freaks most intelligent creatures out and gives the DM cause to have them flee.

Does this work every time? No. I really only need this to happen once or twice though. When it does, I stack all my minor action attacks and action points together for a moderate nova round.

Beyond that, the reliable to-hit rate and extra critical range from a Jagged Fullblade keep me happy as a player.

Last edited:

LightPhoenix

First Post
@Piratecat, have you felt the need to adjust your DM'ing style to have the Pursuing Avenger's Oath of Enmity target run away more often than normal?

Not Piratecat, but I've had trouble adjusting to the whole Pursuing Avenger myself. In my mind, I try to use it as an excuse for the monster to harry the ranged players without feeling too guilty for ganging up on them.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I was playing today in a game that's just seen us game at 15th level for the first time - dear holy shoot we pile out a lot of damage fast. This group, for four strikers, is just going to go crazy, and soon.

Really looking to continuing to read this thread - with an ongoing story like this you get a fantastic insight into learning as you go along!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The plot diagram is neat! Thanks for sharing it. I'd be interested to hear more about how you link things together.
Sagiro really stated it best when we were talking about this. His theory is "throw out about five times more plot hooks than you think you need, and see what sticks."

(Hey, my players: no new spoilers in this, but there's some "behind the scenes" stuff that may make me look more like Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkel Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs and less like the Wizard of Oz. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.)

Here's an example. When the campaign started, I had no idea what Strontium's past was. There was no reason to define that yet, of course. Far better to wait, see how the character develops, and look for an opportunity. When the PCs were cleaning out their tower's sub-basement at 5th level and uncovered a possessed book that claimed to be a soul echo of "Nithigol, apprentice of Inquisitor Zacris, Eye of the Crown, Zacris the Undying," I'd just made up the name on the spot. It was too good a name not to use later, though, so I wrote it down. Then I read about how every warforged has a unique head-symbol. What if Strontium had been a possession of Zacris? No, wait, screw that; go big or go home. What if Stron and Zacris were one and the same? So I started to layer the pieces in place. Background on inquisitors and local history, various clues from sages and statues. And now the PC is a huge unknown, a power player whom lots of people fear but who absolutely doesn't have the power to back up his reputation. How that plays out is going to be fascinating; it's the big heavy rock thrown into the still pond, and it will ripple into multiple plot threads.

Same with the execrable Riverlimb family. At the start I knew that Cobalt had supposedly killed a Croghan noble in a bar fight, and that's why he joined the Guard. He thought he'd been framed. What if he hadn't? If not, why was that noble in town? I sure needed someone who was paying for all those lizardman weapons, and the Riverlimbs were a good choice. Okay, but why were they behind this? Were they also behind the attempts to destabilize the PCs' home province of Iskaine? If so, it'd be so that the empire would invade and the province's rich lands would be split up between Croghan and the other neighbors, but that didn't seem right for the Riverlimbs. They seemed pettier than that, as befits a heroic tier villain instead of a paragon tier one. So what was it... okay, I wanted to link it to the raksasha/deva story of Alene/Aleph. I really liked that a lot. Even better, the PCs were still carrying around that wooden sword that they knew was a relic. What if the Riverlimbs wanted a raw source of primal magic to use for some horrible purpose? Bingo! Later, when I knew they were making golems, the rest of the plot links fell into place nicely.

Throw out a ton of plot hooks. See what the players bite at. If you can, work the other ones in around the back side. Defy expectations, look for big cinematic conflicts, and make sure everything makes logical and emotional sense.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Yes, you saved the most difficult thing for last. :)
In the real world, people are motivated by either logic, strong emotions, or a mixture of the two. Logic's easy to use when figuring out bad guy motivations. "I get more power by summoning my Dark God to conquer the world? SWEET!" "That powerful sorcerer will kill me if I don't poison this random merchant? I suppose I can do that."

Emotion, though, is trickier. It makes bad guys do irrational things in order to match their emotional state. I think it's a stronger tool in D&D mysteries because what's driving the bad guys isn't immediately obvious. If your bad guy is summoning his Dark God because it's the only way to gain vengeance against the lich who slew and animated his wife, your PCs have the opportunity of "defeating" the big bad guy by going off and gaining vengeance against another big bad guy. Hey, that even might convert the first one from an enemy into an ally. That's way more interesting to me.

Even better, you can use back story and emotional logic to justify almost any dumb mistake you make as a DM. When your players point out logical inconsistencies that exist because you screwed up, you raise one eyebrow mysteriously, say "that IS weird, isn't it?", and then scramble like hell behind the scenes to figure out why it'd be like that. It goes from a mistake to a new mystery for the group to discover. Just figure out what might make your bad guy act like that. When I make that work, all the plots actually snap into place for me with an audible *click.*

Then - and this is the important part - think about the consequences from a bad guy's emotional decision. If it were you, and you felt that way, what would you do to make sure you won and achieved your goals? What would you completely forget to do because you were focused on other tasks? Build that into the game; bad guys leave logical holes in their eeevil plans because they're blinded by emotional goals, and that's possibly something that the PCs can exploit in order to even the odds.

The reverse is also true. If you have a really logical bad guy, your PC bard can possibly rally the countryside with clever verse and brutally witty insults (*cough* skill challenge *cough*) to thwart him with emotion instead of logic.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases