D&D 3E/3.5 Fishing rules for 3.5...

reiku_uk

First Post
First off, Hi all, this is my first post after lurking for a while gathering info for my first ever d&d campaign.

Secondly, down to business! In tomorrow nights game, the players will be spending the majority of the night on a boat. I've set up a vendor on the boat that sells basic fishing equipment, but I cant find any rules that actually allow the players to fish apart from the standard 'spend 6 hours fishing, catch x amount of fish based on DC' stuff. Anyone have any ideas for a by-the-cast fishing rule? I'm thinking something like 2 tables to roll on, one to see if you hook anything and a second to see what it is (with modifiers based on equipment used, appropriate skills etc). Any pointers would be great, thanks :D

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
I'd say a Profession (fisherman) check against a DC. A higher DC for the rarer fish in there. And for a specially named fish, an even higher DC.

Of course there could be fighting involved if someone catches a large shark or a fish that loves the taste of fisherman blood.

Janx

Hero
I've gone fishing. I caught 2 sharks. It was hard.

First topic: how do you know they're going to spend a lot of time on the boat? What makes you think they'll want to go fishing? Be prepared to let them NOT go fishing, but also be prepared to make fishing be enticing (so that they'll use your new fishing rules).

Second Topic:
Fishing has to do with having the right bait, in the right spot, at the right time. You can resolve that with some die rolls to simulate that some times the fish are biting, some times they're not. A bite does not mean you got a fish, only that you have a chance to reel him in.

So, let's say the PC must wait N units of time until the next "bite", where N is deterimined by rolling 1d20. and the units of time might be rounds, minutes or hours (for slow spots) (perhaps 1d3 1=rounds, 2=minutes, 3=hours).

Now, you the GM need to know what's on the hook, they player won't really know until they pull him up. And the reeling is the real game. So, make yourself a big table of fish, and each one should have a roll to choose the size (because size matters). For each fish, it could be really small (young), or really big, or more likely, somewhere in between.

The size of the fish is what really determines how hard it is. Bigger fish fight harder, and are more likely to break the line.

So now, you know there's a bite, and what's on the line (more importantly, how big it is).

Reeling in a fish in deep water takes awhile. My 2 sharks were the biggest on the boat (longest was about 3-4'). I didn't have a clock, but it was probably 15-20 minutes each.

I recommend making it 3 stages (dice rolls/skill checks). The first is to set the hook. Probably the easiest stage make it the easy DC + size of fish modifier. Next, reeling it up. This is harder, so use a higher DC + size of fish modifier. Last, is getting it the last bit of distance and on the boat. This is the hardest. I found that the fish action is stronger, because the line distance and pole distance is so short. Similar formulat, except a higher DC.

The size of fish modifier, is something you'll have to work out. Let's try 10, 13, 15 DC for the base DCs of the 3 stages (assuming that for small fish, a person can reasonably catch the fish).

1' : +0 DC
2' : +3 DC
3' : + 6 DC
4' : + 9 DC
5' : + 12 DC

I'm making this up, but the pattern should be obvious. Biig fish = harder to catch.

This should turn each bite into a mini-game, and be sort of "realistic"

When I went fishing in the gulf, it was a 80 person fishing boat. Fish I remember being caught were: dolfin, red snapper, dogfish (thrown back), shark

dolfin is NOT dolphin. The former is a fish, the latter is a mammal.

To entice your players, some ideas:
a reward for catching a particular size of fish
a tall tale about a particularly hard to catch legendary fish (like the Simpson's episode)
fishmongers offering to buy fish from folks at docks (basically, we're travelling on a boat, might as well do some fishing and earn some money).
a rare fish breed that has some medical/magical property that's valuable to the PCs or some NPC.

Be sure to test out the fishing rule BEFORE making your players do it. You don't want to find that I invented an impossible to catch design, or just as bad, something so easy they catch every fish in the sea.

One last anecdote, when I went Catfish fishing in Nebraska a good many years back, we put in plain sticks with heavy line into the banks, with a young blue-gill on a hook as live bait. We checked the lines twice a day.

Each day, we went to a pond, and caught these baby blue gills (3" long maybe?) up to the limit (40 per person) for bait. These things were so easy to catch, we just dangled the hook in at the water service by the bank of the shallow pond and WATCHED the blue gill bite, and we'd pull it up and unhook and plop him in the bucket. So in the RIGHT conditions, it can be VERY quick to catch a lot of fish.

reiku_uk

First Post
[MENTION=8835]Janx[/MENTION]

Thank you very much, that's a great reply and very informative! I've gone for a system in which the player first rolls a d20 on a table on which 1 and 2 are 'line broke' and the rest are a mix of results, some being 'nothing caught' and others allowing the player to roll d4, 6, 10, 12 or 20 on a second table letting me know what they've caught (I will increase the number of fish if the game goes well and the players enjoy it, but I'm keeping my effort low at the minute incase they dont) and giving me a DC for them to beat to reel it in. A result of 1 means the rod snaps during the struggle, the other rolls are anything from rusty helmets and old boots to shellfish and other catches. Different rods give the players +1 or +2 to their fishing roll and they have the option of buying a Rig that allows them to catch multiple fish at once. Using bait allows them to re-roll 'nothing caught' results, indicating that the use of bait makes it more likely to snag a catch. I've done a seperate table showing the fish, the health increases they give when cooked and eaten and a sale price for if the players want to catch a large amount. I have a set amount of time they will be spending on the boat, and am having each attempt take around 10 minutes of in-game time.

On the topic of the players spending time on the boat, I've adopted a very open strategy with the campaign in which the players tell me where they want to go/explore next at the end of the current game, then I make the following weeks game around that. Last week they told me they want to sail to the island of Aktos to search for a rare herb in order to make a potent poison needed for an assassination attempt, so they're stuck on the boat til they arrive. I have a set timeline of major events occuring, and the players can influence them by being in the right place at the right time. For example, last week the players told me they wanted to investigate a murder in the port town of Denen (a very interesting CSI murder mystery style game that they loved!), meaning they weren't around to stop a necromancer from unleashing a trial run of his newest plague upon one of the eastern villages. They did, however, solve the murder and clear the name of the person wrongly accused. Unfortunately the murderer turned out to be the daughter of a very wealthy and powerful man, who hung for her crime. This will come back to bite the players later, they just don't know it yet!

Last edited:

Unless your players really enjoy roleplaying fishing in grand and glorious detail, I'd recommend a simple daily Survival check to gather food and move on to the meat of the adventure.

The alternative is to go completely crazy with checks: Craft (wood ) to make a pole, Craft (metal) to make a hook, Use Rope x2 to tie the line to the pole and hook, Profession (bait catching) to use the bait net, Knowledge (ocean) to decide where to cast the line, Athletics to see if they got the line to the intended point, Concentration to see if they can maintain patience long enough to get a bite, Spot to notice the line tug, Sleight of Hand to set the hook, Athletics to reel in the line, an attack roll followed by a grapple to grab the fish, then an opposed grapple check to get it into the boat, followed by a coup de grace. Then of course two Profession (chef) checks to clean and cook the fish for the meal ...

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Heh, cast lightening bolt at the water, pull what floats to the top out of the water. (There's a reason why fishin' with dynamite is illegal most places....)

The Auld Grump

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ever see Attack of the Giant Leeches?

Nice dynamite fishing in that one.

I'm thinking a Sorcerer w/Shocking Grasp would be a good tide-pool fisher...

Remove ads