DungeonMorph Dice (Dungeon Geomorphs) Kickstarter Project

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I've got fond memories of the classic Dungeon Geomorphs booklets, and for a while I've been keeping my eye on the RPG Bloggers who have been creating 10x10 geomorphs in a semi-standard format. I created some of my own a while back (although with a twist that wouldn't fit for this project.)

So I've launched a Kickstarter project to create a set of 5 1" custom dice with 30 different dungeon geomorph designs. And several of the same bloggers who I've been following have agreed to create a design for the project.

Read the details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1764845067/dungeonmorph-dice-dungeon-geomorphs And if you like the project, please consider a pledge!

If you're not familiar with Kickstarter, it is a way for projects to get funding. Aside from a few rules, people are free to pitch a product and anyone may make a pledge toward funding it. The person creating the product sets the target financial goal for the product (typically the minimum amount he needs to make the project worthwhile) and a deadline. If the project meets the goal by the deadline, the project creator receives the funds and once completed sends everyone who pledged the rewards they selected. But if the project does not meet its goal, everyone keeps their money.

dungeonmorph_logod.gif

Last edited:

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
I've updated the project with an example battlemat and another likely/possible design. Note that anyone ordering two sets of dice will get a FREE pdf of 1"/square (miniatures/battlemat) scale battlemats for all 30 geomorph designs. (And higher pledge levels get a couple of printed battlemats added for free.) Or you can buy a set of all thirty by adding $100 to your pledge.

Here is a direct link to the update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1764845067/dungeonmorph-dice-dungeon-geomorphs/posts

Last edited:

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
We're over half-way to meeting the original goal, in just a week! (And there are still 50-some days to go.) If/when we get close to meeting the original goal, I'll be adding a stretch goal to do a second set of dice. The second set will be cavern geomorphs. If that goal is met, anyone who pledges may select which set(s) he or she would like. If you pledge for one set, you can pick either. If you pledge for two sets you can pick a set of dice with the dungeon geomorphs or one with the cavern geomorphs. And if that goal is met, I would likely set a third goal and likely even think of a few other things to sweeten the deal. :)

Last night I put together several geomorphs where most have a worship area. Sizes of the worship area and the layouts vary. The designs are subject to change and not all of them may make the final cut, but it should give a good idea of where things are headed. Here's a link directly to that:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1764845067/dungeonmorph-dice-dungeon-geomorphs/posts/64803

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm a bit confused. If you meet your funding, will the project only be available to the patrons, or will it become commonly available? Phil Brucato's Powerchords project, for instance, seems like it will be available to the general public, now that it's funded.

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
The dice will likely be available to others afterward, with a couple of notes:
-I'll be doing my best to make the dice in a first ordered, first shipped method. So I may not even take orders outside of Kickstarter until I'm caught up. (Depending on the manufacturing process, which depends on the quantity.)
-Pledging to the Kickstarter project gives me more money up front to order more material/fund a larger run for those later sales.
-The Kickstarter pledges have extra incentives. (Especially as you order extra sets.) Those are at least partially "thank-you"s to the people pledging.

Thanks for your interest!

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
You got $80 of my cash for this joe. Would it also be possible to toss in a copy of either Dungeongrapher or Hexographer as well for those that pledge more as well?

Also, what sets of dice are you doing? I see Cavern and Temple. Are we talking 4 different unique sets of dice or what?

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
You got $80 of my cash for this joe. Would it also be possible to toss in a copy of either Dungeongrapher or Hexographer as well for those that pledge more as well?

I don't want to over-complicate the pledge levels. Kickstarter suggests keeping them simple. (Too many makes people decide to think it over and come back later--and often people never do.) Also, I don't get the pledge money until 2-3 weeks after the pledging ends, and only if it is successful. (Although that does look likely.) Anyway ordering Hexographer/Dungeonographer is just as easy as making a pledge. Just click a buy button on any page of their websites and follow the paypal/google checkout process. Both will let you pay by credit card without needing to set up an account with the service. (I know paypal lets you pay without a paypal account. I think Google does too.)

Also, what sets of dice are you doing? I see Cavern and Temple. Are we talking 4 different unique sets of dice or what?

Let me explain the overall approach, then answer your question in detail:
Right now we're only sure we're doing a dungeon set. If/when we meet the $6500 goal, we'll set a stretch goal (maybe $12000) to create a second set. But these will be Cavern dice. (More natural looking designs.) Then if/when that goal is set (and I'm hoping it will) we'll set a second stretch goal for a third set dice. These would be more dungeon designs. I want to do them, so I'm going to try to set the goals such that they will be achieved.

Anyway, the thinking *right now* is that the dungeon sets may have themed dice. For example, one die features temple/worship rooms on most (but not all) sides. 1-2 sides would have designs that could have worship rooms, but they wouldn't have any definitive temple features so they would be more generic. Another die could be sleeping quarters of varying sizes and layouts on most sides. But 1-2 sides would likely be more generic. Another die could feature dining halls/areas, Etc.

If we don't make the goal for the 2nd dungeon set we'll likely make the one set a little more generic where only 3 designs on the temple die have obvious temple trappings. But if we do make two dungeon sets we'll probably go with 4-5 sides with obvious temple trappings.

Also note that we're thinking each die will have:
- a side with a large room
- a side with a room almost as large but maybe a small side room or two
- a side packed with many medium and small rooms
- a side with fewer medium/side rooms and more "dead" space
- a side with mostly corridors and only 0-2 small or one medium room
- a side with a similar mix to the 3rd or 4th one mentioned in this list.

But we're still experimenting with all of this to get a good mix.

So to sum up: if we do a 2nd dungeon set (which will happen after a possible cavern set) the themed dice will be more obvious, but it will be 1 theme per die. If we don't do the 2nd dungeon set, a couple sides of each die will have a common theme for that die.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
I don't want to over-complicate the pledge levels. Kickstarter suggests keeping them simple. (Too many makes people decide to think it over and come back later--and often people never do.) Also, I don't get the pledge money until 2-3 weeks after the pledging ends, and only if it is successful.

I already put down $80 via my credit card. You got my money regardless. I was hoping for a freebie dungeon designing software :D Can't hurt to ask!

So to sum up: if we do a 2nd dungeon set (which will happen after a possible cavern set) the themed dice will be more obvious, but it will be 1 theme per die. If we don't do the 2nd dungeon set, a couple sides of each die will have a common theme for that die.

So let's say you do a stretch goal and make it as well. Does this qualify us to get one set from the 2nd batch instead of 4 sets from the first batch? I'd love to mix it up more if I could.

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
So let's say you do a stretch goal and make it as well. Does this qualify us to get one set from the 2nd batch instead of 4 sets from the first batch? I'd love to mix it up more if I could.

Definitely! When you pledge, you're just saying how many sets you want in all. Later, once pledging is complete, Kickstarter sends me all the pledgees' email adresses and then I'll be asking how many of each set each person wants. So if we do all three sets, you can pick 2 of set 1, 1 of set 2 and one of set 3; or 4 of one set; or 3 of one set and 1 of another; or whatever combination.

Edit: also, with regard to Dungeonographer/Hexographer... you may be really impressed with how much you can do using the free version of each.

Last edited:

Remove ads