Golems as characters

Mojo_Rat

First Post
they seem a little strong. though your working with a hard material ( of I made a funny) that iron golem 1 per day thing would end ALOT of fights as 1 per day all the bad guys get weaker.

though I'd like to ad it all seems well written and easy to read.

but as I said they are a hard subject t. I'd look at something like the new doll golem (forget the name) if it were medium sized or small it would probably make a good lvl 4 character.

concerro

Explorer
A PDF of playable Living Golems, first draft. The text was a little long for copy & paste.

I'd like a critique of both the concept and the race write-ups. While I did swipe a few things from the Warforge, I tried to keep the feel of golems from Bestiary 1.

Thoughts?
SR is a disguised curse. If someone friendly to you tries to cast a helpful spell the SR still applies. It takes a standard action to drop it also. How are the golems going to be healed?
Why did you choose the stats for them that you did?
I would drop the spell weakness. It is only there for actual golems because they ignore all the other spells that have SR.
I think they should be in line with the core races. Right now they are situationaly better, but over all not as good as the core races, going strictly by the document anyway.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
- Actually, SR as a disguised curse not only fits with the setting, but it helps balance the race. It also helps with the flavor of "this is a golem." Comparable to the Warforge and the effectivness of healing being halved.
- Stats were written with what seemed appropriate at the time, although I am thinking of changing it to a +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Dex, -2 Wis for all types of construct, regardless of materials they are made of.
- I like the spell weaknesses because it contributes to the feel of the race as a golem, and it is a counter to the spell resistance.

The golems are immune to half of the things that can be thrown at players. I've seen debates on just how strong or not that is, which varies by DM. I DO need to clarify that all but the Iron golem can wear armor (as appropriate for proficiancy and such).

I am open to ideas an suggestions, but I do want to retain the feel of the golems from the books. Perhaps I can give them each a special ability based on the materials they are made of, like how the living iron golem has a breath weapon (On that count, I was wondering if perhaps a 1d6 acid cloud 1/day would be better than a constitution attack).

concerro

Explorer
- Actually, SR as a disguised curse not only fits with the setting, but it helps balance the race. It also helps with the flavor of "this is a golem." Comparable to the Warforge and the effectivness of healing being halved.
- Stats were written with what seemed appropriate at the time, although I am thinking of changing it to a +2 Str, +2 Con, +2 Int, -2 Dex, -2 Wis for all types of construct, regardless of materials they are made of.
- I like the spell weaknesses because it contributes to the feel of the race as a golem, and it is a counter to the spell resistance.

The golems are immune to half of the things that can be thrown at players. I've seen debates on just how strong or not that is, which varies by DM. I DO need to clarify that all but the Iron golem can wear armor (as appropriate for proficiancy and such).

I am open to ideas an suggestions, but I do want to retain the feel of the golems from the books. Perhaps I can give them each a special ability based on the materials they are made of, like how the living iron golem has a breath weapon (On that count, I was wondering if perhaps a 1d6 acid cloud 1/day would be better than a constitution attack).
How are the golems going to be healed? They can't use cure spells unless you made an exception and I missed it.

PS:I do think a special ability as you named above would be cool though.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
[MENTION=37748]concerro[/MENTION]: You missed it. Living Golems are effected by magical healing as any other living creature; death and dying works as normal, due to the weaking of the soul's hold on the artificial body. It's the second bullet point under Living Golem traits, before I start going into individual golem types.

[MENTION=13483]blindrage[/MENTION]: Warforge are not ogl, and the flavor for living golems is a little different. One aspect of the campaign setting I am working on is the possibility for players to be "reincarnated" as golems. Since I am wanting to eventually publish this setting, everything in it has to be OGL.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
2nd draft (also added to the original post). Creation of a living golem will be covered in a spell at a later time. Each type of golem has a special weakness and a special ability, and I think I've got the special abilities fairly balanced (but not over-balanced to the point of being formulaic).

I am open minded towards some tweaking.

concerro

Explorer
I don't like SR and I don't agree with the balancing idea, but I am not the only potential customer. I would port the idea over to the Piazo boards eventually since there is where most of the target audience hangs out.

Remove ads