[REDACTED]

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
The Apprentice is an NPC though, and so is chosen and played by the DM, just like followers. This also requires two feats and a lot of dedication. The apprentice also doesn't accompany the Mentor on journeys unless asked as a favor, which decreases your Mentor score. It really isn't an optimized option, and the result is nothing like a Cohort. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DMGII p.179 "When the apprentice reaches 5th level, he graduates and follows the mentor as a cohort, as if she had the Leadership feat."
I do agree, this is not an optimized option, you end up with a Cohort 4 or more levels lower than yours. The Apprentice feat turns into the Mentor feat, so you really only end up requiring 1 feat. It does require a lot of dedication. But it does produce a second cohort alongside the Leadership feat.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Do you have room for your Cohort to take the Leadership feat, who in turn has his/her Cohort take leadership, and the resulting Leadership Cheese?

I'm falling way too much into shenanigans, aren't I?

Ashtagon

Adventurer
Regardless of a character’s Leadership score, he can only recruit a cohort who is two or more levels lower than himself.

That puts a definite cap on how high it is worth pumping your Leadership. Looking at the table, there's also an absolute maximum of 17th level for any cohort, regardless of your Leadership score.

Leadership score is generally equal to level + Charisma modifier. A +5 bonus at 19th level (slowly falling as you reduce the character level) is sufficient to get your best possible cohort.

Frankly, if you can't get a character level +5 bonus on Leadership by 20th level, you might be playing to lose. It's trivially easy if you are focusing in that direction.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Libris Mortis also has guidelines for an Undead Cohort and followers. I'd imagine a solid build could be designed around that, especially with the undead that reproduce themselves, such as a Ghoul cohort, Shadow cohort or Wight cohort.

Remove ads