D&D 3E/3.5 Narrative for 3e combat

smc

First Post
I asked about this on the wizards board a couple of times, but never really got a response, so I thought I would try here.....

The PHB and DMG imply that a single attack action (a hit or miss) is in fact just part of an exchange of blows. Nevertheless, both my players and I tend to talk about combat in terms of individual swings, single arrow shots (unless the person has multiple attacks to begin with), etc. 6 seconds is a very long time in a fight, and we tend to just ignore the disparity between the descriptions and the amount of time we are supposed to be filling. If a PC attacks an orc with a sword, I will respond with a description of how severe the hit was, or tell him that the swing was parried, blocked, tell him the orc ducked, or whatever. I don't imply that the PC and the Orc were trading blows for a few seconds before he finally got a hit.

I'd be curous how others handle this. When you resolve an attack in combat do you describe it as a single lunge, parry, strike, swing, shot. etc or do you "Fill out" the space in between? I was watching the extended LOTR:FOTR last night and I was reminded of how much can happen in 6 seconds of fighting. I like the sense of giving combat a frentic immediacy, tracking every single blow and parry, but is that justified under the 3e system?

I guess I can be thankful that I'm not running 1st edition....

Stalker0

Legend
I usually also consider a hit to be just a single blow, and not a series of them, it keeps it simple that way when describing. As long as you don't let your flavor text interfere with the basic mechanices of the game, there's nothign wrong with that. I think this especially makes sense for bows.

Just make your players understand how it works "in reality" or else you can start getting some arguments that are unneccesary and stupid.

Aaron2

Explorer
smc said:
I'd be curous how others handle this. When you resolve an attack in combat do you describe it as a single lunge, parry, strike, swing, shot. etc or do you "Fill out" the space in between? I was watching the extended LOTR:FOTR last night and I was reminded of how much can happen in 6 seconds of fighting. I like the sense of giving combat a frentic immediacy, tracking every single blow and parry, but is that justified under the 3e system?

I do it both ways. Usually for big monsters its one attack but for smaller and faster creatures its an array of quick attacks. Sometimes a miss will even be something like "you wait for an oppening in his defences but it never occurs" (i.e. you didn't even swing). Don't limit yourself to one way or the other. Mix it up.

Aaron

Drawmack

First Post

It is a single hit but multiple swings so I usually say something like. Admist unsuccessful strikes you see an opening in your opponents defneses and pull back landing a solid strike on his .....

However once a battle goes beyond the third of fourth round everyone in my group, including me, is pretty sick of the talk and we're just saying I hit for x damage.

ShawnLStroud

First Post
I try to run and describe combats so that they feel very much like the action in the LotR movie.

I use a quickened meter to my voice, demand quick dice rolls and then describe a series of actions that end up with the indicated result. I try to remember who's got what type of armor, so I can describe if a weapon strike is blocked by shield or is deflected by armor/magic effect, etc. Some of my players are gettinginto the spirit of things and helping by describing their movements and attacks in the same fashion.

Of course, you need to know that I'm fairly graphic in describing the effects of successful hits -- when a character goes into combat in my world, they normally come out of it covered in blood and other, less pleasant substances. I think describing things in a visceral, immediate fashion helps to make the r/p experience more immersive.

Comert

First Post
In our games we usually do not do it one hit - on swing way. For example a critical that kills is not always a blow to the neck. It could be that your blow caused your adversary to lower his defences and so you took advantage of his opening to attack repeatedly...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases