Entropic Creatures

Mr.Satan

First Post
I was thinking that with the massive variety of immortals out there, there could be a wider variety of entropic creatures.

I'm assuming that the entropic abilities of the various bestiary critters have their saves Constitution-based. I can't think of any other reason for them not having an ability modifier.

As for equipment, I'm sure there are plenty of things in the cosmos that entropic creatures would be interested in acquiring.

Entropic Creature

Whenever an immortal is slain, an entropic creature is birthed into reality.

“Entropic Creature” is an acquired template that can be added to any immortal (referred to hereafter as the “base creature”).

The entropic creature uses all the base creature's statistics and special abilities, except, as noted here.

The base creature loses it's divine template.

NB: An entropic creature can reacquire divinity after the acquisition of this template.

Size and Type: The base creature's type changes to Undead. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: An entropic creature has maximum hit points.

Speed: An entropic creature gains a fly speed equal to it's base land speed with perfect maneuverability.

NB: Entropic creatures do not fly; rather they are not subject to gravity in the same way other creatures are. They can move in any direction through any medium, disintegrating solid matter in their path.

Special Attacks: An entropic creature retains the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following:

Entropic Mastery (Ex): The damage dealt by entropic creatures is permanent.
A limited wish spell will heal 1 hit point of permanent damage. A miracle or wish will heal 1 point of permanent damage per level of the caster.
Those slain by an entropic creature are brought closer to the true nature of death and as such cannot be raised. However, they can be resurrected, albeit suffering a loss of 2 levels (from resurrection) or a loss of one level (from true resurrection).
Entropic creatures destroy non-magical matter with a touch. Magical items must make a Fortitude save (DC is 10 + 1/2 Hit Dice) each time they touch, or are touched by an entropic creature, or be destroyed.
Anyone grappling with, or striking the entropic creature suffers permanent damage equal to the base damage dice their attack would usually inflict.

Third Death (Su): If destroyed, an entropic creature implodes in upon itself. All targets within the entropic creature's reach must make a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the entropic creature's Hit Dice) or be sucked into the void and lost forever. Occasionally, beings lost in this manner find a way to return but they are never the same creature they were before unless they are somehow protected against the dimension of entropy.

NB: An entropic creature that is destroyed, is irrevocably slain.

Void Gaze (Su): Any intelligent creature looking at the entropic creature can become lost in the unrelenting depth of blackness. Intelligent creatures within 5 feet per 2 Hit Dice of the entropic creature must make a Will save or become fascinated for 2d6 rounds. The save DC is 10 + 1/2 the entropic creature's Hit Dice. This is a mind-affecting effect.

Special Qualities: An entropic creature retains the special attacks of the base creature and gains the following:

- Damage Reduction (Ex): An entropic creature gains damage reduction equal to half it's Hit Dice/- (rounded down to the nearest multiple of 5).

Abilities: An entropic creature gains -2 to Dexterity and -4 to Intelligence.

Organization: Solitary.

Challenge Rating: Same as base creature +4 (no extra equipment) or CR +7 (extra 10 levels of equipment).

Treasure: Standard.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +7 (no extra equipment) or +10 (extra 10 levels of equipment).

Last edited:

Hey Mr. Satan! :)

Well, the whole Entropic/Void/Unelemental thing was a way to create super (ie. Epic) undead that even the gods would fear.

Undead are powered by entropy, but Unelementals ARE entropy. Same thing with Umbrals.

I remember that the Nightshades were some sort of 'halfway' stage between Undead and Umbrals.

Of course Umbrals would have been much more dangerous back in 1E/2E since the basic idea is that they are based upon Umbral Blots/Blackballs...which are potentially sentient Spheres of Annihilation.

Beyond even Umbrals would be Anti-beings which are creatures from Negative Dimensions (Where Entropy is Dimension Zero).

Mr.Satan

First Post
And...? This explains the void dragons how? I'm genuinely confused. o0

Antibeings? Care to stat up a small one for us? I'm curious. Perhaps there is a subtype for an antibeing?

Mr.Satan said:

Well in my opinion your template (about the equivalent to a vampire) is undervaluing the concept of 'super-undead'.

This explains the void dragons how? I'm genuinely confused. o0

Void Dragons 'hatch' from Umbral Blots that exist in our universe for too long.

When a power/deity is destroyed permanently and the Umbral is able to enter through that void left by the destroyed power it means that nothingness is entering a physical universe.

Just as when you look into the Abyss, the Abyss looks into you. Then just as Umbral Blots annihilate matter, matter (likely dark matter) probably 'grows' on the Umbral Blot like bacteria. Enough of this gives it the power to become an Umbral Egg.

Antibeings? Care to stat up a small one for us? I'm curious. Perhaps there is a subtype for an antibeing?

I should probably be trying to get the Vampire Bestiary finished. :p

I'll likely include an Anti-Being in a book at some stage though (probably Vampire Bestiary 3 at this juncture - which will probably include the Umbrals). But they would be helluva powerful Time Lord level beings.

Mr.Satan

First Post
"Well in my opinion your template (about the equivalent to a vampire) is undervaluing the concept of 'super-undead'." - Krusty

It would only undervalue them if you made them common. A dying god is definitely not a common thing. Also...

Why are all unelementals humanoid? Doesn't that seem kinda humanocentric? Why couldn't there be more of a variety?

"Void Dragons 'hatch' from Umbral Blots that exist in our universe for too long." - Krusty

Interesting idea. So...a half-void elemental/half-void dragon would be a failed egg?

"I'll likely include an Anti-Being in a book at some stage though (probably Vampire Bestiary 3 at this juncture - which will probably include the Umbrals). But they would be helluva powerful Time Lord level beings." - Krusty

Perhaps you could simply give us an "anti" subtype or type? I'm incredibly curious about the concept of anti-elves and such.

I kinda envision them being a bit like an umbral crossed with a nilbog's reversed healing mechanics as it is.

I'm also still curious about THE FORGOTTEN...which ironically have been forgotten.

Is there a "Forgotten" template? Is it a curse? Is it a subtype? How does it work exactly? Why are they immune to dead magic areas?

Mr.Satan said:
It would only undervalue them if you made them common. A dying god is definitely not a common thing. Also...

A Level 30 character is one in a billion. Often power and rarity go hand in hand.

Why are all unelementals humanoid? Doesn't that seem kinda humanocentric? Why couldn't there be more of a variety?

The proportion of humanoid unelementals is equal to the proportion of humanoid deities.

Interesting idea. So...a half-void elemental/half-void dragon would be a failed egg?

Ha ha. :)

Perhaps you could simply give us an "anti" subtype or type? I'm incredibly curious about the concept of anti-elves and such.

Would they be called Fle's or Sevle's? :)

Frawd's would be cool though, as would Nogard's. I almost had Nogard's in the Epic Bestiary.

I kinda envision them being a bit like an umbral crossed with a nilbog's reversed healing mechanics as it is.

That idea could be to Anti-beings as Undead are to Umbrals.

I'm also still curious about THE FORGOTTEN...which ironically have been forgotten.

Is there a "Forgotten" template? Is it a curse? Is it a subtype? How does it work exactly? Why are they immune to dead magic areas?

I must admit I have forgotten about these Forgotten - where are they from? :confused:

Are you refering to the Sidhe or Forgotten Gods that live in the Feywild...?

Mr.Satan

First Post
THE FORGOTTEN
Those who become custodians of dead magic areas are known as the
forgotten. They can be of any race but are typically constructs, outsiders
and most commonly, undead. They are known as the forgotten because
areas of dead magic tend to be bleak and devoid of life and thus are best
left forgotten.
The forgotten are capable of using magic items, supernatural abilities
or casting spells within dead magic areas, giving them a tremendous
advantage against those invading their territory.

From Pg. 18 of Ascension

You never did explain them fully.

Hey Mr Satan! :)

Mr.Satan said:
THE FORGOTTEN
Those who become custodians of dead magic areas are known as the
forgotten. They can be of any race but are typically constructs, outsiders
and most commonly, undead. They are known as the forgotten because
areas of dead magic tend to be bleak and devoid of life and thus are best
left forgotten.
The forgotten are capable of using magic items, supernatural abilities
or casting spells within dead magic areas, giving them a tremendous
advantage against those invading their territory.

From Pg. 18 of Ascension

You never did explain them fully.

The great irony here is that I had totally forgotten about them. Given that fact, the idea must not have made a great impression on me.

They are intrinsically a 3E creation given the lack (or need) of Anti-magic/dead-magic in 4E.

Remove ads