A history of WotC's D&D staff

TheClone

First Post
I still remember that there were many changes on various leading D&D positions some time ago (a year or two?). I tried to find some information on the internet who was when on which chair, but couldn't find out much. I even was unable to find out what position Mike Mearls has and had. I guess my Google-skill is broken. Maybe you guys can help me? I look for all the leading positions inside the D&D department of WotC. If you can give me references, that'd be awesome.

What I found so far:

- D&D Brand Manager: Scott Rouse (? - ?), Kierin Chase (2010? - ?, NYCC Video Interview: Kierin Chase – D&D Brand Manager Suvudu - Science Fiction and Fantasy Books, Movies, and Games)

- Vice President and Director of RPG R&D: Bill Slavicsek (2000 -heute?, Bill Slavicsek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

- D&D Brand Director: Liz Schuh (? -?, http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/268684-who-d-d-brand-manager.html)

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
I still remember that there were many changes on various leading D&D positions some time ago (a year or two?). I tried to find some information on the internet who was when on which chair, but couldn't find out much. I even was unable to find out what position Mike Mearls has and had. I guess my Google-skill is broken. Maybe you guys can help me? I look for all the leading positions inside the D&D department of WotC. If you can give me references, that'd be awesome.

What I found so far:

- D&D Brand Manager: Scott Rouse (? - ?), Kierin Chase (2010? - ?, NYCC Video Interview: Kierin Chase – D&D Brand Manager Suvudu - Science Fiction and Fantasy Books, Movies, and Games)

- Vice President and Director of RPG R&D: Bill Slavicsek (2000 -heute?, Bill Slavicsek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

- D&D Brand Director: Liz Schuh (? -?, http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/268684-who-d-d-brand-manager.html)

Out of respect for the privacy of others you've mentioned I'll only speak for myself:

D&D Sr. Brand Manager: Scott Rouse (Dec 2005 - Oct 2009)

czak

First Post
If you are talking about the 2010 changes you want chris perkins' blog post:

Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

"We've made some recent changes to the D&D R&D staff. We've split the D&D creative team into two groups: the D&D RPG Group (focused on the 4th Edition D&D RPG and spinoff RPGs such as D&D Gamma World) and the D&D New Business Group (focused on D&D games beyond the RPGs, including board games and other stuff we can't talk about yet). Both groups report up into Bill Slavicsek, the Director of D&D R&D and Book Publishing.

Several staffers who used to work on RPG content have moved over to the D&D New Business team, including James Wyatt, Chris Youngs, Bruce Cordell, and Peter Lee. They have very exciting jobs, which I'm sure they'll talk about in the weeks and months ahead.

As for me, I've decided to stay with the D&D RPG, where I can do the least damage. LOL Here's the current D&D RPG Group, presented in alphabetical order:

Richard Baker (design manager), Greg Bilsland (editor), Bart Carroll (D&D website editor-in-chief), Michele Carter (editing manager), Jeremy Crawford (developer), Mike Mearls (group manager), Kim Mohan (managing editor), Cal Moore (editor), Christopher Perkins (senior producer), Stephen Schubert (development manager), Matt Sernett (designer), Rodney Thompson (designer), and Steve Winter (magazines editor-in-chief)."

Riley

Legend
Looking at that list, the one thing that strikes me is that Kim Mohan's been around forever. (Assuming he hasn't just been let go.)

Strange that we don't here more from/about him.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
The following people were let go by WotC after 4E was released in 2008, in addition to the ones listed above:

Andy Collins
Rob Heinso (sic)
David Noonan
Jonathan Tweet (though not that involved with D&D at that point)

And others I can't remember right now. But googling them will start to fill in blanks. Also, your 4E phb will have some credits...

TheClone

First Post
When you are laid off from the company that makes D&D you join great company.

Its like a right of passage.

I wonder how common it is in the US to support changes in organization, releases and whatever concerning company politics with laying off employees. It's pretty logical when releasing 4e that there's less work after that and so some people have to go. But I'm not sure if that can be a common theme. It also seems like the "upper level" is not changed that often. for example Liz Schuh seems to have been sticking around quite a time, whereas the changing personal seems primarily to affect the positions where you directly write books or set the outline for those.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Both senior creative and brand staff have gotten axe over the years. If anything, a somewhat higher pay grade seems to make you a target.

But, we (or at least I) don't know much about more senior WotC managment, except for what the Guv just posted. And I am sure that more junior people have also been let go...as so many have been let go in general.

Remove ads