Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder outselling D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
The digital tools are both.

Going forward can get them that much more easily.

And those who have adopted the current model get to enjoy it now, and when the next version comes out! :D

I see now.

Your entire argument is "I'm right. Your wrong. This way is the best."

Did it ever dawn on you that some things are different than others and the same model doesn't work for all things?

D&D is not software. It isn't a video game.

It is a roleplaying game. The greatest asset it has is the imagination of the playerbase.

The rules are not the primary driver of the game. If people who play roleplaying games were primarily interested in the rules, the game would not even exist. They would move to video games where the rules are set and play them.

The primary draw for us weirdos that still like to play this strange little thing known as RPGs (non-video game) is it stimulates are imagination. The rules give us a nice framework to draw from, but they are certainly not the primary driver of interest in the game.

I do not think Paizo sales are doing well because their rule system is better. I think Paizo sales are doing well because their fluff is much better. They are appealing to the imagination of us gamers.

When I buy a Paizo product, I don't go great rule. Because some of their rules aren't that great.

What I say to myself is "Wow. this inspires me to create a great character concept or a great adventure. Or this adventure path is really interesting, I really want to run it."

Like when they came out with the APG and had options for the fighter types. I read them all and came up with great ideas for characters and enemies. When they added the Oracle and Inquisitor class, I thought "Wow. These are some really cool classes. They really capture a certain flavor that I like." That's what rule design should do. Inspire creativity. Sometimes excessively modular design does not accomplish this.

Just like the old Vancian Magic system inspired ideas for spell strategy and character types. I liked being able to design an entire magical character around shapechange. Or designing an entire character around conjuring minions or taking over minds. And Paizo continued this type of creativity with Pathfinder while 4E went in a different direction reducing everything in the game down to damage and a minor, short-term effect.

The modular rules in 4E did not inspire my creativity when I picked up the book.

While Pathfinder and the previous 3E did.

That's pretty much what it came down to for me. I still play Pen and Paper RPGs because I still love the stimulation to my imagination.

Now I speak only for myself. I know 4E inspired a great many people with its design. That's fine. Different strokes for different folks.

But it did not inspire me. It has nothing to do with being a traditionalist. I have adopted every new edition of D&D up to 4E right from the beginning. And there was a time when 3E was very new and I jumped right in. I just don't care for 4E. If WotC had designed a game I enjoyed, I woud still be riding the D&D train. They didn't. Simple as that.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I would like to see if the actual RPG section of WotC was doing well with digitial sales versus the entire company.

WotC the company is doing better than Paizo. That is obvious. They have many other profitable properties to draw income from. But is 4E meeting the goals they set for it?

I've always wondered how much Hasbro wanted D&D. Card games, board games, figures, things like this Hasbro understands.

Pen and Paper RPGs I'm not so sure about. How much are they dedicated to the hobby.

D&D has always required a certain amount of dedication from an odd group. That's why its been passed around from company to company. It's not a standard business model with an easily identifiable demographic.

It's entire appeal relies on a demographic that is widely varied. And each group within the demographic might do things in an entirely different fashion.

The primary draw of D&D for a corporation would have to be market position. And if that market position was damaged in any way, that might cause a big corporation like Hasbro to jettision that part of the company.

I wonder how strongly positioned D&D is in the RPG market at this point. We all know they were really dominant during the peak of 3E. Is that dominance being maintained with 4E? And how dominant?

I would not at all be surprised if at some point Hasbro does one of the following:

1. Sells D&D off because they can't depend on it like they can say card games or board games.

2. Turns it into an MMORPG or sells it off to an MMORPG company to use the source material.

We'll see in time. I do doubt that D&D is meeting the profit standards of Hasbro. I think they may be less willing to dump money into it if it falters. If any property from WotC gets sold off at some point, it will be D&D.

Dannager

First Post
I see now.

Your entire argument is "I'm right. Your wrong. This way is the best."

Did it ever dawn on you that some things are different than others and the same model doesn't work for all things?

Yes, it did. And if you'd bothered to read the thread instead of flippantly dismissing my posts, you'd see that I acknowledged that individual games may go whichever way they please, and undoubtedly some people will still play them. What I'm talking about, however, is the direction that the industry forerunners will take.

I'm not making a value judgment about whether the model I outlined is good or bad in order to prop my position up. I do believe it's a healthy model for the industry, but that hasn't been a part of my argument.

Maybe take a step or three back, consider that this might just be a thoughtfully-considered opinion on my part, and then respond accordingly. You took someone's analysis of industry trends, dismissed the analysis, accused me of being comically unaware of how RPGs work, and then used the whole thing as an excuse to fire off another round of edition war drivel. Please stop doing that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I really wanted to just let this thread get back on course, but when you get called out by the owner of the site, I guess you really don't have a choice but to offer a rebuttal...

Nobody called you out. Your post merely started my train of thought. I wasn't even really replying to you - my post just kinda followed on.

Without the knowledge of what it cost WotC to create and maintain DDI I see no evidence that it is a success either... only time will tell.

Pretty sure I said that. In fact I used the words: "Well, we simply don't know. And we aren't likely to. We can throw out all the random numbers we want to, but we simply do not know."

Could there be a slight conflict of interest here since you've told us 4e AP"s for WotBS sold better than 3.5 for ENworld?

All this really shows is that you have real financial reasons for supporting 4e as opposed to Pathfinder or 3.x

Excuse me? Other than the fact that I sell for both games, and that I fail to see how my debating the issue on a messageboard will have any effect on anything, this type of remark is entirely inappropriate for this messageboard. Please stick to discussing the topic, not your perceived motives of other members.

Who made the comparison between book sales and DDI? And please provide a quote because I don't remember this comparison being made in this thread. Otherwise it just seems like you have a preference and agenda since you don't have any hard evidence either.

I did. My post was about comparing the two companies being hard to do because their success is measured differently. I felt it was in interesting line of conversation; if you don't agree, that's fine - but, again, leave off the accusations. Now.

OAN: No one comapred book sales to DDI, why do you keep bringing this up?

I am comparing book sales to DDI. Or rather discussing the fact that one can't. It's a line of conversation I'm interested in. You are welcome to pursue that line of conversation with me or not. I personally feel it's interesting.

Imaro

Legend
Does not work as a commercially viable model. Some people are casting doubt on this. Those people are silly, because we have basically no indications that it's bad and a number of indications that it's pretty great, business-wise. No one knows for certain how it's doing, but to start claiming that it doesn't work is just weird.

So we have no numbers, no statements by WotC reps as to the profits or losses... yet we can declare it a success. This makes no sense. We have no indication (except for wild guesses and opinions) that DDI is a success financially compared to the amount invested in it... Unless you have real numbers or a statement it's just as erroneous to claim it is a success as it is to claim it's a failure... how do you not see this?

That's what he said.

Now go back and read what I posted above... you cannot both declare DDI is a success, and claim we don't have enough info to know whether it is doing well or not that was what I was objecting to.

We don't know how successful it is, but it's clear that it's working. To say otherwise is, again, weird.

Here we go again... You're assuming it's successful, with no evidence. That's the problem here. I'm saying we don't know either way. You're saying it's a success, we just don't know HOW successful it is, when in fact we don't know anything.

Good lord.

Removed my comment in respect to Morrus's post above.

Have you read this thread? The Paizo's book sales vs. WotC's book sales comparisons started in post 1.

Or are you talking about the "comparing WotC's book sales to Paizo's is like comparing Paizo's book sales to Blizzard's" bit? Because no one made that comparison. Morrus was using it to illustrate how pointless it is to compare WotC and Paizo's book sales.

Are you have trouble following along? It seems like you are.

Can we drop the snark? Seriously I have no problem discussing with you but you seem to get off on throwing snide comments at the posters you're engaging with.

No, it's not. It's relevant because Zynga's business model is to make money through microtransactions. Saying "But Paramount sells more DVDs than Zynga!" doesn't work as a criticism against Zynga, because selling DVDs is not the primary way Zynga is making money.

Good for them... The problem is we have no numbers from DDI to compare, that's the point. You and Morrus are basing everything on the assumption that DDI is doing great when there is no evidence (much as you two claim there is and haven't provided it) that DDI is doing great, breaking even or failing. And I'm sorry but WotC still has books on the shelves and coming up in their schedule so they are still a book publisher.

Similarly, WotC's business model is now to generate tons of revenue through an online service. Saying that WotC must be doing poorly because its book sales are less than Paizo's doesn't really mean anything, because WotC is not relying solely (or even primarily, necessarily) on book sales.

Well I'm glad you have insider information into WotC's plans. Can you now provide the numbers we need. Because IMO, it's just as likely that book sales for WotC began to flop because the integration of DDI and books wasn't well thought out and they canabalized each other, so WotC had no choice but to focus on one or the other, and since the DDI couldn't just be shut down they went with it... but no, that's not possible... they planed this all along.

This is pretty clear from Morrus' post. Again, it seems as though you're having trouble following along. Perhaps spend a few more minutes digesting posts before responding.

Again, please drop the passive aggressive crap because at a certain point it goes both ways.

No, he claimed that it's working. And it is. It's basically impossible to argue that it's not working for WotC, because if it wasn't working for them, they wouldn't be doing it after three years.

For all you know WotC could be banking on DDI paying off in the future. Do you know how much money, time, etc. WotC is willing to invest in their software suite before it becomes an actual success or is considered a total failure and dropped? You assume much and have nothing to back it up.

What?! No. He's saying (again) that it's silly to compare book sales between the two companies because WotC isn't really about book sales anymore so much as they're about delivering content, no matter the method.

Yeah, only they do still produce books and thus a comparison can be made. Whether you feel the comparison is valid or not is pure opinion.

Yes.

He's not saying that people are comparing book sales to DDI sales. He's saying that comparisons between the two companies' book sales are pointless for determining how successful either company is with respect to the other.

Until WotC totally pulls out of producing books, it's not. They still either make or loose money on their book sales. So no it's not pointless. I will admit it doesn't paint the entire picture but no one said it did, in fact even Lisa said DDI wasn't taken into account... but then neither were Paizo's subscriptions.

You have managed to totally misunderstand Morrus, and leapt so far past his point that you're now accusing him of coloring his own opinion for the sake of financial gain?

Man.
Removed my comment in respect to Morrus's post above.

Last edited:

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Play nice kids, Unca Grumpy is trying to take a nap. :)

Seriously, round robins with both sides repeating themselves get tiresome quickly, and are likely to end in thread closure.

Seriously, round robins with both sides repeating themselves get tiresome quickly, and are likely to end in thread closure.

The Auld Grump, 'says Mrs. Pot to Mrs. Kettle, how very black thou art....' Not sayin' I'm much better, mind....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I hope that WotC is doing so well on the electronic format that they aren't being overly hurt by dropping books.

I am vey happy for Paizo, because I enjoy their adventure materials, and I appreciate their approach to the business.

And I am happy for Goodman Games, because DCC RPG is the most fun I've had reading an RPG product since the 1e DMG.

Diversity and competition is good.

This I can fully get behind - the best thing for our hobby is that all of these companies do well, regardless of one's preferred game. I hope WotC is doing well; I'm delighted that Paizo is. I don't know enough about Goodman Games' line to comment, but I certainly hope it's doing well. Green Ronin seems to be doing well with its M&M stuff. There are others, I'm sure.

This I can fully get behind - the best thing for our hobby is that all of these companies do well, regardless of one's preferred game. I hope WotC is doing well; I'm delighted that Paizo is. I don't know enough about Goodman Games' line to comment, but I certainly hope it's doing well. Green Ronin seems to be doing well with its M&M stuff. There are others, I'm sure.

100% agree with this. For the first time in many years i feel like i have real and meaningful options when i walk into a game store. Think that is a plus for all of us.

Firebeetle

Explorer
And in what way do our credentials make either of us a better judge of what makes a good RPG?

You've missed the point, twice. It's not about credentials, it's an example. I'm writing about what I know. At no point did I say, "I'm a teacher, therefore listen to me," and I challenge you to find where I did.

To be blunt, it does not, unless one of us has a degree in the design of roleplaying games. I taught military history, which is at least tangentially connected. But it does not make my opinion any better, or any worse, than any other person who runs, or plays games. We are both well behind in authority to folks who write, sell, and market games.

Agreed. I never said I was.

Thus the logical fallacy of The Appeal to Authority. Neither of us have any, but then I am not claiming any. I am merely saying that neither of us has any legitimate authority to claim.

Neither of us has any claim to authority better than 'I like this game, that game sucks'. Or, for that matter, that 'there is a market for each game, let folks play what they like'. So who has what degrees, and who teaches what, and for what body of students they do their teaching and preaching matters not one whit.

There was no logical benefit to your mentioning that you were an educator, and the only purpose to my mentioning the fact that I have also taught was to point out that in neither case does this fact have any bearing.

It was to set the reader up for the example I was using, as I've already stated at length, twice. If I wanted to actually try to get on a high horse about design, I would have listed my numerous design credits, all for 3.x. Which I do in a post below to refute some other guy who has made assumptions about me. If I wanted to appeal to authority, I probably would have raised that point, don't you think?

Now you and I are both are adding Argument Through Verbosity - another logical fallacy, with perhaps a soupcon of Ad Hominem Attack.

So, if I write a detailed response in paragraph form, I'm committing a fallacy? That's not what we are teaching in the classroom, btw. Detailed responses are what we are hoping for. You were so incredibly off base with your attack of me personally in a post that contained no reference to the actual topic of the thread I felt the need to explain at length. I'm always verbose, I even write articles for the University of Pheonix. Oops, I guess I just fallacied again (like that's even a verb.) That's not an appeal to authority folks, just that I find it easy to vomit out words in quantity. With that clarifying statement said, in no way does verbosity give my opinion any more weight than yours.

You have shown me no proof that your opinion is in any way, shape, or form either better or more informed than mine own. In turn, I do not claim that mine is any better, nor more informed, than yours, much as I may like to think that it is so.

Again, agreed. If you read my posts in total you may begin to understand this as well.

Last time I checked, English was a primary subject, as is history. Want to try for another tack? I don't think that either of us has tried for an Undistributed Middle yet.

You see, that "English is a separate subject" idea has got to go. I had a middle school teacher argue that she had sole province over teaching English and that she was the only qualified person to teach it when I suggested a summer school plan that included English curriculum for all classes. She teaches English for all students in her grade level, and her scores are not terrific. That's the problem in education right there, as long as an admin allows that idea to continue, we are unlikely to raise those scores much. When kids are reading instructions for the games they play in gym, writing reports on composers in music class, and writing essays in history using the exact same rubric they do in English we will be getting somewhere.

That's a problem today too. 4e is a change in how RPGs run, one that makes the game more open to new players which we absolutely need to continue our hobby. Just like teachers do (I guess I fallacied again) so many have closed ranks and desperately tried to stick to what they know. On that note, I'd like a comparison of red box sales to the PF beginner's box.

The market will be the actual judge for these games - I think that there is enough room for both games, but at the moment, at the moment, 4e is stagnating a bit. This can change, and likely will.

Agreed. Although even if 4e goes teats up, I believe it has already blazed the trail of RPGs in the future, but that's another post.

, for its part, is proving more robust than expected, and is growing faster than 4e, at the moment. Again, subject to change as the market reacts, and also subject to local conditions.

There is room for both games to grow, but WotC might need a kick in the trousers.

Agreed. WotC has actually made very few products that appeal to me lately. I fully expected to be purchasing my next PHB, DMG, and MM by this point. Instead, there are lots of essentials products of which I've only picked up the Rules Compendium. I hope to get a second hand copy of the Monster Vault, because I don't really want the pogs (you want to hear me bash 4e, get me started on the pogs!). I don't want or need a red box. WotC, give me something to buy, I don't even buy tiles anymore because I make my own terrain now (shout out to Vince of showcaseterrain.com, that dungeon set rocks hardcore). I stopped buying the minis when the price went up, it's cheaper and more fun to buy metal and paint them. Lots of books have been aimed at players, which I appreciate. However, DMs spend considerably more than players do (5x or something, according to research I heard at a WotC seminar back in 2000) I am thankful for the redistribution of wealth, but maybe some more DM products are called for. I did pick up both board games, (so I could paint the minis mostly) and I don't know if those count as D&D sales. It's entirely possible that I, an "evangelical" 4e player, have had little opportunity to buy 4e products lately.

The Auld Grump, I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy.
You see by my outfit that I'm a cowboy too....
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys,
If you buy an outfit you can be a cowboy too.... (There, now I have added an Undistributed Middle!)

I love the Smother's Brothers too. Again, we agree.

Well, unless I miss my mark you're halfway through composing your rebuttal in your head, which will be a fine opportunity for you to explore the Last Word Fallacy. Go ahead, I'm done explaining the same thing three times over.

As for everyone else, let the attacks continue.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads