Pathfinder 1E Paizo Copyright Issues at Obsidian Portal?

carmachu

Explorer
This explains the reactions we've seen.

It doesn't excuse those reactions.

of course it does. You get what you give. WotC/GW have given more crap, less good will. They get a certain reaction. PP/Paizo have given more in good will, get more understanding. Thats just life.

Good will, while intangible, is actually a business term. We use it, and earn it around here in something completelt different field of business. It can generate sales- as the old saying goes- 10 good sales may generate good will to get one more. 1 bad sale will kill 10 sales.

I'm willing to cut people breaks whom have earned my good will. Folks that have burned bridges with me or have annoyed or pissed me off, I wouldnt cut them any slack.

Works with companies whom have done me right. As opposed to ones that piss in their well. I can be more patient or understand with one who has done me right, where as ones that havent, not.

Dannager

First Post
of course it does. You get what you give. WotC/GW have given more crap, less good will. They get a certain reaction. PP/Paizo have given more in good will, get more understanding. Thats just life.

That's my point. It explains the reactions we've seen.

You can just shrug and say, "People will be people."

That doesn't excuse those reactions. Do you understand the difference between an explanation and an excuse?

I'm willing to cut people breaks whom have earned my good will. Folks that have burned bridges with me or have annoyed or pissed me off, I wouldnt cut them any slack.

Yes. That's how people are. You get treated poorly, you treat that person poorly in return.

This is, of course, the opposite of the principle of reciprocity (otherwise known as the Golden Rule) - instead of treating WotC/GW/whomever the way you would like to be treated, you treat them the way they've treated you.

It's only natural.

That doesn't make it morally excusable.

Dannager

First Post
While I try to live by the Golden Rule, i'd hardly call it natural.

I'd have to say that it is, in many ways, profoundly unnatural, but extremely ethical and virtuous.

That was my point.

The behavior seen in this thread (and others elsewhere)? Natural.

The behavior required of us by our own shared ethics? Unnatural, but worth striving for.

You can explain away behavior that is merely natural in the face of having to make an ethical choice, but it's much harder to excuse that same behavior.

wraith808

Explorer
In RPG's, physical books still offer ease of use at a level that no tablet or laptop can reach <snip />

In your opinion. I find the PDFs of far more use in almost all aspects, other than liking to have a physical copy at times, and trusting other people more with my books than my ipad. :)

pawsplay

Hero
The presence of goodwill may mean an "excuse" isn't needed. If the nicest person I know snaps at me, I assume something is bothering them, not that they've turned evil.

Admittedly, I would never have seen the Anakin-becoming-Darth-Vader thing coming using that rule.

carmachu

Explorer
That's my point. It explains the reactions we've seen.

You can just shrug and say, "People will be people."

That doesn't excuse those reactions. Do you understand the difference between an explanation and an excuse?

Do you understand good will? It will make a rather LARGE difference in how people will treat you or your company.

Its not an excuse, its what happens in business, as well as person to person. Going back to my earlier example, Games workshop, they will never, ever EVER get a break on whether or not people accept what they say or do. They have negative good will, ill will if you will. They earned that, and in turn, dont earn people's understanding when they do something.

Yes. That's how people are. You get treated poorly, you treat that person poorly in return.

This is, of course, the opposite of the principle of reciprocity (otherwise known as the Golden Rule) - instead of treating WotC/GW/whomever the way you would like to be treated, you treat them the way they've treated you.

It's only natural.

That doesn't make it morally excusable.

Morally excusable? Isnt that a rather large leap there? There is no such thing as the golden rule in business. There is such a thing as good will. Which is why when Erik Mona comes out and explain what happen, earlier in the thread, generally people will accept or believe it. If it was say, jervis Johnson from Games workshop, people most likely, based on how the company has treated folks and acted, not.

Wotc doesnt have nearly the negative banking that GW has, but it also doesnt have, or has used up a bunch of good will that PP and Paizo has built.

Remove ads