Dagger whip, mighty whip books

After scouring my PDF library and the internet for several hours, I've pretty much lost hope of finding a 3.5 version of a whip dagger or mighty whip. For some reason I recall seeing those two listed together in one of the splatbooks.

Does anyone know which book or resource these are in?

Dross

Explorer
I have vague memories of Arms and Equipment guide (3.0?) having something along those lines.

Enworld may have had a 3rd party whip book;) as a downloadable pdf.

I know it's in the A&E book, but that's still 3.0. I'd rather not have to go through conversion hoops in getting a decent whip, especially when I've already taken a lot of liberties with my DM. Spontaneous Cleric casting? Yeah, I'm surprised he hasn't said anything besides "You really need to keep track of these spells. It gets annoying when you look them up."

Tharkon

First Post
The Whip dagger, Mighty whip, Mighty whip dagger and the Lasher prestige class all did not make it to 3.5.

The only conclusions I can think of is that WotC re-considered and wanted the whip to remain a weak weapon.

I'm looking myself too, cause I want to make some slavedriver monsters.

There were a lot of other harder to imagine weapons in those books that also didn't make it, like the mercurial greatsword, a two-handed exotic melee weapon for medium creatures dealing 2d8 damage with a x4 critical multiplier.

The reason for the Mighty whip is rather easy actually. Since as far as I can tell nothing prevents you from applying your strength modifier to an attack with a normal whip under 3.5 rules. So basically all whips are mighty whips equal to whatever strength modifier the wielder has.

This is because in 3.0 whips were ranged weapons of limited range, while in 3.5 they are melee weapons with extended reach.

Oh, and they originally were in Sword and Fist (2001), and later in Arms and Equipment Guide (2003).
The difference being that in 2001 the whip-dagger had a threat range of 19-20 and in 2003 just 20, otherwise the weapons are the same in both books.

Stormwrack (2005) has the first non-core 3.5 version of a whip I found, the Stingray whip.
It deals 1d6 damage unless the opponent has at least +2 Armor or +4 Nat. Armor and has a special effect causing penalties.
Weirdly it does not seem to qualify as a reach weapon, but as a thrown weapon instead.

It's counterpart Sandstorm (2005) has the Scorpion-tail whip.
Again not a reach weapon, but is not stopped by armour, deals 1d4 non-lethal damage or 2d4 lethal+poison on a critical hit.
Poison needs to be replaced after each usage.

Last edited:

Ranger19k

Explorer
Crystal Keep listed the dagger whip as found in Dragon 353 (p28) and Dungeon 134 (p50). The dates on those make it look like it was 3.5 territory.

If you just want the stats for the weapons, the compilation is still posted here.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you count the Oriental Adventures's 3.5 update, the Kusarigama and Kyogetsu Shoge are both "whip-daggers", mechanically speaking.

Tharkon

First Post
If you count the Oriental Adventures's 3.5 update, the Kusarigama and Kyogetsu Shoge are both "whip-daggers", mechanically speaking.

The 3.0 version of the Kusari-Gama is more like a weak spiked chain then a whip.

There was a OA 3.5 update in Dragon magazine #318.

I was looking in the update booklet, odd that they did make a 3.5 update but did not include it in that booklet. Guess I should look into Dragon magazine sometime, this is not the first reference to that. I'll get number 318 and update my Oriental Adventures book.

Dragon Magazine 318 does have 3.5 info for OA, but not for Chapters 5 (Equipment) and 6 (Combat), so no updated weapons.
So not sure where you found the Kyogetsu Shoge.

Last edited:

Remove ads