ZEITGEIST Layout question for ZEITGEIST - print or screen primary?

When you have an adventure PDF, how do you use it?

We're wrapping up layout of the 1st adventure (the Pathfinder version is ready; Eric is working on the 4e version). Adobe Acrobat lets us use layers, and so it's possible to toggle the fancy borders on and off.

I assume that most people read on the screen, and that if they want to print and save ink they'll look at the layers and turn off the ones they don't want. But I figured it would help to be semi-scientific and poll people. So, when you have a gaming adventure, how do you use it? See the poll above.

Shisumo

First Post
Boring screen = less interest in reading, for certain.

Honestly, more important than borders/no borders for me is portrait/landscape. While I realize that documents intended for print publication pretty much have to be portrait, I would really rather the PDFs be landscape for ease of reading onscreen...

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I said screen read only (I'm OnlineDM, after all), though if I really love the adventure I might order a print-on-demand copy as well.

There have been times in the past that I've acquired an adventure in paper format and actually scanned it to PDF so that I could have it on my screen. Of course, I use MapTool to run my games (either online, or in person with a projector), so I might be a bit of an outlier.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Perhaps I will be the lone dissent. Were it not for cost, I would always print the material. In reality, I have used about half and half with WotBS so far.

As to the "portrait vs. Landscape" question, I prefer portrait. After all, I use an iPad not a laptop for my in game digital reader.

benfromidaho

First Post
I usually do all my prep work on my MacBook, but when it comes to actual at the table usage, I'll end up printing the adventure out. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like the tangibility of it all.

Colmarr

First Post
Despite getting my Zeitgeist online, I almost exclusively like to read it in print.

I might run the adventure from my screen copy (not sure) to save desk space, but I've never enjoyed reading text on a computer screen.

Rugult

On Call GM
I usually buy myself a PoD version before running it.

I'll admit that I used to be a big fan of reading it off-screen (did it with the whole Burning Sky), but after getting a taste of the layout for the Zeitgeist books (and the upcoming Adventure 1)... You have no reason NOT to buy the physical copies!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
but after getting a taste of the layout for the Zeitgeist books (and the upcoming Adventure 1)...

Did Ryan forward you the finished version of Island at the Axis of the World? Holy crap is it gorgeous! Eric's knocked this one out of the park.

Remove ads