[LPF] Uncertain Whereabouts

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna (Mermaid Synthesist 1)

Arianna studies formation of the cards intently as well as the currents in the whisps that form them. "The motion... the breath... the possessor is near them."

"Meticulous exactness in position and pattern. Repetition in pattern. That is how the bookless ones retain our knowledge."

Qik

First Post
As Thuvian, Saranna, and Ioseph concentrate on their chosen subjects, with Arianna keenly studying the image floating on the table, the gnome smiles. "Got you," he speaks, with some satisfaction.

As the group watches, the floating image of the cards pans out with an incredible rapidity, shifting to an overhead view of a rugged, hilly landscape dotted with dense patches of forest. At the edge of the image sits a mass of civilization, which the group takes to be Venza. The image holds for a moment or two, so that the four are able to study it intently. It then begins to twist and transform, showing a variety of images in turn, each of which holds for a moment before being swallowed into the next.

One of the more prominent, long-lasting scenes involves a dark, omnious looking cave. After lingering on its opening for a moment, the image zooms through the darkness. Although it is soon cut short by other images, Saranna is able to make out the visage of a stocky warrior: dwarf-like, but infinitely more hostile. Turning to the book she's been flipping through, she finds that her finger is resting on a section entitled Greater Venza: The Duergar, and Other Hostile Inhabitants. Within the same image, Thuvian is able to spot a menacing cephalopod; Arianna seems to spot the same image, and the two decide between them that it must be a darkmantle.

The remainder of the imagery often include flashes of a forest-enshrined path or more relating to the cave. There are a few images of mysterious figures hidden by cloaks, and one particularly harrowing one of a scholarly-looking halfling man screaming, but these appear briefly and somewhat out of focus. After a few minutes, the pace of these visions begins to slow, until the image of the deck of cards, floating like a beacon in the center of the table, returns. The gnome opens one eye, nods encouragingly, and gestures to the four others, as if to prompt them to continue with their mental inquiries.

[sblock=OOC]Looking good so far. I would like a Knowledge (History) roll from Thuvian, and a Perception roll from the others. Also, attempting to Aid Ioseph's Knowledge (Religion) roll might be a good idea. ;)[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Ioseph peers at the images in wonder. It is remarkable magic, and the detail makes it so real. The cleric gets lost in the image and notices things he might not even notice were he standing in that exact spot.

[sblock=aid another]
Looks like only Thuvian and Saranna can aid due to the ruling. If they both succeed then the total is 19 still probably a bit off, but might get us something. [/sblock]

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
Thuvian allows his mind to wander where it may as he focuses on the ongoing scene.

[sblock=Thuvian's mini stats]
Thuvian Darklight
Initiative: +3
AC: 13 (13 flat-footed, 10 Touch)
HP: 7 Current: 2
CMB: +0 CMD: 13 Fort: +1 Reflex: +3 Will: +3(5 vs illusions)

Current Weapon:
Notable Effects:

Darkness 1/day
Spells Remaining: 1st Level 3/3[/sblock]

Songdragon

Explorer
Saranna attempts to form her thoughts and help Ioseph's recall of his religious knowledge... before trying to form her own thoughts on the image before them...

(( Knowledge (Religion) aid 1d20+1=17 Success! ))
(( Perception 1d20+8=20 ))

Qik

First Post
As the others continue to concentrate, the gnome turns over a second card. It's original image - an ear - rises out of its surface and comes to linger with the first card's imagery. The images of the hooded figures return, this time much more clearly. As the group watches, they see two such figures stealing into a small cottage in the dead of night, cast some sort of incapacitating spell on the home's occupant (the scholarly halfling seen earlier), and then make off with him in the night. This image transforms like the others, swirling into a collage of shapes and forms which soon die down, regress, and then disappear altogether. After a moment or two, the gnome opens his eyes, and sighs heavily, a smile on his weary face. "Fate be...I was fortunate to find a group such as yourselves. Using your abilities as focal points, I was able to divine much. Come, come, let us return to the parlor and get comfortable - there is much to discuss."

The group follows the gnome upstairs and into the sitting room. After spending a few minutes making another cup of tea, the gnome returns, pours one for himself, and then spends a few minutes in silence, lost in thought. After a time, he addresses the others.

"Well now...I was quite successful in divining the fate and whereabouts of my seeing-deck - with your help, of course. It seems that the Ears of the Whisperer are indeed responsible for the theft of my deck. The cards are being held in a cave that the Eyes seem to be using as a base of some sort - this cave lies in the hills to the east, only a few hours' journey from my home. I will make a map for you before you set out on your journey tomorrow. It is worth mentioning that the path leading to these hills travels through a forest rife with malicious fey, the presence of which may in fact be due to the Eyes themselves. In any event, these woods are rarely visited because of the danger they hold, which makes them a perfect location for the Eyes."

"As you may have foreseen yourselves, this cave seems to be guarded by duergars; I also sensed the presence of a dangerous cave creature known as a darkmantle. So it seems as though you will meet some resistance once you enter the cave, if not before...I suggest you prepare yourselves for this resistance. In fact, I may have some things which can help you in your endeavor..." At this, the gnome makes his way over to a small cabinet, murmurs a few words to unward it, then pulls out a bundle of scrolls and a few small potions. "These should help," he says, placing the objects on the table.

"Now, there is one last item of note. As we witnessed, the order seems to have kidnapped a man, who is actually someone that I know quite well. His name is Phedilo Crea - he is an expert in all manner of arcane items, and as a devout follower of Issolatha, especially schooled in items relating to the divinatory arts. It is my belief that the Ears have taken possession of him in order to enlist his aid in unraveling the secrets of my seeing-deck, which I created in part to not willingly give up there secrets. He is a bit of a craven man, but has a good heart - you would be doing a good thing were you to rescue him as well."

"Now then," says the gnome, draining the last of his tea, "unless you have any questions, I propose that we all turn in - you may stay in my guestroom, it will be cramped, but will suffice - as you have a busy day tomorrow."

[sblock=OOC]600 XP for a fully successful completion of the skill challenge. The gnome has also given you four scrolls of Longstrider (CL 4), and 4 potions of Cure Light Wounds (CL 1).

RP as you'd like; otherwise, casters, let me know what spells you want to prepare for the morning, and we'll be off soon. I assume you'll do the same marching order?[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
When the group is alone and crammed into the "guest room" Ioseph tries to learn more of his strange companions. He turns to Saranna saying, "Your question earlier about finding myself in Venza and then in the gnomes employ." He looks resigned and as he sits on the floor he gazes at the wooden sun over his chest. "I'm not sure I have an answer to that. I have been trying to help those who can't help themselves for years now. Wandering the Baronies, and then the farms and vineyards around Venza. Always trusting Helerion would guide my steps to lead me to where my help was needed."

"I have helped people find lost live stock. Helped in building new homes, taking care of the sick, an even burying their loved ones after they died. But I have always been alone and on the road."

He looks to everyone quickly and adds, "Not that I don't mind the company. It's just new to me." He takes the large hammer from his lap. "This," he says hefting it, "I have only used this once before. I had never killed anyone, anything till today."

He stops and bows his head. "I am sorry. I am not sure of all this, it is so... different. Why did you decide to help the gnome?" He asks Saranna, but looks to the others as if he would like to know from them as well.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Standard:
Free:
Swift:
5' step:[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC] I think Ioseph could use the darts we found to good effect. Just would need someone else to let him know that. ;)

Marching order works for me.

Note: to Qik - I am thinking of using my remaining DMCs to LvL up Ioseph (possible after next combat). I would wait till he was down on his last leg and wish to play it as a surge in new found power granted him by Helerion. Up to you though as the GM.

EDIT: Also will use channel energy to make sure group is at full HP in the morning.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +3
AC: 18 (15 Flat-Footed, 13 Touch)
HP: 14/14
CMB: +2 CMD: 15
Fort: +5 Reflex: +4 Will: +5

Perception: +2, Sense Motive: +2

Current Weapon in Hand: warhammer (+0, 2d6+3, critx3)

Consumables:
potion of cure light wounds (d8)

Special Abilities:
Channel Energy(positive, 1d6): 5/5
Deflection Aura: 1/1
Strength Surge (+1): 5/5

Spells
Orisons: Guidance, Stablize, Light
1st Level: Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, d- Shield[/sblock]

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Worth mentioning that those darts are all of the "small" type, so Ioseph will be taking a penalty if he uses them - kind of a funny image, him sheathing his huge hammer only to pull out a tiny dart. I'd have to figure out how many the mite who got away had on him, but you did find ~30 or so altogether, FYI.

As for leveling - feel free to do so as soon as you're able. Were Ioseph an optimized combat beast to begin with, I would give pause, but as it stands I don't think it'll cause too much of a problem with the encounters as they've been designed. We'll try to suss it out so that it can be a suitably dramatic moment for him.

Just to give everyone an idea of where we are in things: we're about halfway through the adventure as I planned it (quick, I know). I have started to work on a little add-on - it wouldn't be too long, but I think what I have in mind would provide a nice change of scenery from this first part of the adventure, and it would give everyone enough experience to reach level two. Just wanted to give everyone a sense of things behind the curtain.[/sblock]

Satin Knights

First Post
Arianna (Mermaid Synthesist 1)

"Well, fishing for a rich husband looked to be eternally boring. So, I came to where my people do not go, to see what they do not see. When and if I return, I will have what they do not have, the power of knowledge. Very profitable thing that is."

"Cleric, these battle wounds here, you will not be able to heal. Since my battle skin is planar, it requires special majiks or sacrifices to repair it. Since you don't see much of me through the scales, if my mermaid self needs healing, I will call out for it. If the organic armor disappears in a puff of smoke, yep, you can assume I am in real trouble."
"You mean if I disappear, you will be helpless little one." "I thought you said you wanted to be the strong silent type this time. Here you go revealing yourself, and so early." "These pups are no match for me in battle." "But their planning would outsmart you every time. That is why I am in charge. That was our bargain!" "Just heal me so I may sleep and prepare for tomorrows battle. Your day is over. And tomorrow, use the other armor too." "Sleep in darkness, wake in darkness, stand in darkness, all alone. Remember well, I am the only one that can let you out into the light." "Yes Mistress"

Arianna demonstrates repairing her grumpy armor by casting. After the scars close up and heal, "Sleep now." Balancing back on her tail slightly to prepare, she dismisses her battle dress which dissolves in a puff of smoke. "He can get a bit hot headed from time to time."

Arianna strings a low lying hammock between a couple support beams near the door. Even though the center touches the floor, it provides some arc that she needs. She takes her sleeping bag and waddles very slowly out into the hallway. Holding her bag open and casting another spell, she and the bag get a good soaking of instantaneous rain. She returns and verily clumsily climbs into the sleeping bag and hammock, keeping the open end elevated enough that it does not leak and drip.[sblock=actions]Cast Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon and Drench[/sblock][sblock=mini-stats]Arianna Mermaid ~ Perception +2, Sense Motive +2, Low Light Vision
Base HP 10/0, AC 14, 12 T, 12 FF, Init +2
Current HP: 10
, Current AC: 14
CMB +0, CMD 12, Fort +1, Reflex +2, Will +4 . . Move 5'
Long Spear +0, d8 with 10' reach
Spear Gun +2, d8
Dagger +0, d4 or thrown +2, d4
Active Enhancements: none
In hand: none

Summon Monster I: 7/day, 0 used

.Cantrips: unlimited Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Drench, Jolt
1st Level: 2/day, 1 used Mage Armor, Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon

Beast ~ Perception +10, Sense Motive +2, Darkvision and Low Light Vision
Base HP 10/11, AC 15, 11 T, 14 FF, Init +1
Current HP: 10/11, Current AC: 15
CMB +4, CMD 15, Fort +1, Reflex +1, Will +4 . . Move 30'
Claw/Claw +4, d4+3
Longspear +4, d8+4 with 10' reach
Spear Gun +2, d8
Dagger +4, d4+1 or thrown +2, d4+3
Active Enhancements: none
In hand: none[/sblock]

sunshadow21

Explorer
Thuvian spends most of the evening with his nose in the book, oblivious to the cramped conditions. Nora, while apparently used to them as well, is more willing to share her complaints to those who care, looking defiantly at any who try to get to close to her little nest.

Remove ads