Tur An Tiel classes

Rhialto

First Post
Having created the bustling world of Tur An Tiel--which you can visit on this thread--I have been working of a few world specific character classes. Most of the mechanics are based on classes from various setting and alternative d20 games. At the moment, these classes are the Zealot (a more or less straight port of the Sohei from Oriental Adventures), the Noble (I'm twiddling with combining the Star Wars/Wheel of Time class with some of the features of the Rokugan Courtier class), and the Janissary, whose resemblences to a certain Wheel of Time class are merely skin deep.;)

Also under consideration is the Cavalier, who'd be adapted from Samurai, if I could figure out how to do the weapons...

THE JANISSARY

Trained by the Society of the Sword, the Janissary is a warrior skilled in stealth and speed. Sacrificing armor and versatility for mobility and single-mindedness, the Janissaries are a fighting force feared throughout Tur An Tiel, commanding the highest prices for their services.

Adventures: Most Janissaries approach adventures from a professional angle, seeing them as jobs to fulfill. Most are mercenaries, though some follow causes they believe in. Whatever their type, Janissaries are famous for staying with their missions to the bitter end.

Characteristics: Janissaries make excellent scouts and spies thanks to their skills in stealth and quick movement. They possess the ability to be formidable fighters, though their lack of armor may

Alignment: Janissaries may be of any alignment. Most are members of the Society of the Slaying Sword, and Lawful Neutral as a result, but this is not required. While there is a tendency towards Lawful alignments among the Janissaries, a non-Lawful alignment is no hindrance to Janissary skills.

Religion: Most Janissaries worship the simple act of fighting more than anything else. However, the religious among them can worship virtually any god, though Lleu, Surya, Syr, and (for the less pleasant) Thanatos are all popular choices.

Background: Tur An Tiel's supreme mercenary guild, the Society of Slaying Sword is known to take in orphans who show potential, and train them from a young age in the ways of the Janissary. The orphans learn the skills and attitude necessary to be a member of the most feared class of warriors in Tur An Tiel.
A few independent schools of Janissaries exist, founded by ex-Society members, but these are all small, so as not to be percieved as a threat by the Society of the Slaying Sword.

Races: Most Janissaries are human, though orphans of any races maybe taken. Termani, Ulheru, Half-Elves and Half-Goblins all make reputable Janissaries.

Other Classes: Janissaries get along with most other classes, having been trained in functioning as a group from an early age. Still, they are known to clash with Paladins and clerics occasionally due to differences in philosophy.

Game Rule Information
Abilities: A Janissary requires a good Strength and Dexterity. A good Constitution is also often a help, while a good Intelligence gives the skills needed for many missions. Wisdom is used by a Janissary for many skills, as well as helping their armor class.
Alignment: Any
Hit Dice: d8

BAB: +1/level
Good Save(s): Reflex

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at each additional level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Janissary.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Janissary is proficient with the Greatsword (their weapon of choice), the quarterstaff, the dagger, the punching dagger, the club, the sling, the dart and the shruiken.
A Janissary is not proficient in wearing armor or shields, but is highly trained in dodging blows, developing a "sixth sense" that lets them avoid even unanticipated attacks. A Janissary adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to AC, in addition to her normal Dexterity modifier, and her AC improves as she gains levels. The Wisdom and AC bonuses represent a preternatural awareness of danger, and a Janissary does not lose either, even in situation where she loses her Dexterity modifier due to being unprepared, ambushed, stunned, and so on. (Janissaries do lose these AC bonuses when immobilized.)
A Janissary's abilities require freedom of movement. When wearing armor, a Janissary loses her AC bonus for Wisdom, AC bonus for class and level, special abilities, virtual feats, and enhanced movement. In addition, wearing armor heavier than leather imposes penalties on Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble. Also Swim checks suffer a -1 penalty for every 5 pounds of armor and equipment carried.

Fast Movement: A Janissary adds +10 feet to their movement when she is unarmored, and reasonably unencumbered.

Evasion: If exposed to any effect that normally allows a character to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, the Janissary takes no damage with a successful saving throw. A Janissary can only evade when wearing no armor and being reasonably unencumbered. It is an extraordinary ability.

Weapon Focus: As a result of her training, a Janissary recieves a bonus virtual feat of Weapon Focus in the Greatsword. This is recieved only when the Janissary is unarmored, and reasonably unencumbered. At 7th level, this becomes equivalent to Greater Weapon Focus.

Dance of the Blade: Starting at 2nd level, (and continuing every 6 levels thereafter) a Janissary learns how to speed up her reaction time to superhuman levels, recieving a +2 bonus to her initiative checks. This bonus may only be recieved if the Janissary is fighting with a Janissary weapon, unarmored and reasonably unencumbered. It is an extraordinary ability.

Uncanny Dodge: Starting at 3rd level, the Janissary gains the extraordinary ability to react to danger before her senses would normally allow her to do so. At 3rd level and above, she retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker.
At 6th level, the Janissary can no longer be flanked; she can react to opponents on opposite sides of her as easily as she can react to a single attacker. This defense denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack her. The exception to this defense is that a rogue four levels higher than the character can flank her (and thus sneak attack her).
At 11th level, the Janissary recieves an intuitive sense that alerts her to danger from traps, giving her a +1 to Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks by traps. At 14th level, these bonuses rise to +2. At 17th they rise to +3, and at 20th, they rise to +4.
A Janissary only recieves an Uncanny Dodge if unarmored, and reasonably unencumbered.

Graceful Stealth: At 4th level, a Janissary develops an extraordinary ability at stealth, as a result of intense conditioning and training of the body. A Janissary may add her Reflex save as a bonus to her Hide and Move Silently skills. This may only be used when a Janissary is unarmored and reasonably unencumbered.

Weapon Specialization: As a result of their training, a Janissary recieves a bonus virtual feat of Weapon Specialization in the Greatsword at 5th level. This is recieved only when the Janissary is unarmored, and reasonably unencumbered. At 11th level, this becomes Greater Weapon Specialization.

Leap of Clouds: At 7th level or higher, a Janissary's jumping distance is not limited by her height.

Improved Critical: As a result of their extensive training, a Janissary recieves a bonus virtual feat of Improved Critical in the Greatsword at 9th level. This is recieved only when the Janissary is unarmored, and reasonably unencumbered.

Improved Evasion: At 9th level or higher, a Janissary now takes only half damage on a failed Reflex save, and no damage on a successful save.

----------------------------------------------

And there's the Janissary. I'm considering swapping the Greatsword for the Longsword, but am still hesitating on this. Opinions?

Last edited:

med stud

First Post
I like the flavour, and it seems balanced. I dont think there's a need to exchange the weapon, since the janissarys arent proficient with shields.

niastri

First Post
The Janissary is horribly overpowered. What you have is a character with fighter hit points and bab with Monk abilities and Rogue abilities.

Then you add a few virtual feats and give them 4 sp/level.

This character class would be very unbalanced in a traditional D and D world. If the other classes are similarly powerful, it looks great, but it is very strong as is.

I imagine the class also gets good fort and reflex saves as well? It would make sense the way the class is designed but would make it even worse.

Jeph

Explorer
I'd make the HD d8, and maybe use either only good ref, or medium fort and ref (obviously, you're familiar with the medium save progressions, having referenced WoT and Sw a couple of times). Looks pretty good. :)

If used in another camapaign setting, I'd probably make it a PrC, though. But hey, your setting, your classes. :)

Rhialto

First Post
Hmm, one vote for well-balanced, one vote for horribly unbalanced, one vote for 'I'd tweak it myself...'

I think I'm doing all right then...

And Jeph--I thought about the PrC--and then discarded it as too unfair... I mean, can you imagine the scene....

Master: You have progressed well in the ways of fighting, my student!

Student: Thank you my master...

Master: At last you are ready for the ways of the Janissary! Now, I wish you to discard all your armor, and relearn your fighting style from the ground up....

Student: Master...?

Master: Silence, student. It is time for you develop new abilities at a great cost to your old ones!

Student: This is another mystic test, isn't it...?

Master: God, I wish it was...

Last edited:

Rhialto

First Post
Just made a pair of minor additions...

First finally listed something about saves. Good Reflex.

And now the Janissary can wield the awesome might of the shruiken! It's a bit overwhelming, I admit, but it fit in with the feel of the class, so I figured, I'd risk unbalancing them. ;)

I personally think it looks balanced, although perhaps space out the abilities more and maybe add a few more at higher levels since I don't see a reason to take the class after 9th level, also probably down grade the HD to d8 since you're stepping into alot of the fighter's territory (full BAB, d10 HD, and weapon specialization).

Remove ads