DT's The Undiscovered Frontier

Shayuri

First Post
Hehehe

So, I'm curious now. In light of these revelations, on an OOC basis, what is magic? Mellisande has Knowledge: Arcana, so she thinks she knows what magic is, but how does that interact with what is ostensibly a sci fi setting?

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I was wondering that myself. My character is a "sorcerer" but she was also the chief physicist on the ship, if that makes the science = magic connection.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Sorry that I missed this discussion as I haven't been on the Talking the Talk section lately. I was worried how the reveals would be taken. That you are playing Dungeons and Dragons in a Gamma World scenario, but that your Gamma World is actually a part of the Colony Ship Warden via Metamorphisis Alpha. And the aliens invaders from the Metamorphisis Alpha campaign are actually the Sathar from Star Frontiers, so you are actually playing in four different games at once. And yes, there are Drasalites and the Star Frontiers universe if the campaign takes us that way. :)

Jim Ward, the creator of Gamma World and Metamorphisis Alpha, saw these campaigns as companion pieces, which is why the two share similar rules. If we were playing over a table, I would have given these reveals slowly and started everyone off at a lower level. As it is I felt that we've played for long enough of a time and you deserved some answers for sticking with it so long. Of course, I still have a number of reveals still left.

Arthur C. Clarke's famous quote was a big part of wrapping it all together, as noted by GlassEye: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." So did the fact that the original TSR crew mixed sci fi with fantasy, such as Gygax's 'Expedition to the Barrier Peaks' where a Metamorphisis Alpha spaceship crashes in Greyhawk and makes a mess at the border lands. See also the D&D campaigns of Blackmoor and Tekemul where the descendants of the fantasy world are actually the descendants of high-tech space colonists who have lost their access to knowledge and technology.

Finally, I decided to throw in the part of gods being high tech men from my favorite fiction story, "Lord of Light" by Zelazny. In the tale, a colony ship arrives at a planet where the regular folks are supposed to develop sufficient terraforming of the world for basic survival, while the scientists and engineers stay above to maintain technology levels. What happens instead is that the farmers and miners who develop the planet are kept in low technology and subjugated by the scientist who stay in the spaceships, and take up the mantle of Hindu gods to keep the population in control. All except one engineer named Sam who decides to restart Buddhism to rebel against his fellows. I alluded to him earlier as a precursor character just for fun:

"His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the -atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god, but then he never claimed not to be a god."

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hee

I've no complaints about all that...I love sci fi, and I even have a soft spot for science fantasy, but just in terms of characters and what we do and what we know, I am unsure how to proceed from here. :)

A Beguiler's magic is hard to explain as science, but theoretically Mellisande is very well versed in how it works. Just trying to figure out what that means in light of these newly revealed facts. :)

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Hee

I've no complaints about all that...I love sci fi, and I even have a soft spot for science fantasy, but just in terms of characters and what we do and what we know, I am unsure how to proceed from here. :)

A Beguiler's magic is hard to explain as science, but theoretically Mellisande is very well versed in how it works. Just trying to figure out what that means in light of these newly revealed facts. :)

Just play it as you are. The basis of your powers is another one of my unrevealed reveals. ;) So is your identity. I missed an opportunity to add that Mellisande mixed her movements working with the machine to rhythm and music she was hearing in her head. <sigh>

Remove ads