Buffer Adventure

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
I am just about a week away from completing Island at the Axis of the World. Fantastic adventure, but - for me and my group at any rate - pretty fast-moving.

Wondered if anyone had any suggestions for a short, investigative buffer adventure that I could use between Island and Dying Skyseer?

Yeah, I was worried about that. The second adventure is MUCH longer, but it's not ready quite yet.

Here's a snippet that might provide some ideas.

[[Sidebar]]
Meanwhile in the News
The adventure already has a lot going on, but if you want to give a little extra life to the city of Flint, you can occasionally drop mentions of the following current events. People murmur about these in cafes, gossip on the streets, or read about them in papers. Only a few have even a tangential connection to this adventure’s plot. You might spin some of these into side quests, but be careful that your players don’t latch onto the wrong ones and run off chasing red herrings.

• Murder. The Ragman has grown more active, and is believed responsible for four deaths over the course of two weeks. Flint police investigate, and an impoverished Yerasol Veteran claims he saw the same pattern of wounds on fellow soldiers in the last war.
• Music. Randall Pell, a renowned composer from Slate, will be conducting the Navras Opera House and plans to hold auditions for performers. This has led to a boom in sales of ‘respectable’ attire for amateur Docker musicians, who want to make a good impression.
• Monsters. Citizens are warned to avoid the western bayous around the Battalion school in Pine Island. The martial university has imported exotic wild beasts from a Risuri colony in Elfaivar, and will be conducting exercises in beast tracking and monster slaying.
• Marriage. Wealthy industrialist and renowned son of Flint Guy Goodson is getting married to a Crisillyiri noblewoman: Faith Unitas. The ceremony will be closed to the public, but reporters are eagerly sharing every detail of the arrangements. The intense interest has journalists excited about all the papers they’ll sell when King Aodhan has his marriage early next year.
[[End Sidebar]]

If you'd rather go for something published, . . . well, are you running it for 4e or Pathfinder?

gideonpepys

I'm running the adventure for 4E. A published short adventure would be ideal, but I'm not aversed to a bit of work!

Thanks for the list of ideas. Does the Ragman appear later, or remain an enigma throughout the series?

I think having a 'buffer' adventure will work nicely if I make it completely irrelevant to the series as a whole: illustrating what day-to-day missions can be like in the RHC, and different enough not to create confusion when the PCs finally return to the main adventure. (They've already had one such mission into the bayous near Flint.)

Not to sound impatient, but how many such buffer sessions do you think I'll need?

Our target is to release at the end of the month. Honestly, we might slip by a week. Completely my bad, since I waited too long to sketch out the maps we need to send off for cartography.

If you need, I'm willing to send along the draft text of the adventure to you, and the hand-sketched maps if you really want to get started.

Otherwise, the Rag Man was intentionally designed as a mystery that is not tied to the main plot, so you can use it whenever you need it.

gideonpepys

Thanks for the offer. I'd very much appreciate the forward-planning a sneak-peak at the adventure text would grant me, and I look forward to reading it. (You have my email details, I think.)

The Ragman is a great idea. Every industrializing slum needs its own Jack-the-Ripper-style murder mystery. Preferably unsolved...

DonTadow

First Post
Though no where near the quality, the Elusive Foe adventure for Pathfinder is surprisingly easy to wrap around the 1st adventure.

Remove ads