[PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Cyberzombie

Explorer
Cool! I've got a couple of ideas ready to go. And print would be WAY cooler than PDF publication.

Now I just need to go hone those ideas. Lotsa talented competition around here!

mythusmage

Banned
Banned
THG Hal said:

Well we could definately help in that area:D .
So is this something you would like to see, more POI's (Places of Interest) usable in any campaign setting?
{The Mad Editor strikes again!;)}

Yep. and not just the usual. A private home, a craftsman's shop (lots of possibilities there), a shepherd's hut, etc. Complete with descriptions and plot hooks.

Recurring NPCs would also be nice. Not just villains, but supporting cast, patrons, and folks who come into the PCs' lives every once in a great while.

One thing I'd really like to see would be an article on presentation. Making an adventure come to life. Advice on characterisation, descriptions, setting the mood, and pacing (along with other stuff I can't think of right now.) Making that chat with the random passerby something that adds to the session, rather than being another delay before the climatic battle.

Don't ask for much, do I?;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Re: Re: Re: [PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

goodmangames said:
On this topic, though: What would people LIKE to see?

Hmm, what would I like to see in ENMag (lets make that the standard abbreviation!)?

I'd like to see it stay true to its roots, namely, that it stays focused right here, on the forums of the site that started it all. This magazine is going to be published pretty much do to incredible fan drive on this site, and it should stay true to that drive. The fact that you asked what we want is a great sign. Obviously, you can't do every suggestion, but things that seem to ring out clearly are the things that you should absolutely do.

A good example is the talk of a low-magic campaign. This has been a hot topic recently, of how it could and should be done (since you would, in truth, have to rework some rules since magic items and weapons and upper-level spells are necessary as levels get higher), so its a no-brainer that that should get some attention in an early issue.

Another thing I'd like to see is a heaping helping of Open Game Content. This is a big thing with Dragon and Polyhedron right now, so just leap ahead where they're lagging behind. I'm not saying you should go overboard and make sure you give us so much OGC per issue, but where you can, do, and where you can't, don't. Its that easy and it makes everyone happy.

One thing I don't want to see is the magazine stray too far (if at all) from d20 content. A few people have posted that they want to see it cover some other RPG systems out there. Mistake. The magazine doesn't come out that often, and splitting its focus would only hurt it. The website that spawned this magazine is for all things d20, and that's were ENMag should stay.

I would like to see Eric Noah deliver the subscriptions, but I'll take what I can get. :D

I'd like you to make sure back issues are available (not for me, since Im subscribing the instant its possible, but as a general policy).

That's my opinion on the matter, and Im eagerly awaiting getting issue number 1 in my hands. This is gonna rock!

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Re: Re: Re: Re: [PR] EN World Print Magazine to be Published by Goodman Games

Alzrius said:
One thing I don't want to see is the magazine stray too far (if at all) from d20 content. A few people have posted that they want to see it cover some other RPG systems out there. Mistake. The magazine doesn't come out that often, and splitting its focus would only hurt it. The website that spawned this magazine is for all things d20, and that's were ENMag should stay.

Don't worry - that's one thing we won't do. In fact we can't - I have no knowledge of game systems other than D&D, and I'm the editor. I can't do that if I don't understand the subject matter. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, one quick thing - there are loads of great ideas here, but with only a finite number of pages per issue, we obviously can't do them all in the first issue. That doesn't mean I'm not making notes and thinking about how we can incorporate them, but you may well have to wait a while for some of them! :)

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Re: Story Hours

So I love many of the story hours here on EN World, yet I've never even read the fiction in Dragon magazine since I restarted my subscription with the advent of 3E.

I ask myself: Why?

And I answer: I'm not looking for that in a magazine. On ENWorld there are pages and pages and pages of story hours and such. There are more print page equivalents here in ENWorld then in all of the Dragon magazines that have ever been published.

Heck, I assume that the writing quality of the fiction in Dragon is of higher quality than the Story Hours. These are paid writers, after all, that have been run through an editorial pass or two. But the Story Hours interact with the readers, have stats posted in the Rogue Gallery, and convey that the players and GMs are real people.

You just can't put that in a magazine.

So mark me down as a vote against fiction or story hours in the EN World Player's Journal. I'm sure that other people's opinions will vary, which is why I wanted to give my internal dialogue on the matter rather than just saying "Grog say fiction bad."

John

goodmangames

First Post
mythusmage said:
{The Mad Editor strikes again!;)}

Yep. and not just the usual. A private home, a craftsman's shop (lots of possibilities there), a shepherd's hut, etc. Complete with descriptions and plot hooks.

That sounds like a great idea. It's already being done, too -- have you seen Scrollworks? It's a great d20 zine put out by, well, Scrollworks Press. Last issue had a terrific article on the residence/shop of a noted gem dealer. The latest issue covers road wardens, including their waystations. Now that we're doing the ENmag I suppose I shouldn't be plugging a competitor ;), but I personally like Scrollworks and they do a really good job. Check it out:

http://www.scrollworkspress.com/index.html

But yes, for the record, the request for distinctive drop-in locations for the ENmag is noted as well. ;)

Blacksway

Rock Monkey
and...

will it be available outside the US of A? I know many here are not american (even Morrus himself).

If not then could back-issues be made available as pdf's at some point perhaps?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases