'Origin' of Your User Name

s/LaSH

First Post
Take my initials. Cram them into one space, so they look like some crazy runic tangle. Simplify that tangle into an easily drawn symbol. That's what I put at the end of my signature.

Fast forward a few years. I've used it so often I write the symbol as fast as any other letter, and because of its shape it always feels like I'm cutting the symbol into something, like Zorro's Z. I start referring to it as a chop (is that Chinese dialect for signature?) or slash.

And from there, I just elaborated a little. 'Slash' can refer to a... biological term, so I quickly changed it to s/LaSH, because the / symbol was both another meaning of 'slash' and resembled one of the lines from the original symbol. The capitalisation sequence, which is very important, was balanced out in my head one day. If the 'a' is a pivot, then the rest of the word weighs correctly and won't fall over.

I haven't enhanced it since then. Now that I think about it, it's quite crazy (I calculated a capitalisation sequence?!?), but hey, if someone walked up to me and said, "I compliment you on your rational, totally sane outlook on the world", I'd check them for drug use. Or maybe brain damage. If anyone's seen Peter Jackson's Bad Taste, they'll know what level of damage I'm talking about.

Bagpuss

Legend
Bagpuss comes from a children's TV show that was on while I was growning up in the UK. About a magical cloth cat.

I reused the name for a Nosferatu Elder character I played which was a shortening of "Bag of Puss".

I took it here as a laugh once all the Iconic's started appearing. But I've been posting here since before 3E came out, originally as DMaple.

Chain Lightning

First Post
I just went with something straight forward and simple. A random spell from the PHB.

Plus, whenever someone uses the spell, I take the blue Viz marker and draw lighting arcs between the miniatures on the game map. :D

Pbartender

First Post
It's a nickname I picked up at work.

I work at a partical accelerator that makes antimatter... Antiprotons in particular. "P" is an abbreviation for protons. A "P" with a horizontal line over it is abbreviation for antiprotons. It is spelled "pbar", and is pronounced, "Pee-bar".

One of our primary jobs is to produce and store antiprotons. Hence, I am a Pbar-tender.

'o Skoteinos

First Post
'o Skoteinos (pronounced as ho skoteinos) is the nickname of an ancient Greek philosopher, Herakleitos.

'o Skoteinos means the obsure / dark one, and Herakleitos was called that because of his view on life.

The name suits me in so many ways...:)

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
There is a computer game called Dungeon Keeper (a wonderful game), in it the cursor is a hand that picks up, directs, slaps, monsters and adventures...it was called the 'hand of evil'.

I used it when signing on to the forums dealing with that game. When I started here I just kept it as it really applied to what a DM does. :)

I have thought about changing my to Yippy Coyotee or to my old BBS handle, Jamm'in Jake Jambore Street Preacher of Sin, but sort of like HoE.:)

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Lurks-no-More is word play; on one hand, as a registered poster, I lurk no more; on the other hand, the name's a modification of Grey-no-More, from the inestimable Cordwainer Smith (Hiya, Aitch Eye!).

Remove ads