Proposal: change the rules for character approval

Two quick, questions (sorry if this isn't the right place for this, but it concerns character creation/updating):

1) I thought I read somewhere that we get an Expertise feat for free at lvl 5, is that true?

2) Are themes allowed? I thought I'd read a thread discussing its possible inclusion, but nothing final on the decision to include them.

Reason I ask is because I'm going over Kaeysari's sheet. I only see the normal allotment of feats from 1 - 6 (4 feats), and one of these is Heavy Blade Expertise. I also see that she has the Ordained Priest Theme and wasn't sure if that was legal or not.

Sorry for being all noobish on the house rules here, just want to make sure I'm doing a good job on these sheets :)

Karlowitch

First Post
CrimsonFlameWielder said:
I thought I read somewhere that we get an Expertise feat for free at lvl 5, is that true?

L4W Charter said:
The following is the current list of house rules and exceptions:

• From Player's Handbook: Amendment: All characters may take one extra multiclass feat as long as it is a Weapon Training feat. (Discussion here)
  • From Player's Handbook 2: Amendment: The Expertise feats are not allowed until Level 5, and all characters at level 5 get a free Expertise feat. (Discussion here)
  • .........and so on
So yes, everyone gets a free expertise feat at level 5 :) !

CrimsonFlameWielder said:
2) Are themes allowed? I thought I'd read a thread discussing its possible inclusion, but nothing final on the decision to include them.
I do not know the answer for that though...

Luinnar said:
Each character needs 1 approval from a Senior Reviewer and 1 approval from anyone. So feel free to go through and approve any of the sheets. :)

Well, I didn't know that either :) ! Here I go character sheets !

WEContact

First Post
Themes are allowed, provided they come from a source that was released more than a month ago. Ignatz is a Pack Outcast, for example, and there's a Scholar and an Alchemist in my current party.

Themes are allowed, provided they come from a source that was released more than a month ago. Ignatz is a Pack Outcast, for example, and there's a Scholar and an Alchemist in my current party.

Awesome, Thanks for letting me know WEContact! I'll have to take a look at them and maybe add one to my character :)

Oh and... bummer, we can't take an expertise before level 5? Guess I'll have to take another feat!

Last edited:

weldon

Explorer
I did some digging, and found out that when a page is semi-protected in Wikia, it's locked for new users as well as unregistered users. A user is "new" for (I think) 4 days after creating their account.

That kind of sucks for us. I've unlocked the page, so anyone can edit it now. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's better than new users not being able to submit characters.
I've been absent for over a year, so please forgive me if I'm missing bits and pieces of the context...

What do you think of the idea of letting players change the categories on their character sheets to "tag" them for review? I suppose we would need a few tags to track the various states (eg, needs review, needs judge review, approved, etc.) We could still have a central page that lists all the character sheets that need review for each of those categories, but it would be automated in that players only need modify their own character sheets (they don't need permission to modify a group page).

If that would work for everyone, I'd be happy to put in a little time this week to work on the listing and write up the instructions for how to "tag" your character sheets.

In essence, what I'm suggesting is that players would add two categories to their character sheets (review requested, judge approval requested). The "characters requesting review" page would list those that need both, and those that only need a judge approval. Once a reviewer has finished looking over the sheet, they would remove the "review requested" category.

Now when a judge checks the "characters requesting review" page, they would see a list of those that still need their first review, and those that are only waiting for judge approval. After reviewing a character sheet (and approving it), they would remove the "judge approval requested" category. The character sheet would then drop off the page of characters that are requesting review.

Optionally, the judge could add the category "approved" and the character would automatically be added to the "approved characters" page.

When a character levels up, the player would update their sheet and then add those two categories back to their page and the process would be repeated.

Judges and reviewers can "subscribe" to changes for that category and will be notified by Wikia when new characters need to be reviewed.

Hmmmm. After I wrote all this up, I went to Wikia and I see that these categories already exist but that they are probably out of date. Has my suggestion already been tried and been found to not work?

covaithe

Explorer
Can you get notification of changes to a category? I didn't know that. I'm pretty sure you couldn't using the original enworld wiki.

The reason we didn't use the categories in the first place, way back when we started using the wiki, is that there's no security on them. Anyone can put their own character in the Approved category, potentially bypassing the review process completely. I care less about this now than I did then, but it's still a point of consideration.

Also, historically I think that the character sheet template has had the "Requesting Approval" category on it to start with, which means that that category has lots of half-finished character sheets that were abandoned before ever being submitted.

One more argument: categories have no way to tell when a page was added to them, so there's no easy way to tell how long a character has been waiting for approval.

weldon

Explorer
You can "follow" categories to get automatic updates when pages are added to the category. AFAIK, there are no notifications when pages are removed from a category.

I see your point about approved characters. Thinking a little further, we really should mark a specific revision of the page as approved, not the page in general because it will continue to be edited. So I agree that there is a need for an approved page that is maintained by admins with links to the specific approved "version" of all character pages.

I'm still enamored of the idea of using categories (or something else) so that players only have to edit their own character sheet to update their status instead of updating a shared page where there is the potential for mistakes like removing someone else from the list of waiting characters, jumping in line, etc. I'll think about this a little more and see if I can come up with specific recommendations.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases