ZEITGEIST [ZEITGEIST] The Continuing Adventures of Korrigan & Co.

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
You game way too fast, man.

"We're not playing chess!" That's my motto.

Thirty second limit for a combat turn. That's our house rule. You get a fortune card if you stick to it, but your turn ends abruptly if you don't. Means 4E combat moves at a fair old lick, and sometimes feels like a real fight. I have to stick to the same rule.

... the visual concept is excellent.

I was thinking of something like Scanners, but didn't know if you-know-who could pull that off! I was worried about the 'rationale' too , but figured the players wouldn't even consider the ins and outs of it at this point. The impact would be lasting, though!

Oh, and I forgot one crucial detail in my report:

Leon's tiefling girlfriend, Lilly (a self-harming prostitute who runs a brothel in the bayou) treated Leon to an early morning session of fellatio which she said was in thanks for 'last night'.

Leon had no idea what she was talking about, but through delicate questioning (so as not to betray his ignorance) discovered that he had pleasured Lilly with his hand in the middle of the night (when he was in fact fast asleep). This, of course, was the hand that Doctor von Recklingjhausen stitched back on...

My idea is that the hand (as well as getting up to nocturnal naughtiness) has become sentient as a result of the proximity of so much witchoil when it was severed and then healed. It now embodies the ruthlessness that once drove Leon when he was General Dax Corbeau, leader of the infamous Straw Dogs during Yerasol IV.

Last edited:

gideonpepys

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Sent you three PMs with the whole thing laid out. Subject to change, though.

Wow. That's enough material for a seperate adventure path! I got quite excited reading it, but don't have the time or the energy for such a major diversion. Sounds as if your planning that the 'subplot' will actually form the campaign finale, am I right?

Funnily enough, though I don't plan to take the three adventures much further than 'buffers', there are some similarities between the alterations I have made and the adventures you have outlined, but I guess that's inevitable, given the aquatic flavour.

My very simple change is that the sahuagin are pursuing a man who stole maps and details of their underwater realm, and is now captive of the lizardmen (after his ship foundered during his flight from the Deep Ones).

He is a spy worker for a rich dwarven industrialist (and contact of one of the PCs) and informs the players that the sahuagin are planning an invasion. In fact, they just want their secrets back, and the 'invasion' story is a pretext for Black Star Mining to gain access to the sahuagin's deep sea mineral deposits (following a preemptive strike by Risur).

Later, when they have thwarted the dwarf's greedy plans by making peace with the sahuagin, the players will discover that the mineral deposits weren't all he was after. The sahuagin hold a powerful magical artifact that one of the players needs to prevent the 'Icy End of the Earth' from coming to pass.

At this point, the players discover that the sahuagin are ruled by aboleth left behind when the Axis Seal closed the path to their world. My players have tangled with aboleth before, in a previous campaign, and rather than have a rematch, I'm hoping they will opt for diplomacy and actually negotiate with the aliens.

The artifact is a prophesied object called the Stone of Not. The player came up with it, and neither he nor I know what it is at this stage. It connects with his Eschatology theme. I'm thinking maybe a meteorite from the planet Nem. But I haven't got a clue what it's actual import will be.

Any ideas?

I think none of what you have planned will conflict with anything we have planned. While a lot of naval encounters occur throughout the campaign (and it'd be easy and great, I think, to add in attacks by sahuagin or aboleth or whatever), I think the only actual underwater encounter is in adventure 3.

The party will have to deal with She Who Writhes, the fey titan of the seas around Risur, but not until epic tier. Otherwise, what's under the sea is open game.

Cheezmo Miner

80's DungeonMaster
Wow. That's enough material for a separate adventure path! I got quite excited reading it, but don't have the time or the energy for such a major diversion. Sounds as if your planning that the 'subplot' will actually form the campaign finale, am I right?

Yes, but only because I like the idea of giving the PCs a good take-no-prisoners shoot-em-up once they've gotten their capstone powers.

I'm glad you liked it--your subplot seems a lot less intrusive than mine and still looks fun. I love aquatic stuff. My Dread Island plot is admittedly ambitious, but we game fast--7-8 hour sessions every two weeks and I needed a lot of material to fill out the path's 2 year release schedule. Plus I wanted a lot of giant monsters.

Last edited:

Cheezmo Miner

80's DungeonMaster
The artifact is a prophesied object called the Stone of Not. The player came up with it, and neither he nor I know what it is at this stage. It connects with his Eschatology theme. I'm thinking maybe a meteorite from the planet Nem. But I haven't got a clue what it's actual import will be.

Any ideas?

A miniature dormant sun, just needs to be bonded with an atom or two. It can be ignited and replace the dying star at the center of the solar system. "Icy End of the Earth" actually refers to the death of the current sun. Perhaps the aboleth/sahuagin once used the Stone of Not as a power source, not having access to the sun in the deep trenches.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases