Leif's All-Eladrin DweomerFall Saga, [4E] [OOC 01] [full]

Sparky

Re: events can't always swing our way.

I'm all about fairness and balance. My comments weren't out of a sense of entitlement, but rather that I believe good games are about making interesting decisions. When a player can't act, they can't make a decision. I accept the randomness of D&D as a source of tension and excitement which is mitigated by player skill. But no amount of player skill can mitigate randomness if the player can't act. Stun == Bad.

That's my $0.02.

Leif

Adventurer
Re: events can't always swing our way.

I'm all about fairness and balance. My comments weren't out of a sense of entitlement, but rather that I believe good games are about making interesting decisions. When a player can't act, they can't make a decision. I accept the randomness of D&D as a source of tension and excitement which is mitigated by player skill. But no amount of player skill can mitigate randomness if the player can't act. Stun == Bad.

That's my $0.02.
For what it's worth, I agree 99.99%! In a face-to-face game, a stun effect is one thing that may perhaps keep a player quiet for a few minutes. In a PbP game, it's something entirely different and horrible, with the potential to take a character out of the action for a week or more!

Leif

Adventurer
[MENTION=51567]Lou[/MENTION] -- Nice move with the Ronson, Bro! Shoot, I thought Francheska was the Fire Wizard!

Shayuri

First Post
- Sparky, I didn't mean to imply you were commenting out of a sense of entitlement. I'm very sorry it came off that way (and, on rereading, I can see how it would). I'm not a big fan of 'stasis' type effects either, and Leif has an excellent point about PBP vs tabletop.

- Everyone: While I'm apologizing, let me add a big one for my quiet in this game. Part of it is the same scheduling issues that have slowed my daily updates...but this game poses some other challenges to me that I didn't expect. I created the character entirely with the online DDI character maker...which unfortunately does not export to a format that any other program can read. This means I only have access to my power descriptions at home. I've never really played a bard before, so I don't have the familiarity to just know what power does what by heart.

And I've been struggling with posting after gettin home just because I'm usually pretty burned out, and spiritually unable to resist the clarion call of The Old Republic. I say 'just a few missions,' but the next thing I know it's pushing 1am and I'm nodding off at the keyboard. It's a sickness.

So. I started a Notepad sheet this morning, which I -will- fill in with power descriptions from the DDI when I get home -before- scratching the TOR monkey's back. That should solve my problems and get me back in the game. Once again, I'm sorry that such a silly thing could lead me to inconvenience you all like this. I hope I can make it up to y'all.

Scotley

Hero
- Everyone: While I'm apologizing, let me add a big one for my quiet in this game. Part of it is the same scheduling issues that have slowed my daily updates...but this game poses some other challenges to me that I didn't expect. I created the character entirely with the online DDI character maker...which unfortunately does not export to a format that any other program can read. This means I only have access to my power descriptions at home. I've never really played a bard before, so I don't have the familiarity to just know what power does what by heart.

So. I started a Notepad sheet this morning, which I -will- fill in with power descriptions from the DDI when I get home -before- scratching the TOR monkey's back. That should solve my problems and get me back in the game. Once again, I'm sorry that such a silly thing could lead me to inconvenience you all like this. I hope I can make it up to y'all.

Hey I had some of the same difficulty with DDI and exporting. What I finally did was print to .pdf. The you can read it in Adobe reader or Foxit pdf which are free. If you don't already have print to .pdf as an option you can do a quick search and find a free one. I think that feature is included with some versions of Foxit reader. Strangely enough I couldn't print to .pdf from Internet Explorer so I had to load DDI in firefox first. I don't know if that was an issue with Adobe's print to .pdf or IE or something else. Anyway, you still won't be able to copy and paste text from the .pdf's which I think may have to do with the way DDI renders. I ended up having to track down my powers in Compendium and then copy them out in order to post them individually. I plan to use that route to build a text version of my character with Word or Notepad. If you find a more elegant solution I'd love to hear about it. I take these little technical hurdles as a personal affront and take considerable pleasure in overcoming them. I guess that makes me a masochist. I once spent a summer teaching myself to build and repair personal computers after I made the mistake of buying a Packard Bell as my first computer. If you think customer service and tech support is bad now you should have tried talking to the 'tech guy' at Office Max 20 years ago or calling the seriously intellectually challenged folks working the phones at Packard Bell.

Leif

Adventurer
- Sparky, I didn't mean to imply you were commenting out of a sense of entitlement. I'm very sorry it came off that way (and, on rereading, I can see how it would). I'm not a big fan of 'stasis' type effects either, and Leif has an excellent point about PBP vs tabletop.

And I've been struggling with posting after gettin home just because I'm usually pretty burned out, and spiritually unable to resist the clarion call of The Old Republic. I say 'just a few missions,' but the next thing I know it's pushing 1am and I'm nodding off at the keyboard. It's a sickness.

Believe it or not, Shayuri, when I first read this post I thought it was authored by Scotley! (The 'bard' should have tipped me off, oops.) I know that Lou has a genetic or voluntary tendency toward imbibing, too, so let me just plead with all three of you to ease up some! We like having you around and don't want your tickets punched prematurely by cirrhosis (best guess at spelling on that one) or anything like that.

Shayuri

First Post
Imbibing?

lol

I don't drink. Like...ever. Okay, I had a few daquiries when I was in Mexico. But seriously, that's it. I don't even drink beer. :)

Leif

Adventurer
You sure about that, Shayuri?? You just attacked a dead Sicuriju....

:D
No sweat, Sulannus did not really expend the resources mentioned in IC Post #90.

Shayuri

First Post
...but...okay, I'm confused.

I thought I was going back in time and narrating actions for the turn I'd missed, plus the current one.

So, when did it die?

Actually, nevermind. Probably best not to go beating a dead snake.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases